WC Finals2: So you're telling me there is a chance...?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by carnivalfc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just hoping for it to happen, my projections for attendance are only based on how important this match is, anything less than 60,000 would be a slight disappointment and may effect the outcome of not only the match, but also the series, it would almost be like the Brougham Faithful would be throwing in the towel, as well as it would be a bit demoralizing to the club on the pitch, and since we drew 66,000 for Portland in the I-5 Derby, I was almost thinking that in this match, against the defending champions for a chance to move on to (and host) the MLS Cup Final, a crowd of at least 65,000 would be a shoe-in since it might (I hope not) be our last match of the season, barring a miracle (yes it can happen fellow Sounders supporters, WE BELIEVE!!!) tomorrow night.

2. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Killing time until tomorrow night so here's what I'm guessing
    EJ Montero
    Martinez Tiffert Alonso Evans
    Gonzalez Parke Hurtado Johansson
    Gspurning

After decoding Sigi speak, I'll be shocked if Rosales starts and 50/50 he's even in the 18.
    It'll be Martinez or Zakuani on the left...has to be.
    Gonzales starts at lb, but doesn't go 90. If Scott starts at lb, I give us about a .0001% chance of winning.
    Sadly, I wish deciding who starts was based more on tactics than injury.

3. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    I hope the football gods help us tonight.

4. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal (my favorite English club) won yesterday morning over Tottenham 2-1

VfL Wolfsburg (my favorite German club) beat TSG Hoffenheim this morning 3-1

Hopefully the Sounders can make it a treble for us here at the home of both BIGHMW.com and VfL-USA Northwest, but we need to win by a least 3 to even force a mini game, I know it'll be tough, but I have faith that we can do this thing.

BTW, I am also thinking of forming Townsend FC based right here in (of course) Port Townsend next season, in what will then be the home of the Olympic Peninsula's only current Seattle Sounders supporters club, what do you guys think?

5. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah yesterday in the Times they had the figure at over 43,000 that had been sold so you can probably expect 43k to maybe 44k at todays match.

Anyways today is the day!!!!! I am excited, nervous, anxious, whatever really..... I remain optimistic about our chances this evening but also have to be realistic about the hole we have to work out off first and the quality of team we are facing. Above all I hope the boys go out there and give it their all and what ever the result may be that we walk off the pitch with our heads held up high. Go Sounders!!!! Can't wait see ya all at the CLink.

6. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we don't get to see 66,000 at the CLink, but that doesn't mean we can't be as loud with 45,000 as we would be with a full house, so pop open a cold one, order a couple of pizzas, and lets all have are scarves up and our voices loud and proud to bleed Rave Green, Capital Blue, Super Cyan and/or Cascade Shale tonight, I will be wearing my Rave Green best for this tilt.

Arsenal won yesterday morning, VfL Wolfsburg did their part this morning, hopefully tonight I can celebrate an international treble, here at the headquaters of both BIGHMW.com, and coming in early 2013, Townsend FC, in which will be the Olympic Peninsula's newest supporters' home for both Team USA's men's and women's clubs (International), as well as the Seattle Sounders (MLS), men's and women's clubs, VfL Wolfsburg (German Bundesliga), men's and women's clubs, and Arsenal FC (EPL), located right here in picturesque Port Townsend.

Here we not only give it a full 90, but we give it a full 90 up to x 4.

7. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    EJ was onside gad damit!

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's alright, Johnson compensated a few minutes later.

9. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It is NOT alright... it would be 2-0, not 1-0..a whole different position for the second half.

Hulk repped this.
  10. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call, all of you, gee, that 45,000 sounds as loud like it was 66k, hopefully we keep the energy and momentum on our side, we still need 2 though, but our back 4 are doing a hell of a job of shutting down the Galaxy offensive.

But we have to take advantage of the inavailability of Landon Donovan for the Galaxy, he was the difference maker in the first leg, but he's out with a bad hammy. The 12th Man for the Rave Green is doing a hell of a job of keeping the energy flowing throughout the CLink, they mentioned it earlier during the pregame show, that in the Eastern Final when Houston got their first goal against D.C. in their second leg, the Dynamo took the United crowd out of the match, and the rest was history.

But we have to not have a letdown come the first few minutes of the second half, momentum could swing the other way just as easily as it was (and still will be) for us right now.

As for the bullshit "offside" call, E.J. was definitely (and clearly as the replay showed) onside on that play, yes, it should've been 2-0 and then you would have a different match altogether.

GO SOUNDERS!!!

11. JPN17

JPN17 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I just have one question for Mark Geiger. How much did the LA Galaxy pay you? What a disgrace.

12. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ???????????????

How about how much did they pay the linesman who called that bullshit offside call in the first 9 minutes against E.J. on what would've been 1-0 earlier??????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ???????????????

They say money talks, although talk is kinda cheap, but referee Mark Geiger and the other 3 officials were definitely on the take.

13. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle won this game 3-0. Watching the ref call back a legit goal and then give a "no intent" hand ball, that would have hit the players body anyway, just leave a me feeling sick.

F#*( MLS for fixing the series. LA was getting the calls all the way through this game.

This year MLS Cup lacks legitimacy.

14. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    I'm pissed about Geiger slowing the game down by calling niche fouls.

15. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Geiger, the newest member of the Sounders' Most Hated Referees list, joining Kevin Stock (for some of the calls he has made in the past) and everybody's least favorite referee, Ricardo Salazar in our exclusive club.

Coming soon: The official Mark Geiger dartboard, with all of the tails on the darts being Rave Green, I'll be they will sell like hotcakes here in Seattle after the bullshit screwjob-like calls he made during that match tonight, he was definitely on the take, the FieldTurf and our Rave Green shirts weren't the only green present in the building tonight.

Ching-ching, let the cash register ring!!! Did David Beckham go head over to the ATM at the B Of A nearby during the halftime break???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

16. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was a fun season. We didn't pick up any trophies but we advanced further than we ever have before and played a gutsy 2nd game. We dug our own grave when we showed so poorly in the first leg. Here's to a great season. *Sips on gatorade*

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy fan, coming in peace here. You guys deserved this victory. It's unfortunate that it wasn't enough because your team played the type of football that could give the Dynamo a run for their orange. So you end the season with a victory, and that's something you can build on in the future. You had a great year; don't let this aggregate scoreline discourage you.

See you next season, then. Till next time...

H

18. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Phhphhttbbb. uhk.
    I too felt it should have been 3-0. Having said that, I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of scorring opportunities in the last 30 minutes.

That was a beautiful ball by Super Mario to Estrada...if David had placed it anywhere else it would have been a goal. I feel we are just scratching the surface of what Mario is capable of. I hope to see more of him next season.

Zach Scott deserves a ton of credit for that second goal. He came at it like an animal, a bull with his horns down, would have gone through anyone or anything in his way. Thank you Zach!

Stevie Z was a lightning bolt in green. I love to watch him play..

Interesting that Sigi pulled Freddy...I do not think that Freddy was being particularly effective but I probably would have left him in...hoping for a little ray of that Montero magic.

Now...for the raw dark winter with no Sounders to watch...:(

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. No way of knowing if the situation would have been the same for the second goal if the first had stood.

20. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the $64,000 question is: will Fredy Montero be back in a Sounders uniform in 2013, ESPN color analyst Taylor Twellman mentioned it after the match, his streakiness, seems to have its ups and downs, this was one of those downs, he was yanked early during both legs in this series. E.J. was En Fuego tonight and I think we have a good one in Mario Martinez, I think that as much as I hate to say it, Montero may become expendible, we have E.J., David Estrada, Christian Tiffert, the aforementioned Mario Martinez, who was a nice surprise for us here in this postseason, and also the always-reliable Mauro Rosales, plus it might free up some cap-room for us, besides, who knows, the boys over in Europe may be calling Fredy's agent right about now, I can imagine him going from the Rave Green and Capital Blue to the yellow and black of the 2-time defending German Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund, (and if we thought the Brougham End was loud, check out the famous Südtribüne at Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund over in Germany, with either 25,000 standing or 15k seated, the largest terrace in all of Europe, as they are especially loud) but I'm sure he might be having dreams of European glory on his mind.

21. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Fredy fitting in nicely with a lower-tier La Liga side, assuming he actually finds some consistency.

22. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who's watched soccer for awhile knows that strikers are streaky individuals. Montero does so much stuff to open up the game for the other players that score, and there is no way that Estrada is a real replacement for Montero. It would be a huge loss if he doesn't go somewhere where his career is actually taking a step up.

23. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  24. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And that's that. We needed all the breaks to go our way today and they didn't. That charmin soft PK was the dagger, not that I didn't get a little teared up when Gspurning lead the charge back for the reset. The boys all played with heart, but in the end we weren't good enough. I suspect an interesting offseason though.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. I'm not sure we see Montero in rave green again... Isn't his contract up next season? Or is there two yars left on it? If it s up next season, it is probably best to sell him while we can. I'm thinking if we don't get another DP to replace him that maybe Martinez would be a suitable replacement.