WC Draw News & Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Berks, Sep 12, 2013.

1. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. top 8
    2. euro team
    3. africa / south america
    4. asia / concacaf

if group A. has a concacaf team then group B has an asia team
    same goes for C & D.....E & F..... G & H

so the #4 spot for each group is all ready booked except for 1 of panama, mexico, new zealand

Brazil, Argentina, will NOT get a South American team in their group of 4
    same goes for Columbia/Uruguay, IF, they get a top 8 seed

is there anything wrong with this post ?
    am I on the right path ?

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Assuming they don't make a radical break from the past, yup, except that groups don't need to altnerate CONCACAF/AFC teams in order. In whichever order they're drawn is where they'll land.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  3. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil is team A1, already guaranteed to be playing on June 12 in Sao Paulo.

Good work on the groups, though.

4. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be a good reason to hope we're in their group. If they roll through the group 3-0, it makes no difference to us and goal differential could help us if we get smoked by less than the others. Then, if we get out of the group, we couldn't face them again until the final (right?).

JC507, tab5g and Winoman repped this.
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We very often not only get beaten but flat-out smoked by Brazil. It's the very worst team we could face.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Brazil at home could go 3-0. They might be worth the #1 seed if the three other teams are playable.

The last thing we want is an average number 1 seed who beats us and then drops points to another team. Brazil are the least likely to do that imo, pre draw.

7. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea.
    should move them up, and everyone down 1 spot.

r u saying groups A and B could have usa and costa rica ? or 2 asia teams ?

8. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Agree. That's priority number one in the draw. Avoid Brazil. Every other group will have two spots up for competition among four teams. Even a really strong team like Spain or Germany wouldn't be ideal, but you could get a point off them. Brazil's group, forget it. It's three teams competing for second place. If we get lucky, we pick up someone like Uruguay or even Switzerland as our number one seed, but really we should just hope that we avoid Brazil here.

Second priority is to avoid one of the stronger European sides that won't be seeded - I wouldn't want to have Germany and France, Belgium or England. Better Greece, Bosnia, even Russia.

Third priority is to get the number one seed in game two or preferably game three. It is better to wait until they only need a draw to play them as opposed to playing them right off the bat when they will really give it their all to get off to a good start.

Fourth priority is to pick up an African opponent as opposed to a CONMEBOL opponent assuming they use similar pots as last time. Ghana is about as strong of an African opponent as we could face, and despite our lack of fortune vs. them in the prior two cups, both games were winnable. I'd rather face Ghana or Cote d'Ivoire, despite their talent, over Chile or Colombia in Brazil. This is pretty much a team we are going to need to defeat to advance. Now we certainly could beat Colombia, but I like our chances against Tunisia or Algeria or even Ghana better.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes.

10. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck this.

Give me Ghana. I want their asses.

You think Mexico doesn't want to play Argentina in 2018 to get revenge on them?

nbarbour repped this.
  11. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    It will go as FIFA wants it to go

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    -I would love for us to have another shot at Ghana. 2006 we didn't deserve it, but in 2010 we should have won that game.

-When looking at seeds, the only teams I'd really want us to avoid would be Brasil and Germany. We match up very poorly against both. I'd loooooove it if we ended up in Italy's group, or England again if they end up seeded. Portugal wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world either, and playing ARG would at least somewhat be mitigated by the fact that every neutral Brasillian in the crowd hates them some Argentina and would pull for us.

13. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true.

Brazil fans want underdogs to do well (just so Brazil can beat them, and not Germany, Spain), so whoever's seeded, we'll likely have the support of the Brazil fans when we play them.

14. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    [quote="Editor In Chimp, post: 28661663, member: 132904England again[/quote]

Don't we beat England by default, simply for having a German coach and two German starters? Three Germans is easily enough to make England choke.

adi21 repped this.
  15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Hahaha. Excellent point. Wait until JAB plays or if Chandler and Williams come back.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the last game of any importance (WCQ, WQ, Copa America, Confed Cup) game they lost at home was the final in 1950. That is amazing.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Of the top seeds I would like us to draw in order of preference:
    Maybe get point(s)
    1. Colombia
    2. Uruguay
    3. Italy
    4. Spain
    5. Belgium

I see us losing to....
    6. Germany
    7. Argentina
    8. Brazil

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does anybody know how the schedule is decided ? It makes a difference what match we play a top seed. Sometimes they have garnished the top spot by the time they play the 3rd match and are not under pressure to win. Sometimes they are most disorganized in their first match (Italy, typically).

19. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Look on Wikipedia, the schedule is already set. Teams will be drawn into positions in the group. For example brazil is A1 so they are assured of playing in the opening match. Teams A2, A3, and A4 are random.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #70 tab5g, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    The schedule is set (and known now) by slots. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop#Group_stage

Brazil as host is placed into slot A1.

Although the procedure hasn't been decided or announced yet, very likely all other 31 nations will be drawn first into a Group (A-H) and then draw a slot/position (1-4) randomly within that group. (I do not believe that all the seeds will automatically take the 1 slot within their drawn group, but I am not certain on that.)

Jegao Paraiba and Berks repped this.
  21. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's determined at the draw. Top seeds are the "1" spot in the schedule (A1, B1, etc.) and as non-seeded team is drawn, they are also drawn into a spot in the group (spots 2-4) to determine who plays whom when. So for example, if the U.S. is drawn into group B, there is also a group B pot with balls with positions B2, B3, and B4. One is drawn and that determines where we are on the schedule. At least this is how it was done for 2010 from what I recall.

Berks and tab5g repped this.
  22. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Beat me to the punch. After going back and looking, The top seeds did take th "1" position in each group in 2010.

tab5g repped this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #73 tab5g, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    For anyone interested, the 2010 WC draw (with delightful host/presenter Charlize Theron) is available on YouTube for a sense of how Fifa recently conducted a finals draw and very likely how the next one (on Dec 6, 2013) will look.

2006 had Heidi Klum in the Charlize Theron role, and it will be interesting to see who Fifa casts in Bahia, Brazil.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad there won't be another chance for a team to pull off a Maracanazo until the Final, as Brazil won't be playing in the Maracana unless they reach the final (hard to believe).

Imagine if we play Brazil in the Round of 16, and shock them! Bonus points if Tab Ramos is on the sideline for that one ;)

tab5g repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I created this thread I had no idea it would be so helpful. Yes, we don't know a lot about which teams will go in, but after reading this I learned:

1) I should care about Uruguay's games
    2) HAHAHAHAHA England's ranking :)
    3) Go Jordan!
    4) Will be interesting to see which African teams make it because they have a high likelihood of being in our group
    5) Go European upsets!
    6) What do we do with Switzerland?

This can be the home of reporting other qualifier results around the world to help give us an idea of who we are facing.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's posts - this was super educational and what a thread in this portion of the forum should be.