WCQ: Mexico vs Jamaica 02/06/13

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Overachiever, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Solo digo si es uno o el otro, mejor que Salcido, por lo menos es un mediocampista real. El tiempo de experimentar y darle oportunidad a los jóvenes son en los amistosos, desperdiciamos esos juegos. Ponerlos en una eliminatoria tiene cierto riesgo, yo en lo personal si los pongo en la alineación, pero no puedo hablar por El Chepo.

2. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Many of you idolize Azteca way to much, almost as much as Americans do. I will concede that the team has not played as well as they should have at Azteca under Chepo, however, this is not a crisis and even though the team has not performed up to the level they should, their quality of play is not that different from what we periodically have seen from them at home.

While these teams are not technically gifted, they are now at a point where they all have athletes and you don´t have to be very gifted to know how to close down space and make it very hard for your opponent to get anything going on the attack. Take Germany for example, their first game at home in this qualification cycle was a 3-0 win against the Faroe Islands. The Faroe Islands are ranked 153 while Guyana is ranked 122. The main difference is that we flip the ******** out because of the Guyana game and they just move on after their game.

Does anyone have the match stats for this game? I have looked everywhere and I cant find them.

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It's not the rival it us. Mexico hasn't played well at all and it's not as thing of doing so everywhere. I've seen Mexico play in Azteca for years and this games are as bad as anything. It's not the result it's the level of play. Fool yourself if you want but the quality of play in Azteca has been as bad as ever and against average opponents. I've never seen Mexico have 4 straight shit games in Azteca ever.

Y no inventes con lo de que el Azteca no es considerado como el jugador 12 y la prensa y gente en Mexico no lo alaba. Porque el Chepo contesto como si el periodista estaba loco por sugerir que no se jugara en el Azteca?

Kaney repped this.
  4. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now you're really grasping at straws...

We should not be drawing against Jamaica at Azteca. Not in a friendly, definitely not in a WC Qualifier. Period.

5. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Not identity...mediocrity and living vicariously through others...you know...how us rucos live through our kids.

El Pipiripau and Kaney repped this.
  6. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    These were our 5 home games during the hex last time around:

2-0 costa rica
    4-1 el salvador
    1-0 honduras
    2-1 trinidad and tobago
    2-1 usa

Looking at these results, you can´t tell me that you thought it was impossible for us to tie a game at Azteca during the Hex. Besides the El Salvador game, we didn´t outright dominate anyone, hell, we played costa rica better in costa rica than at azteca and yet no one was flipping out because of this. And even, yesterday, with the worst game we have played in a while, we didn´t lose.

If this game would have happened in Jamaica or in a neutral stadium, no one would care. The problem is that many people here live in the US, follow what US fans have to say and buy the idea that Azteca is an impenetrable fortress. Its not, its made of cement and metal and most of our domination there over the years was due to the fact that we were playing terrible teams in our region. The reality is that in the last 12 years (not taking into acount the Jamaica game) we have have failed to win 4 times, thats more than once every world cup cycle.

7. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I got into it with a coworker over this...

Yes they played like shit, yes people can be upset with their performance, but I have no doubts well qualify to the wc. At the end of the day Mexico is still better than their competition and by the end of qualifying we'll get in comfortably. This is not Sven 2.0...and even wih him thy still would have gotten in.

In regard to the booing...I have no problem. I shell out cash for a ticket, its right to voice my displeasure. I would've done the same. The crowd wasn't really rooting for Jamaica they were just pissed. People here are chastising the fans yet the entire thread is riddled with hate being thrown at all the players and coach. So it's ok to protest on a message board but not in a stadium?

8. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's been several years since I've seen them play as badly as they did last night. The way they played in the game last night and coming off the game against the Danes is cause for alarm. The fact that it was a home qualifier and not some friendly makes it that much worse.

They should never play as bad as they did last night in Europe, Jamaica, Zimbabwe, Singapore, Tejas, etc. Period. Especially not in Azteca.

Edit: right there, we're already worse than 2010 with the draw at home.

metalmaster repped this.
  9. Gio D Santos 17

Gio D Santos 17 Member+

Nov 1, 2010
    Electric Avenue
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ever since we have won the Olympics Chepo has felt like it is 100% necessary to start Peralta at the same time and formation as Chicharito...which makes no sense we had so much control and width under the 4-2-3-1 that brought us all of this success..and now all of a sudden we are changing everything.

I'm not taking anything from Peralta he is a great striker but he isn't the same player as he is for the u23 teams...but then again he was the only striker up front during the Olympics and Pan Am games now we are trowing 2 guys up front. We should still be sticking to that 4-2-3-1 with only Chicharito or Peralta up top..Chepo shouldn't be afraid to sub out Cheech just because he plays for Manu. If he is having a bad game then take him out and give someone else a chance.

The fact Chepo has brought us some of our worst results in a longgggggg time in the Azteca is very worrying. We haven't drawn a WCQ in the Azteca since 2001. The last time we never scored in the Azteca in a qualifier is November 2nd 1997 vs the USA 0-0. We are talking about something that hasn't happened in 16 years. And on top of that we lost in the Azteca to USA in the first time in forever. The fans have a right to boo and I don't blame them one bit look how poorly we have been playing.

