we are a very sorry bunch of sods

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by msilverstein47, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How is making a penis cake for a gay wedding any different from making a penis cake for a straight wedding?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or a Miley Cyrus party?

dapip repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm probably going to regret asking this but, what's a 'penis cake'?

Note: Please, do NOT provide pictures.

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #229 JBigjake, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    guignol repped this.
  7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Perhaps not necessary, but certainly not worth any damages, actual or punitive.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I kinda like the idea that everyone is equal before the law, myself.

guignol and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    So, if someone shot your child in the back of the head in cold blood, just because they felt like it, you'd want the arresting officer prosecuted, if he punched the killer in the face, while resisting arrest? And your kid's killer to get $500,000 in damages?

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Maybe you know or believe a quite different story than you posted? From the link you posted:

"In May 2002, a few hours after he arrived in the maximum-security tier at Cook County Jail, Degorski, now 41, was allegedly beaten by Thomas Wilson, who was a Cook County Sheriff's deputy.

The blows left Degorski with facial fractures that required surgery to insert two metal plates in his face. Wilson was placed on unpaid leave and eventually fired in 2004 by the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board."

I would point out that a jury seems to have agreed that the injuries were not a product of resisting arrest, but rather occurred after the man was in custody; and the deputy's employers also seem to have felt there was something improper involved.

And no, if the arresting officer punched a man who was resisting arrest even in a burglary case I'd back the officer no matter how serious the injuries were-- but the story as you presented it seems radically different from that hypothetical. If you know varying details about the case perhaps you could present them?

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't the issue more that, if we allow the police to go around beating confessions out of people, (or any one of a number of other possible transgressions), that we can't necessarily believe the results of the criminal justice system? For example, you can equally well argue that if your child was murdered would it be wrong if the police, being certain that they were guilty, planted forensic evidence. DNA evidence, I believe, being the other factor in the trial in this case.

Don't forget, there have been miscarriages of justice in other instances, (which I'm sure I don't need to remind you of), such as this and this, that involved both 'confessions' beaten out of people and scientific inaccuracies, (rather than deliberate 'fitting up'), which led to major miscarriages of justice.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised to hear you make that argument as I can well imagine the families in Guildford and Birmingham asking the same, (rhetorical), question.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #238 JBigjake, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Wilson was acquitted of assault charges.
    The incident occurred inside the jail. However, the jury was not informed that Degorski had been accused of and subsequently convicted of 7 murders. I doubt they were informed that Degorski had been acquitted of assault, but wouldn't be surprised if they were told that he had been fired.
    The average assault cases I've seen usually result in civil damages of $10-15,000.
    Edit: Look like, if the Illinois DOC acts promptly & properly, the most he'll see is $15K.
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...-man-convicted-in-browns-chicken-murders.html
    "Under Illinois law, the Illinois Department of Corrections can seek to recover all but $15,000 of Degorski’s award for the cost of incarcerating Degorski for the rest of his life ...
    “I’d like to say `thanks’ to the prison guard who beat him. That’s the only way we can get back at him,’’ said Manny Castro, father of Michael Castro, ... shot to death ... along with six coworkers. ...
    the jury heard Degorski had been charged with murder — but not with seven murders"

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    This was a civil case. The standards are different (as you well know,) but I imagine the civil jury heard arguments that the injuries were justifiable, and did not accept them?

The homicides don't strike me as relevant-- that is what I meant by everyone equal before the law. If he were already convicted and on death row he still would be entitled to sanctions against beating him gratuitously.

Charlie Manson is entitled to parole hearings no matter how inadvisable actually paroling him may seem.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Which would place you among the very sorry bunch of sods.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So then to clarify, you approve of the unnecessary beating of prisoners, based on the nature of the charges against them?

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    There's a lot of people who deserve a good beating.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OK

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Perhaps even in more than one Birmingham!

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #245 guignol, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    that he was in prison for murder instead of say, simple marijuana possession has a certain relevance because some prisoners are obviously more dangerous than others. but the gruesome details of his heinous crime have no bearing at all in the case we're talking about. at least not if what you expect in a court is rule of law and justice, as opposed to appeal to sentiment and vengeance.

on the soles of their feet.

and what's all this nonsense about lethal injection? drawing and quartering i say! the old ways were good ways.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jake seems to have missed the point.

The reason we don't allow brutal treatment of people regardless of what they've done, isn't for their benefit, (although it clearly does benefit them), it's because of what it says about US! If we allow that to happen to ANYONE, then it means we're not a civilised society.

As I've observed before on these threads, the reason I'm against the death, (and this goes for anyone including fellas like Hitler), is because, although THEY may be murderers and butchers, I'M NOT.

In any event, (and in what some may see as a more practical regard), the sort of person who would go around brutalising another person not in a position to fight back is PRECISELY the sort to carry out other acts, including 'fitting up' the suspect.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Right on spot. Besides there is something called due process and if the US consider itself a model of justice and humanity, every person that is accused of something should be treated the same way, regardless of his/her nationality and how sure we are of his/her guilt.

Besides if you try to take justice in your own hands, this might happen:

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #248 JBigjake, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Perhaps some modern techniques would also meet with your approval. Say, tasering & pepper spray?
    Unfortunately, in this scumbag's case, 2 jurors would not vote for execution, so he gets to spend the rest of his life in Statesville, at taxpayer expense. A place where mass-murderer Richard Speck declared, "If they only knew how much fun I was having, they'd turn me loose."
    We can be both brutal and civilized. After all, we still have boxing, MMA, ice hockey & rugby/gridiron.
    And, for the completely desensitized, Dancing With The Stars.
    As if that doesn't occur in whatever you consider to be a civilized, non-brutal country.
    Wow. He even made OJ flinch!

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I guess this guy was having fun too:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/us/louisiana-glenn-ford-freed/

25. JBigjake