Wave situation coming into focus

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by NSL2004, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Interested Party

Interested Party New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Club:
    Aragua FC
    I am very good friends with one of the people who is involved with Hoffman Estates Park District, the entity that runs the Sears Centre. Let's just say he overestimated the attendance numbers and people who would actually care about the Newman Cup.

2. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    so basically Tozer decided to retire huh? well akl I can do is wish him the best of luck in the future. whoever coaches the Wave next year has HUGE shoes to fill. Who was the Wave coach before Tozer?

3. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Okay - somebody wrote how the Wave generated $500,000 in summer camp revenue (probably in their best year ever and not the norm)

hmmmm... Keith now has his own academy starting this summer (who the hell doesn't run a soccer camp these days!)

I'd say the Wave camp revenue is going to drop significantly in 2014 ya think!

So you save $ but not having to pay Tozer, and most likely quite a few other top players who will not be brought back, BUT you now will LOSE (only one o Card) what could be $100,000 or more at least with competing camps

Don't know Keith personally, but sure he would have taken a cut to stick around if asked

May end up being a HUGE mistake on Sue's part

Sure hope the Wave isn't run like the Roar or Kitsap in 2014-2015
    Will be a sad day for a once proud franchise

4. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johan Aarnio
    Who succeeded John Dolinsky
    Who succeeded Mike Custer
    Who succeeded Dave Johnson.

You're up to date!

NickWISoccer repped this.
  5. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    so the next guy will only be the 5th coach in Wave history. Wow.

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6th...

7. traremark

traremark Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Lewis.......not sure where you heard I left or what I left?

I am merely a commentator on You Tube. :)

8. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis - You might have heard that Art's pay was cut, too, but that is incorrect as you cannot divide by zero.

9. HBG-Heat

HBG-Heat Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Harrisburg Area
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    Nice article. Good to get some positive opinion about Sue Black.

My take on Keith Tozer leaving the Wave is that it was amicable in the sense that both parties know that the economics of present day indoor soccer don't allow for a coaching salary on par with what Tozer earned and deserved. The whole did he quit/was he fired argument is moot. In a perfect world, he would have remained with the Wave.

11. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That both parties couldn't stand each other. I'd bet if the economics weren't changing, they may have learned to co-exist. But that late season swoon wasn't all "Man, the Comets just have our number!"

Mad Header repped this.
  12. Taz-Master

Taz-Master Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Sue ran the team into the ground and borrowed money she couldn't pay back. As you can see dosen't have the financial backing to pay Tozer and the stacked roster they have. I'm sure Tozer will be back coaching.

13. JonKurozawa

JonKurozawa New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I love how some of you think that Dave Begel's hack piece was positive on Sue Black. That guy is a tool.

Plain and simple...Sue Black wants this team to be 100% her's...no remnants of the past. That was apparent last year when she changed the logo, colors and uniforms. She fired Van McNeil (the longtime PA announcer) 2 days before the season started. She fires the entire front office staff and parts ways with the coach of 21 years.

She is left with an office that only has interns in it and a team that has no coach, no arena lease and no league.

I want the Milwaukee Wave to survive...but looking at what has happened in the last 12 months...it is all but dead.

14. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good grief. It's ironic that one of the few," once great, now in decline, " legacies in worst shape than indoor soccer is journalism

What a poorly written puff piece. There is a newspaper (good one) called the Independent in the UK that allows its correspondents to write in the first party, they can get away with it as its world class. This Milwaukee site should ban it.​

15. Jim Hutch

Jim Hutch Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors

16. Jim Hutch

Jim Hutch Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    The Wave will never die. Plans are already in the works for a new rainbow logo and they have taken a page from the Brewers and adopted a stray hairless cat that they have named Keith.

17. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I hope you are right. That atrocious article indicated she was under financed and borrowing money while jettisoning staff. Under funded owners are the scourge of any league, (check out the ABA, where teams have folded at halftime when the ref demands payment or stuck in an airport) but an owner who is underfunded in indoor soccer is simply a recipe for disaster.

I just hope Sue is in the Black when the season starts up

18. Jim Hutch

Jim Hutch Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors

19. Jim Hutch

Jim Hutch Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
  20. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attended the semifinals and final and had a great time. The Mustangs were very exciting to watch, especially in the final. And the crowds were very enthusiastic.

GoStorm repped this.
  21. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    I attended the finals on Sunday and thought the atmosphere was good. I have posted detailed reviews of my positive experiences at both of the Mustang games I attended in different threads. I also enjoy a good orange.

NSL2004 repped this.
  22. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If you saw the other thread, or now the past 3 replies of this one, you would see many "average fans" who attended and said it was a good experience.

The complaints seemed to be:

- PA announcer was a little weird, and called goalie named Jesus "our savior" (I find that hilarious personally).
    - Style of soccer played was more "tough, physical" than the more "skillful" MISL.
    - Too many whistles and stops in action

The positives seems to be:

- Great atmosphere
    - Passionate fan bases
    - Overall good action
    - High regards to Sears Center

The only thing I ever took away from anyone that I viewed as slightly negative was that the general consensus was MISL teams were better in basically every regard when it came to skill. I was and am worried outside of a couple teams, its a league filled with more Roar/Ambush/Lancers (skill level) than Wave/Comets/Blast.

I'm completely fine with whatever size arena any of these teams play in, I could careless. But if the "norm" is going to be watching the Blast win by 20+ in SPS, I'll be greatly disappointed.

Other than that, it seemed like a very positive event that almost all who attended had a good time. I just hope the quality picks up now that the quantity is obviously there.

Scooge repped this.