Watching Jozy score and thinking about whether Klinsman is junk

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yabo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of production to poor service?

2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, having viewed the highlights is that a brace and an assist?

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's Jozy's fault that he can only score on teams that try and attack.

I saw that brute strength in action today.

Cheekily losing his marker. Making a top class pass and a picture perfect chip.

Brute strength.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  4. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If by weakness you mean that he doesn't create his own goals but relies upon the service of others then you may be right. He is not a player that is going to dribble around a bunch of guys while moving half the length of the pitch. He does hold up, finish, and his passing is greatly improved since moving to Holland. He is the traditional number 9, the point of the spear, and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Personally, I think he'd do great in the EPL. He's strong, fast, not very 'tight' with his control, but in the EPL it's more about speed, and strength.

With that said, sometimes guys at club can't equal the same form for NT. Look at Pizarro for Peru for example. Amazing career...but considered nothing for the NT.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nothing wrong with him at all! Just not a godo fit for our NT is all I am saying.

I think it's hard for people to comprehend that a guy who is playing as well as him in a decent league like Holland.... can not play as well for NT. It happens....

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    He is actually improving the goal creation aspect also. He has scored several goals that he did almost all the heavy lifting. We have an actual player who can score but we won't play to his strengths...in any way.

F'N mess.

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very odd. As a bench warmer for VR, he managed to lead the US in scoring during the hex. Perhaps it's not the form, but rather the tactics of the team.

aw072760 repped this.
  9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No offense to Altidore...but he's no messi. That's the only type of player you build your team around.

It's unlucky for him, because he is having trouble conforming to how the nT plays like now.

Players all over the world have to adjust when going to play for their NT, and some just can't. Example like I said was Pizarro.

Altidore is at a team that fits him perfect, with players who support and help show off his best attributes...and help hide some of his weaknesses. I think he'll continue kicking ass for AZ. I wonder what is next though?

It will be a delicate choice on where he goes next...because finding the right team for Altidore is what will help him the most. He's had trouble adjusting to playing styles that don't fit him to a Tee.

Again, he's no Messi.

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most nations clearly suffer from this as there are few players world wide to compare to Messi. And yet most nations are able to take their talent and produce results from said players. Jozy is not a world beater by any means, but it's shocking that we can't find ways to provide him some service in or around the box

11. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Put Verbeek in charge of the US and he'll fight the release of players TO club.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't disagree. I just think he needs to do a little bit to meet in the middle at adjusting his game for the NT.

He's showing it finally...but still shows himself being a fish out of water for the NT. Things will click though, I no doubt he'll find a way to contribute to the nT before and during the WC. He'll get his wish of finally scoring at the WC in 2014.

13. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Honestly, no good fits in the world for the US team. Not Messi, Klose, Dzeko, Tevez, or Balotelli. We don't feed anyone enough to actually have an ideal player. Maybe in-prime Kaka. Run the field himself and score.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Actaully, I think David Villa would be an AWESOME forward for us if we could bring him along. :p

15. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    It's not Jozy that's a fish out of water, it's the midfield. The lack of possession and the lack of creativity hurt us. Jozy isn't getting burned by the lack of chemistry, he's getting screwed by the fact that if it comes near dempsey, dempsey will shoot it. If it comes near anyone else, it'll be lost.

16. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I hate him, mostly for the soul patch but he's an excellent player and a hell of a clutch finisher. Shame he broke his leg.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Isn't it wonderfull how we now downgrade one of our more promising young players, who will be moving on to a bigger league shortly, to try and defend a limited coach?

Yup, he's no Messi. Gee thanks for the brilliant insight. All of a sudden we are trying to build a team around him? Really? When did this happen. Just a couple of crosses or balls to a player who has shown he can score. I guess that's building a team around him in JK's sweeping soccer style.

Even an incompetent boob like Maradona had no idea how to play to Messi's strengths. He was a Messi...and look what a clueless coach can do with all that talent.

Adiaga Two repped this.
  18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Downgrade? Nope. Altidore will keep getting his chances...but fact is, when playing for the USMNT isnt the same as playing for AZ, for many different reasons. He has to adjust, if not he will not succeed.

For those complaning about service, pray donovan comes back or true wingers who can swing in crosses like Castillo get more chances in Midfield.

19. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey scored his 20 or so goals at Fulham and now he plays for us as though he's our only hope...though riding pine at Spurs will take some air out of that balloon.
    Bradley scores the occasional golazzo for us, but isn't a true creative CM.
    Jozy's having a break out-hot streak season and carrying AZ...Klinnsman has to be taking notice.
    Do you seriously think he values Herc's work rate over Jozy's goals for their respective clubs?
    Jozy is not one dimensional and JK should mentor him more. Maybe the tactics will swing in favor of finding the goal scorer(s).

20. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not rocket science. Our talent pool is not balanced. We basically have a bunch of talented puzzle pieces that don't fit together. No one has looked good at the striker position for us under klinnsy. I'd argue Jozy has looked pretty good in combinations in his goalless starts they just haven't turned into goals.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This dude is a sicko. Please Klinsmann figure something out for him, because if you can't, you should be gone.

22. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. We don't have a player with that skill set in our pool. My squad is the best imitation I can make with what we have!!

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Herc, Dempsey, Agudelo among other have good scoring rates.

The schemes and tactics being used are more suited to true center forwards like
    Boyd(1 assist and setup a goal against Russia in 170 min);
    Gordon(1 assist in 18 min);
    and worker bee goal mouth predators like Herc.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey has 12 goals and 3 assists this cycle. No issues on his side of the room.

EPL is a bit higher up the European club system isn't it? Altidore played in the EPL as well.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    For all these accolades, Herc has only 3 goals. Not some awesome strike rate. One was a free kick that should have been saved. His goal in Jamaica, could have been Jozy's as he was right behind him. He did a great job to set up the first goal vs. Guatemala in KC. Yes he works hard, but like much of the team, it isn't producing a whole lot of offense or chances.