Chepo is going to have to fix his errors and soon, he will get the sack without a doubt after the Confed cup if we go down to Brazil and not make it out of the group. Changing coaches 1 year before the world cup is something I don't want to see but it might happen. This team really could use a player like Carlos Vela their is no more denying it.

sleepyvato50, Phenom, El Spooky and 5 others repped this.
  10. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Outside of the Trinidad and Tobago game, none of those games was as bad as the 4 games we played in Azteca so far and none of those was as bad as yesterday. The Costa Rica game was nowhere near as bad as these games even if it wasn't great as Costa Rica barely threatened at all. And it was right in the middle of the Eriksson era. And your bullshitting about people not hyping up the Azteca in Mexico. There is a reason why people are so demanding in the Azteca, because they expect the team to do well in the Azteca. You seriously think that people think that because of what US nads fans think ? That's insane.

11. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    after sleeping on it, i feel more at ease now. yeah, it sucks we tied to Jamaica at home and we played pitiful, but i am hopeful that after last night's game and the game against Denmark, that Chepo realizes that major changes need to be made.

for starters, playing with 2 strikers is not effective. look back to Chepo's first year coaching the NT, which were his best games, we only played with one striker up top and the team looked fluid. so either go with Oribe or Chicharo, NOT both.

Herrera is a total work horse, but he needs someone like Zavala or Chaton alongside him to actual defend. not someone that likes to idiotically go up and shoot up into space leaving gaps in the midfield. so Salcido, kindly GTFO.

our backline, which for a long time has been one of our strongest points, has been looking like shit. perhaps it's time for some major overhauls. it'd be nice to have a friendly before the Honduras game to try out Reyes, Mier, Ayala, etc., but that's not going to happen. Maza has shown he is not cut out to lead the team. Mier showed more leadership last year with the Sub-23 under Tena, than Maza has ever shown in his whole career.

call me overly optimistic, but i think we can pull off a win at Honduras IF Chepo is willing to make these changes. i hope he is not an Aguirre 2.0 and makes the same mistakes twice.

12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Guardado as a DM was a complete failure.

He was doing well pinching into the center from the left and starting the attack from the middle with Herrera.

I understand why Chepo moved him there but it didn't work at all. The one other time he tried it, the opposing team (Guyana) didn't press the midfield like Jamaica did.

Ohhh well....

Against Honduras, I expect a five man midfield with only one forward.

13. Manolo Rodriguez

Jul 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/s.../2013/02/un-desastre-pero-nadie-se-va-a-morir

Martin Del Palacio makes a good point in this article. Playing at home gives a team an advantage, but it's an advantage that is directly proportional to the attendance.

See pages 127-190 of the book "Scorecasting" for a great analysis of this topic.

We can't play WCQ's in a half empty stadium. The FMF needs to find a ticket price that results in big crowds. If you have to give away tickets so be it. Who's going to feel smart about higher Hex ticket revenue if it comes at the expense of jeopardizing qualification?

I also suspect that fans will be much less demanding of a team that they didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to see.

JohnnyFutbol and Kaney repped this.
  14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah great article by Martin. The FMF has to host the games regardless so any money they make is a bonus. To try to make a lot of money and overprice the tickets is stupid and near sighted. It makes the fans not come and then be volatile when they don't do well. Plus they have to take into account the traffic, that the periferico construction hurt and that they are midweek games. The fans thing is on them mostly. I hope the press goes and hassle them for it just as much as they do Maza. It's more important.

15. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's being said a bit here in this thread, but now we see why Torrado kept starting in the midfield no matter what coach came on board. He was a leader and enforcer in the midfield, people hated him for is bad passing and lack of offensive skills, but Torrado was an enforcer and I'm a strong believer one of the mids on every team should have at least one on the field at the onset of a match.

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  16. Lalo37

Lalo37 Member+

Jan 29, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe this has been discussed but why did we play at night? Shouldn't we be playing at like 3pm to take advantage of the heat (I know it's not THAT hot since its Feb, but you know what I mean) and altitude? Do you guys know if the times are set by CONCACAF or by the home team?
    I think the US game is also at night....huge mistake in my opinion.

17. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    maybe we can turn on the smog machine... lol

18. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    this made no sense.. make it harder for people to attend the games?

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  19. Lalo37

Lalo37 Member+

Jan 29, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Go back and watch the US vs Mexico game in August of 2009. I was at that game and the time of the match did NOT prevent 104,000 people from showing up. Makes perfect sense to me.

20. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Not only that. I know is part of the game to an extent, but if you have to rely on those tactics to beat the weakest team in the hex, hang it up; 'cause you have no business going to the WC if that's the case.

El Pipiripau and El Mariachi repped this.
  21. Agapito X Fa

Agapito X Fa Member+

Apr 21, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Hope Chepo is not stubborn and stop experimenting in qualifiers.

22. Lalo37

Lalo37 Member+

Jan 29, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed that we shouldn't have to use that to win, but if you can gain a competitive advantage, then why not?

23. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I linked the article because it does make a point about how people are quick to go from one extreme to the other.

24. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree he needs to give our Olympic team a chance and phase out the older guys

Miguel Myers repped this.
  25. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    it was also the US. Our most despised rival, in the biggest event outside of the world cup.

You think people are going to take off work and pay $50 to watch El tri play Jamaica?

Hecho en Chivas and El Pipiripau repped this.