Wave at Soul 12-14

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by mjames1229, Dec 14, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    that makes no sense whatsoever. Once the keeper leaves the area he's like any other field without handling privileges. The defending team is free to pressure him. Not that much different than playing the ball back to a last man.

2. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    What most people don't realize is most of tehse guys know each other and many have played together at one point or another in their careers......its like a loose brotherhood.Obviously there are some personality conflicts, but for the most part, they all get along.

3. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    well, hard to disagree if you're looking for/expecting top level professional soccer.

The storm wasn't all that much better. The riot was worse. I was sitting five feet from Grobstein and YES, he is NOT a soccer commentator. Not sure what the Soul was thinking. I mean, pronouncing Fabinho (Fah-bee-nyo) Fah-bi-no is comical. He also thought the Soul was on a power play when Leite was sitting in the box for Milwaukee, not realizing thata yellow card is NOT a time penalty in the MISL. The fifth official had to correct him.

as for guys taking others into the boards, well, thatsalways been at least a two minute penalty, maybeeven five and a red, but some leagues, like the aisa, were VERY lax about enforcing it.

I'm not going to comment on the officiating as BOTH refs on the field, the assistant ref and fourth official in the penalty box, and the fifth official at the scorers table are all good frineds of mine.

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But they don't they back up and he usually walks the ball up and either passes to a teammate or kicks it all the way down the field once he passes the line.
    Another idea would be that each team has to keep at least 1 player in the of their offensive half of the field at all time.When a team can pack in 5 players on defense it makes it too hard to score.

5. rick-e-dell

rick-e-dell New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    there was no way there were 2000 people there. Maybe 150-200 tops? Attendance is the worst i have seen for soccer at that arena. Announcer butchers names and sponsors (Dairy King?) Last home game, they played girls just want to have fun, in its entirety, three times! bad presentation, bad product. i was willing to give them a chance. I've been there twice and I will not be back.

6. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your estimation skills don't seem very good.

7. rick-e-dell

rick-e-dell New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Fine, maybe there were 300-400. that place seats a little over 8k for soccer. If you think that the place was 1/4 full, you are wrong.

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    II'd be VERY surprised if there were more than 400-500 people there. VERY surprised.

9. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick, I think it was a bit more than 400, but less than 1,000. It was a disappointingly small crowd in any event. I hope they draw better in their next few games.

10. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was 1/4 full. You said there were no more than 200 people there and I said you were wrong.

11. GOAL41

GOAL41 Member

Sep 7, 2006
    ChiTown Burbs
    quote="aek chicago, post: 26925602, member: 48896"]well, hard to disagree if you're looking for/expecting top level professional soccer.

[/quote]

I was only looking for professional indoor soccer. This, I am sorry to say, was not close. I saw a competitive men's rec league game in an 80% empty arena.

12. GOAL41

GOAL41 Member

Sep 7, 2006
    ChiTown Burbs
    About 800 in the crowd would be a very safe estimate

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

14. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the estimates of 80o, which is especially low considering that maybe 150 Wave fans were present. Hey Wave fans, how about coming back to the Sears Centre this Friday to root against the Blast?

15. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I was only looking for professional indoor soccer. This, I am sorry to say, was not close. I saw a competitive men's rec league game in an 80% empty arena.[/quote]
    It WAS professional soccer. Maybe not the level YOU were expecting, but nonetheless professional. The rest of the teams in the league are about the same caliber, so I'm not sure what your gripe is. If you're looking for first division caliber players, this isn't it. Such a league doesn't exist in the US. Its akin to the NASL outdoors, second division. Nonetheless, to say these players were mens rec league caliber is downright ignorant. I want to know exactly which rec league you have seen in Chicago of this caliber. Tell me one. This I'm waiting to hear.

Wave Fan repped this.
  16. Wave Fan

Wave Fan Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this. Look at the Wave for instance:
    Josh Rife plays for the Charlotte Eagles of the USL Pro- a team that reached the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open cup and knocked off the FC Dallas of the MLS en route.
    Jonathon Greenfield also plays for the San Antonio Scorpions of the USL Pro
    JP Rodrigues also plays for the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the USL Pro and plays on the Gyuana national team in World Cup play
    Israel Sesay plays for the LA Blues and played for the LA Galaxy of the MLS in the past

Sorry, but I wouldn't consider them rec players. There are many other players around the league that play in the USL Pro as well. They may not be on the level of a EPL player, but they're not that far off from the players playing in the MLS either...and some of them have played in or beaten MLS teams.

17. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    As I sais, this league is comprised mainly of second and third division players. If you're looking for first division caliber in the misl, then the problem is with you and not the league. Most people attending these games understand this. Its like going to a Chicago Wolves game and expecting to see Jonathon Toews playing center. Nonetheless, to say this is rec level soccer is ridiculous.

18. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'd say more like 400-500.

19. GOAL41

GOAL41 Member

Sep 7, 2006
    ChiTown Burbs
    It WAS professional soccer. Maybe not the level YOU were expecting, but nonetheless professional. The rest of the teams in the league are about the same caliber, so I'm not sure what your gripe is. If you're looking for first division caliber players, this isn't it. Such a league doesn't exist in the US. Its akin to the NASL outdoors, second division. Nonetheless, to say these players were mens rec league caliber is downright ignorant. I want to know exactly which rec league you have seen in Chicago of this caliber. Tell me one. This I'm waiting to hear.[/quote]

You are right, not fair to say rec league level. However, it is not ignorant either. I have seen some quality men's games during the winter session playoffs a few years back at the Odeum that were quite on par with the Soul game I saw the other night.

If your claim is that the rest of the league is about the same caliber, then yes, it is short of my expectations of a "professional" product. Just because something is labeled as professional, does not make it at that level. Look at the PASL Pro and it's tin bins that some of the teams are playing in.

This version of the MISL is only major in disappointment. That being said, I will go again and try to support this team as much as I can. Maybe my initial perception will change.

20. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the players get paid and it costs money to watch the game it's professional.

21. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Depends on which winter session at the odeum you're talking about. NONE of the Odeum house leagues are comparable, mot even Tuesday night A League. If you're talking National on Friday nights, or Hispano or Saturdays, or Metro on Sundays, well the sould would probably be comparable to a collection of all stars from thos leagues. Those leagues aren't anything to sneeze at either. They're basically semi professional themselves, at least the major divisions are.

In any event, I think most peaople have come to the realization that a top flight pro indoor league no longer exists and what they're basically getting is akin to AAA or AA baseball. Professional yes, just not top level professional.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor does anyone who plays indoor now.

If that's your standard, prepare to be disappointed. Those days aren't coming back. To paraphrase Rick Pitino, "Pato Margetic ain't walking through that door. Karl-Heinz Granitza ain't walking through that door."

That said, the "Why would I watch these guys when I can go see the same level player in the local ethnic leagues?" thing...well, how many people actually pay to go see guys play in the local ethnic leagues?

Also, I think it's hilarious that various people who were at the game can't agree on how many people were there, yet people who don't go to games and watch internet feeds are certain they can tell exactly how many people are in a given arena.

23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Your answer, Mr. Tomasch, is EVERYBODY pays to go see ethnic league soccer. $7 for the national, $5 for Metro (at the door). Maybe you should head out to the Odeum on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday and see for yourself. ALL of the non affiliated Hispanic leagues also charge a cover at the door, including the American Soccer League at The Max in Mc Cook, Hispana at Soccer City in Palatine, Mex Sol at the Dolton Soccer Dome, various leagues in Elgin, and Hispano, Interamericana and GT United at the Odeum. Clasa also charged a cover at Ho Chunk in Lynwood last year, although they're not playing this year. The Chicago Champions League which plays outdoors at Luther South High School in the spring/summer also charges admission.

Secondly, we're not talking about the same LEVEL players, we're talking about the same EXACT players. If you've never been to an ethnic league game in Chicago, then you wouldn't know. And chances are if you've never been to an ethnic league game, you're not a real fan of the game anyway.

Lastly, as I was sitting right next to the Chicago penalty box on the ground floor, I could see the entire crowd on the opposite side. I also have pics, although they're grainy and I'm not sure how to upload them to this site from my Blackberry. I would be hard pressed to say that if you condensed the entire crowd you could fill more than one section.

24. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I think the point is that even if they sell out the Odeum for these games it's only about 1,500 people not 8,000 people.

25. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    That would STILL be more than TWICE in attendance last friday at the sears center. I saw the Riot play Baltimore last year at the Odeum and I GUARANTEE you there were more people there than at the Sears center, with very few visiting fans from Baltimore. I saw the Hispano League finals last year and the Odeum was PACKED to the rafters, at least 3-4 times more people than what I saw at the sears center.