Wave situation coming into focus

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by NSL2004, Mar 31, 2014.

1. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
  2. Sgt. Soccer

Sgt. Soccer Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Wichita, KS
    So we have the first team from the former MISL to step up to the table publicly.

3. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says that the Chicago team just signed a new contract for its building. I wonder if that means Chicago will play at the Grand Sports Arena again in 2014-15.

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Why would you say that? GSA is not large enough for the PASL going forward (unless they knock out a wall and add seats) and they own the building so why would they need to sign a contract?

5. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well its not saying much for the PASL if you ask me , with what she owes how did she even get approved . It is good to see someone does have a game plan .

6. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I misread Mr. Milliken's statement remarks as a statement that Chicago was signing a new deal for the building it had previously played in. I'm very glad to hear that I was wrong, and I promise to buy tickets to many Mustangs games in order to atone for my mistake!

NSL2004 repped this.
  7. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    so the length of the season will be the same 20 games as this year. hopefully that increases in the years to come. with the expansion would that expand the playoffs as well?

8. JonKurozawa

JonKurozawa New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Time to read between the lines... Black as gotten an extension to make a decision on the lease and has verbally committed to the PASL. That means that nothing has changed...nothing is official.

Most importantly is what is said at the end of the article about Tozer and the rumor. I think the link between Tozer and Zimmerman is a solid one...but the "prominent role"...since they are trying to build a minor league baseball facility...could an indoor soccer/futsal facility be far behind? build something that could hold 4-5,000 fans and you have something big enough for a professional indoor team....hmmm

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sure, you want to pay the top players enough so they make a living. But after them, there are dozens and dozens of guys who could play. We want our teams to keep that in mind."

In other words, what many folks have said for years: the supply of guys who will play for peanuts outstrips the slots for those jobs. Teams can definitely get away with cutting their player costs, because Preki ain't walking through that door.

If they're going to have seasonal, basically migrant workers in their front office who only work 7 or 8 months a year, that's going to be a problem, though. Will reduce costs, but hurt continuity and sales efforts.

And, yes, the Zimmerman angle is a solid one.

bbwavefan repped this.
  10. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next PASL season will be twenty games. We were told that at the DSBC meeting this month.

11. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    and will the addition of ex-MISL teams require an expansion of playoffs? I would think it would. Have the playoffs be best of 3.

12. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong - I love the idea, in and of itself (actually, I'd love best-of-seven, but, oh well...), but I just don't see any "require" in it at all. At least not at this time.

13. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    the only time i recall best of 7s was when the wave won their first title. the 99 final was best of 5. best of 3 is a small step up from having mini-games in my mind.mini-games are glorified ot.

14. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original MISL played best-of-seven finals from 1984 until it's demise in 1992. Dallas beat Tacoma for it's first championship, four games to three, in 1987.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Read the article again. All that is said is the Wave have an extension to extend their lease. Plus they are a definite maybe to join the PASL next season. Not exactly stepping up to the table in my book. More like a club scrapping to save their skin by creating any kind of positive press.

16. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Just the opposite if anything. If four MISL teams couldn't get one weekend date each it would be even harder for 10 or more teams. The more teams you have the more logistical issues you face.

17. Brad Beach

Brad Beach New Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Club:
    Doncaster Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this a lot, thanks for posting it! BTW, I just heard Sue Black will be on local radio (620WTMJ) tomorrow morning, so that will be interesting.

18. traremark

traremark Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Not nearly as interesting as Coach Tozer's press conference scheduled for 10:00 am tomorrow morning at the Bradley Center, or his appearances coming up this week on numerous morning radio shows.

19. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Agreed, but please get rid of the neutral/same site semis-finals. Will be bullcrap to see the Blast play semis and Finals in Dallas for example, infront of 500 fans if Dallas isnt there.

Would be a great thing to have standings and home field mean something in the playoffs, especially the semi finals and finals.

20. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    I just have a really hard time believing anything other than Tozer will take the high road and just thank to players and fans for the past 21 years. I'd be floored if he came out swinging...at least to the media.

21. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he tells us all the truth about what really took place instead of all of the speculation . I was shocked you left I kind of thought you would have been asked to coach the team .

22. Jim Hutch

Jim Hutch Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    Spot on. If anyone expects Tozer to be honest, they are sadly mistaken. His record speaks for itself though, despite the egotistic way he treats and talks down to people.

23. Interested Party

Interested Party New Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Club:
    Aragua FC
    I am interested to know what facility the Chicago Mustangs will be using next year. Armando Gamboa lost a ton of money putting on the Newman Cup and will not be able to play at Grand Sports next year. He has no cash to speak of. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he swindled yet another group of people. He is a crook of the highest quality. It's an absolute travesty that the Mustangs won the league title.
    As far as the Wave go, it would be a shame if they weren't in the league. Milwaukee is a great soccer town and they support their clubs. Hopefully Sue Black sees this and does the right thing.

24. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be curious since you just joined this board how you know he lost a ton of money on the Newman cup? Other than an assumptions made from watching online.

25. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Found this interesting article (remember what day it is today):

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/aprilfoolstozer.html?37223

wlamar3 repped this.