WC 2010 Referee Inspectors/Instructors - Esse Baharmast's Role?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by bluedevils, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I admit to NOT having searched the FIFA site for any info during the World Cup. Has anyone read or heard anything about who is working with the referees in terms of instruction, match feedback, etc?

When Esse Baharmast left US Soccer, we were told he had taken some sort of FIFA position to train referees for the World Cup. Since then, I have not heard or read a single piece of information about it.

All of a sudden, it occurred to me again so I thought I'd ask about it here.

2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Jose Garcia-arrando is head of the FIFA dept for referees.

3. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    So, nobody has any information about this?

4. CaliforniaRef

CaliforniaRef New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Esse is at the WC as one of a few Fifa instructors. Garcia-Aranda is Fifa's Director/Head of Refereeing (as he has been since 2003), so he is in charge of all instructions and training at the World Cup.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    What could possibly go wrong here? Based on his track record in developing and training Pro and International Officials for US Soccer over the previous decade, we should have perfect refereeing in this World Cup, just like we did in MLS...

NOT!

6. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly MLS, not USSF, is responsible for some/most of its own problems through the rules of competition and points of emphasis with which they saddle the refs. I understand your sentiment, but I think MLS is a "Let the boys play" league by the league's choice, not the federation. That would make it NOT Esse's fault.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Who do you think was responsible for training and 'enforcing' the MLS mandates on the USSF referees? Someone had to carry the instructions from MLS to the referees.

8. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Appreciate the comments, but I was really hoping to learn more about what Esse is doing at/for FIFA than re-hashing his past role at US Soccer. Sounds like nobody really knows much, if anything.

9. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Sounds as if he is doing the same thing for FIFA as he did for the USSF--exactly nothing! :D

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. We really don't need a bash Esse Baharmast thread.

This is what I've been able to find in the news recently about him:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story?id=799942&cc=5901&ver=us

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jcpwI8fMgQd67CyktpF3XYX5PCagD9GFR1M80

It seems pretty clear that he is in South Africa in an official capacity as an instructor. Exactly what title or how many instructors there are? I haven't been able to find that information.

Similarly, I haven't found much on who the assessors/inspectors are at this tournament. Last time Vinne Mauro went (thereby, interestingly enough, giving the United States 5 individuals at the World Cup in an official officiating capacity). But I don't think he's there this time.

11. CaliforniaRef

CaliforniaRef New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Maybe "bluedevils" did not read my post, wherein I said that Esse was there as a FIFA instructor.

To "MassRef": Names of the assessors and match commissioners were in one of the FIFA announcements. I would send you the link, if you tell me how I can paste a "pdf" link.

12. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    yes, I read your post, thanks for mentioning it. When the announcment was made to referees that Esse was taking a job with FIFA to train referees for the World Cup, it sounded to me like they were describing it as more than just a 'staff referee instructor' for FIFA. Perhaps not.