Watching Jozy score and thinking about whether Klinsman is junk

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yabo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the years I have generally argued for keeping Donovan in midfield and pushing Dempsey higher, since Donovan is the better passer and Dempsey is a terrific finisher. HOWEVER, a couple of posts in this thread make a good case for Donovan perhaps being the better partner for Altidore, due to Donovan's excellent combination play. Also, with Donovan aging, maybe the switch to forward makes more sense, too.

If we can work out the midfield, I'd be in favor of perhaps building apon a 2-forward system (4-4-1-1?) in which Donovan, Dempsey, and Jozy rotate through the two starting spots, with one of them always being the #1 forward off the bench. Gomez is the 4th forward.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In terms of a widely known player, with the physique, the turn, the power, the dribble, the excellent pace, the powerful shot, and ability at quick 1-2s, Luis Suarez is the player along whose lines I'd like to see Jozy develop.

3. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ehhh... Not quite. This is just my opinion, but I think Jozy and Suarez are a little too dissimilar... Suarez is more of a false nine/second forward.

My shot at a prominent figure to compare him to is Thierry Henry. They're both guys with great physique and athletic gifts, but seem to prefer to best their opponent's through their footwork and finesse. I feel like Jozy could be a lesser Didier Drogba.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey has demonstrated by his assist record last season at Fulham that he can lay on the dimes when there are decent shooters about. The problem with pairing Dempsey and Altidore is that neither is a runner or a true center forward or a kind of 3 lung all action forward. Against Italy for example there was zero pressure on Pirlo. There was no one to really stretch out the Italian back line either. There was no elite pace. And so on.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Drogba is a true center forward and nothing at all like Drogba. Henry? A lithe player whose game was built around pace. Nothing at all like Altidore.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I defined 'finisher' as a player with a particular set of distinguishing traits rather than ability to finish.

I agree and had stated Altidore would work better with a strike partner.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nobody pushes Drogba off the ball. Jozy is another matter.

8. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. Jozy is learning to use his physical gifts quite well in combinations with his technical ability, so I could see him getting to be a true lone forward. Henry had more than just pace, and you know that very well. Jozy isn't slow either, by the way. I feel like people forget that. The guy actually has pretty good pace. Moreover, he has good foot work, and his combination play is good. Henry, to a much greater extent of course, was a lot like that. His touch was sublime of course, and his field vision was impressive at times.

9. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When Jozy wants to be, he can show off his muscles. He doesn't always know how, but he can. He's learning.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jozy reminds me most of Giroud (Arsenal).

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Henry was one of the fastest players in the Prem. He had elite speed. He could blow past people and keep pulling away. He liked to use the flanks to his advantage. Different level of pace compared to Altidore. Different body builds. Different favorite parts of the field. Different player.

Altidore could be used as a lone cf but doing so de-emphasizes the best parts of his game.

12. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Actually, I've noticed that Jozy LOVES to drift out to the left touchline just like Henry, and even said himself that he tried to model his game after him somewhat, although that was in a light-hearted Extra Time interview. I won't disagree that Henry is/was worlds faster though.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Henry used the flanks to blow past people. Altidore uses to flanks to post up or use his dribble.

14. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jozy definitely has 1v1 ability though. He's dribbled past at least a few in his time. I remember when he back heeled his way past two Dutch defenders when we faced Holland in Amsterdam. Actually, later on that match, he had a nice move that got him past another two Dutch defenders and then proceeded to laser a shot that forced the best out of Stekelenberg.

(start at the 3:56 mark for that particular highlight)

You're right though. He doesn't really "blow" past people. He gets separation through his foot work, but he at least gets it.

15. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assert that nobody pushes Drogba off the ball when he doesn't want to be pushed off and I'd say the same for Jozy. However, I've seen both of them go down with very little true force being applied.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I've stated numerous times that Jozy does have the dribble move.

TheNearPost repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd have Donovan as the '10' behind 2 forwards, Dempsey as the SS. Like Gomez and Moreno used to do, Gomez often times would make a deep run from midfield, because of speed, and his freight train style, Dempsey would be Donovan's wall pass frmo the forward position as he makes his runs. Dempsey slides as the 10 for that quick second, and covers him. Donovan for me is best played from deep. He needs room to run, and let his wings lose. He still has speed. He's not 35 yet. He can be our totti...but he's not at that point yet.

I think Dempsey is better used close to goal.

19. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The only reason I disagree with this is because Donovan doesn't like roles where he draws too much attention, or else he's completely phased out of the match. As a number 10, the opposition number 6 would be all over him.

Clint Dempsey, on the other hand, seems to like attention and direct confrontation, which is great for Landon. I would prefer to see Dempsey as a number ten and Donovan in the forward line in a free role, allowed to drift from flank to flank between lines, link play, and be the catalyst that he is meant to be for this team.

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He has been used as a CM that attacks by JK in the past. The way he's countered this is by playing him on the wing, and having him switch and constantly lose his mark and change his position with Torres or pick your CM for him to switch with.

Donovan can play centrally, but you bring up a good point. I would just have him switch with whoever is playing central next to him from the outside left wing. He's good at overalpping, and being all over the field. Add that in with combining with Clint... and we have something.

I can't say it enough...we really are hurting with out donovan and what his game brings.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A modern 3 man backline? If Bielsa were in charge...

Donovan has shown he can play as an off forward. Keep it simple.

22. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Jozy has a brilliant goal this year where he goes shoulder to shoulder like 3 times with 3 different defenders to rocket the ball into the net. One of his first ones of the year.

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noted your definition after my post. Was too lazy to edit portions :)

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon and Jozy paired could work as Landon and Keane played very well last year as a forward pairing. My problem with that is where do you then put Clint? I don't like him on either wing, he'll naturally cut in, play narrow, and that'll screw with the space Jozy/Landon need.

But what Jozy really needs, as do most strikers, is service and players surrounding him making threatening runs, smart movement to occupy the defense.

Too often whether it's Clint or Jozy, they have no support, very few supporting runs/options in the attack, and due to that the defense overloads on them. Jozy has actually done a decent job recently being a holdup striker for us but when he does hold the ball up there's no options and no forward runs.

The biggest difference between Jozy at AZ and with us is service and surrounding movement. At AZ he gets the ball played on the ground to him with support. With us he gets long balls lobbed towards him and rarely has support. Doesn't help that without Landon/Shea our wings play compact, making it even easier to load up on Jozy.

We probably need Jozy/Clint paired up top in a 4-4-2, with hopefully an in form Shea out left on the same side as Clint, staying wide, allowing Clint some room to roam, with Jozy on the other side with Landon either staying wide or cutting inside to combine with him. We also need a more creative CM, and until we can run both Mike and Holden out there JK has to suck it up and either play Kljestan in a CENTRAL role, or consider one of Mix, Bedoya, Benny.

But what we're doing won't work, no true wing play, condensed attack, poor movement, no service and no creative mids. The problem isn't Jozy. He's not getting the ball in good spots and blowing opportunities. The problem is our coach hasn't figured a way to even get him the ball in good spots.

25. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot, A LOT closer to Drogba than Suarez, Suarez is an amazing facilitator and passer and roams all over the field. Altidore isn't as flashy or creative for others as Suarez is.