WC Draw News & Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Berks, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl9h
    USA up 6 to No. 13 in new FIFA rankings. WC seed hopes rest on continued rise & URU, CRO, POR, GRE not qualifying

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder how much the CR loss hurt us.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    As a general guideline, US fans should be hoping for "upsets" (in which the lower ranked team wins or draws) in basically every match not featuring the US, as each upset potentially increases the possibilities of the US playing (more) WC matches against some "lower-ranked" teams.

4. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. cc-atl

cc-atl Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Last time they announced the seeded teams on December 2 and the draw was on December 4.

Berks and tab5g repped this.
  7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    There's no reason to be afraid of being in Brazil's group--it's the other teams in the group that matter.

I'd take: Brazil, Tunisia, Switzerland, USA any day of the week.

Not to mention, we'd avoid Brazil from there on out until the Final (cough, cough).

The Draw is so hugely important not just for this World Cup, but for the future. Look at what happened to Uruguay in 2010--drawn in with the weakest seed ever (South Africa), paired with Raymond Domenech's dysfunctional France, then given a path of Korea and Ghana to get to the Semifinals.

Yes, Uruguay won Copa America, but let's turn things around and say Chile had gotten Uruguay's draw in 2010. They could equally have gotten past Korea and Ghana and been Semifinalist. And now we would be talking about a possible seed in Pot A for Chile and that nation's resurgence.

The Draw can create storylines and interpretations of teams and nations that otherwise don't exist.

8. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking Adriana Lima :D

9. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Unless some super upsets (Iceland, Bulgaria...Tunisia) qualify and get drawn with the USA, we'll be deemed in one of the toughest groups. Wouldn't a good scenario be FIFA using a combination of the past two World Cups and present qualifier records, vaulting Ghana in to the 1st Pot ? (Presuming they win out in CAF). We get drawn into their group with an AFC and a lesser UEFA. Ghana is less dangerous to us in the group stage, as we could work for a draw if need be, have added incentive from past results and we'd avoid another top 8 1st Pot team + a quality AFC and/or COMEBOL + a UEFA draw. Makes for a better chance to avoid a Group of Death, which will be the group with the best Pot 3 team, (guess who).

10. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Could be Shakira. I know she's from Barranquilla but she speaks Portuguese and is a world wide artist, adored in Africa, Asia (even the Arab part), Europe, the Americas...

11. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I don't trust Shakira. She'd make sure Spain gets an easy group.

keller4president repped this.
  12. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Do you trust her hips?

Reccossu, keller4president and NMMatt repped this.
  13. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    lol, nice

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I see what you did there and like it.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Belgium, which is why I've stated from the get go, that any they are going to be the least welcome team in any group. They are truly a good team from front to middle to back, to waaay back. Their depth is outstanding as well.

A group with a seeded team, a good CAF team and Belgium is going to suck.

Berks and keller4president repped this.
  16. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that getting a Brazil or similar quality team in our group wouldn't necessarily be bad. I would take a draw where we get placed with Brazil and two manageable teams opposite another group with manageable 1 and 2 teams.

Conversely, getting an easy group doesn't mean a whole lot if the group is paired with a Group of Death. I want the draw to maximize the chances for the U.S. to win a knockout game or two.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good point about a group with Brasil. That group is very unlikely to be a group of death and may be easier to qualify in second spot than first or second in a much tougher group.

18. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to get one of the more difficult seeded teams (i.e. not England, Switzerland, caliber), then it actually might be beneficial to draw Brazil or Argentina. In addition to what others mentioned previously, if I'm not mistaken that draw would preclude us from drawing another CONMEBOL team (e.g. Colombia, Uruguay, Chile) from the CONMEBOL/CAF group.

umop_apisdn repped this.
  19. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    There really isn't an African team that I'm too concerned about. I'd probably prefer just about any of them, including Cote d'Ivoire or Ghana, to most of the CONMEBOL teams.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This time, probably. The most overrated continent by a longshot is Africa, which is easy to do because there is so much talent that hails from there. However, Ghana's recent run of two successful World Cups in a row is roughly half the success that the entire continent has ever been able to accomplish. Ivory Coast hasn't accomplished a thing in the World Cup, though they always seem to get some of the most difficult groups one can imagine.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This time, probably. The most overrated continent by a long-shot is Africa, which is easy to do because there is so much talent that hails from there. However, Ghana's recent run of two successful World Cups in a row is roughly half the success that the entire continent has ever been able to accomplish. Ivory Coast hasn't accomplished a thing in the World Cup, though they always seem to get some of the most difficult groups one can imagine.

22. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I wouldn't necessarily think we are favorites against Ghana, but I do like our chances against them over Colombia and Uruguay. Ecuador and Chile are a bit more on the level of the strong African sides in my mind, but I'd rather face the African teams in Brazil. In the end, there are likely to be a handful of African teams among the weakest at the World Cup - a few teams like Tunisia, Algeria, Senegal, or Ethiopia could get through the African playoff. As we saw vs. Algeria last time, there is no such things as an easy World Cup game for us, but I'd rather be lining up against Tunisia in a must win third group game then Chile.

23. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, might be a Brazilian since the WC is being hosted by Brazil.
    As for the draw, you'll definitely have Pele and probably Ronaldo there drawing the ping-pong balls, with Valcke muttering through it again. As for the presenter, maybe Gisele because they will need a Brazilian female personality who speaks decent English for the draw. Thus a lot of the models might be out.

tab5g repped this.
  24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why I'd love to get paired with CONMEBOL instead of Asia. Did I mention, go Jordan yet?

25. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I agree. Picking up an Asian team is the best scenario and a Jordan win makes that much more likely.