Waste at the Pentagon

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by stanger, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Let any pol try to piss on the 3rd rail. 'Muricans love their "entitlements" that they funded half their lives.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    IIRC audits were how we found out about $600 toilet seats back in the 80s. Might've been from one of Sen. Proxmire's Golden Fleece awards

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only that they/we really did not, well not in full.

4. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I worked for NOAA and we were audited once a year starting in January-ish. I never asked if it was compulsory or a compliance check. I know the USDA had one as well.

Kinda shocking that DOD or US Navy doesn't have an audit. Maybe they weren't asking the right people the question in that article.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It is infuriating that even my wife buys into that mindframe of "government employees are ineficient and overpaid so we must privatize". Just last Sunday I was correcting her on the issue telling her how the big issue is not salaries or waste, is how resources are allocated to private projects and benefactors, like that nice little stadium that Becks wants on the bay for a modical tax exempetion of $3 or 4 million per year for the next 50 years (that off course will cost double that)...

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://theaviationist.com/2014/07/04/f-35-grounding-2014/

Here’s the official statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby on F-35 Fleet Grounding:

The technical air worthiness authorities of the Department of the Air Force and Department of the Navy have issued a directive to ground the F-35 fleet based on initial findings from the runway fire incident that occurred at Eglin Air Force Base on Monday, June 23. The root cause of the incident remains under investigation. Additional inspections of F-35 engines have been ordered, and return to flight will be determined based on inspection results and analysis of engineering data. Defense Department leadership supports this prudent approach. Preparations continue for F-35 participation in international air shows in the United Kingdom, however a final decision will come early next week.

/quote

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did you know her views before you two got married?

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    She does not think that government is the problem. As a matter of fact her dad was a public servant in Colombia for 30 years and she benefited from it in several ways. So consciously she does understand the role of government but it has happened that sometimes her reaction to news of "waste" in things like public pensions or a tax hike, mimics that of the most of the populace.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Both of which were launched in 1914-1915 :D

An IJN or USN battleship/BC could also put up a heck of a lot of flack as you said. So they had their purpose.

IMO a powerful standing navy is rather important to protect your sea lanes and commerce. A large standing army is useful for one thing- aggressive action.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    As if things don't change after marriage ...

song219 repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    After 30+ years in the private sector, I'm pretty sure govt employee are no more inefficient than private sector employees.

Transparent_Human and dapip repped this.
  16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    FYP

17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...3fdb3a-df8c-11e3-9743-bb9b59cde7b9_story.html

"The IG found $21.7 million in “potentially excessive payments” for overtime, including one employee who billed $176,900 for 1,208 hours in a 12-day period. That caught investigators’ attention, since the employee was billing for more than 100 hours a day. "
    Hahaha!!! Caught their attention! I leave out 2 grand from my taxes and some government bean counter will catch it outta 70 million returns but some worker on a Fed contract can list biling for 100 hours or more a day and it goes un-noticed for whatever amount of time. Sheet maing! What a country soN!!!

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Feds: Damned if they are efficient and damned if they are not.

American Brummie and JBigjake repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did you understand that the employee is a private sector employee and that the IG has to conduct audits after the fact and with limited resources?

Off course that does not let the Pentagon off the hook but most likely the guy overseeing the contracts is trying not to hurt his prospects to become a contractor himself...

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't change the price of tea in China for me however!
    I gives a shit how their process works, all I know is that I will get garnished wages, years later for deductions or earnings I did or did not leave on my return totaling $190 but if someone is actively defrauding our Fed, FOR MILLIONS of dollars, the bean counter down at the local government accounting office specifically assigned to this contract won't know about the scam till the payout was made. Classic.

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    So, there's a time element in each case, but you're complaining that yours took longer ...

taosjohn repped this.
  23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That's capitalism at work. Those with large amounts of capital influence the procedures & laws so they can keep hold of a large amount of capital.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not at all.
    I am complaining that I took no active approach to defrauding my government from the few dollars they so desperatly need here, where multiple workers are passing bills to be paid out in the thousands and millions of dollars and I am left to wonder which government accounting office do you fear more. The ones that focus on citizens or the one that focuses on giant corporate contracts. Cuz one will get after yo' ass real quick and the other, after readign the article, the other takes their time locating accounting errors.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that the lack of oversight on the part of the Government representative was willful or intentional. many CORs (contracting officer's representative - essentially the technical person overseeing contract performance) are severely overloaded/overworked. usually, these guys are engineers, scientists, or program managers, for whom their COR duties are "other duties as assigned" - i.e. ancillary to their normal jobs. and anymore, with more and more automated systems coming online (in an effort to increase transparency and obtain a clean audit), much of their time is spent doing mundane, data-entry type of work in the automated systems. doesn't give them a whole lot of time to do actual contractor surveillance and monitor performance. the temptation is to trust the contractor...