Waste at the Pentagon

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by stanger, Nov 19, 2013.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I understood his point to be that the Republicans were content to leave DoD accounting as a mare's nest, and Democrats eventually tried to do something to fix it. Therefore the Democrats record, though poor, is at least better than the Republicans.

Also, reading the article does not make me see the discrepancies as "waste" necessarily or mainly.

It sounds as though most of the problem involves either appropriations which were entered on the revenue side of more than one system, and which were then mistaken for separate funds existing in series rather than the same funds entered in parallel, thus creating "ghost" credits which cannot be accounted for because they never actually existed; or properly appropriated and probably mostly properly spent funds which were not properly documented as debits and cannot now be proven to have been properly spent.

There is also I concede a strong likelihood of duplicate spending in such a situation, and the articles section on inventories suggests this happened some. And also of course, such conditions might be an invitation to embezzlement -- but the embezzler would have to be either stupid or reckless, as it sounds as though no one understands the way the systems interact well enough to be sure they would not function properly in a given case...

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never want to be elected to any office. I want to be a professor.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A huge standing military was our 1st mistake. Cuz you have to give all those young men & women tools of war and then you can't never-ever cut defense jobs, ya commie pinko!

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the point. We don't need to "cut" anything if you remove the waste.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #30 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Since I'm of the belief that our nukes & missile capabilities have been mostly responsible for us not being attacked the last 60 yrs and our bloated military is the very definition of "waste", if I was in charge I would take a chainsaw to this jobs program known as our standing military. Bases closed, brass drastically cut, shutter entire rings of the Pentagon, mothball any weapons that are fighting wars from the mid 20th century. Seriously - when's the last time 2 battleships went at it? GONE!!

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The "Iowa" and "Wisconsin" were stricken from the register in 2006. They were the last ones.

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make it sound so easy, but the reality is that it's difficult. Waste is entrenched in the system, and the political class encourages it. If anyone runs on the platform of reforming the system, they get attacked by their opponents as being "soft on defense", whatever that means. Congress contributes to this by funding stuff that the Pentagon doesn't want, like the alternate engine for the latest fighter plane -- I guess that thing finally died a year or two ago, but Congress kept appropriating money for the alternate engine built by GE when the Pentagon only wanted the engine from Pratt & Whitney. Total cost to the taxpayers was something like $3 billion.

If you have any suggestions to fix the system, fire away, but the reality is that the waste is very hard to clean up.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Works for me. Personally, I would prefer a Euro-sized government and budget, meaning higher overall taxes and more services. But if this country opted for a lower-revenue, lower-cost model, I could live with that, too.

But what politician supports this? I don't see anybody out there offering a realistic budget that matches expenditures and revenues. I see people who are giving away candy. Lower taxes, cut a few of the other party's programs, and leave the vast majority of the federal budget essentially unchanged.

I mean, we've been there with Reagan and we've been there with W. I see no evidence that a President who promises to cut the size of government will follow through. But that President *will* cut revenues.

So to me, the Dems are fiscally poor and the Republicans are fiscally worse.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    why so late?

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    They were already decommissioned and mothballed, which costs very little.

(They were enormously expensive to build back when relevant, but not so expensive to operate as long as they weren't cruising aimlessly.)

They were saved against the possibility of a conflict in which heavy bombardment of shore installations was desirable. Battleships are quite good at that, and cruise missiles and 8 inch guns are not particularly useful against some types of near targets.

However, the "Missouri" had only fired 200 rounds or so in the Gulf War, and that didn't seem very cost effective; plus any 60 year old vessel deteriorates even in mothballs, and no one was going to promote the idea of building new ones...

It just seemed more economical, once the real money had been spent building them, to keep a few around and use them occasionally for anything they were still useful for-- but eventually that economy runs out.

(BTW the last battle between battleships was October 25, 1944, the battle of Surigao Strait. Five of the battleships raised and repaired after Pearl Harbor, along with the "Mississippi," destroyed the "Yamashiro" and "Fuso" and accompanying cruisers and destroyers. Even there, the torpedoes of their accompanying destroyers did more damage than the battleships.)

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are great for soaking up hits against the Japanese fleet early on, but it's always better to buy destroyers and subs. Pretty standard play.

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Lots more complicated than that; without both the numerical advantage and the geographical advantage that the Royal Navy had in 1914 the Germans would never have had to discover the joys of unrestricted submarine warfare.

I suppose the Japanese would have by about 1942 or so-- but it wasn't Allied commerce that was exposed in the Pacific, and it was Pearl Harbor that forced the USN into making the guerre du corse into a major part of the strategy. We had subs, we didn't have battleships for them to scout for anymore.

This and the proficiency of the Japanese at night destroyer tactics forced the US to make its torpedoes actually work and to translate the use of destroyers as an offensive fleet asset as well as a defensive one from theory to practice.

But you know, destroyers and submarines of the time were extremely vulnerable to air attack. At the battle of Coral Sea, a group of American fighters sank a Japanese destroyer with machine gun fire alone.

In the Mediterranean in the forties the prompt action by the British to neutralize the Italian, and then the French capital ships was pretty key to maintaining some access to North Africa and the Suez.

And while the aircraft carrier was the key to the second war, one thing which the popular histories gloss over is quite true. No aircraft carrier accompanied by a battleship was ever destroyed by air action-- after about 1942 the anti-aircraft armament had progressed to that point.

13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aa/welcome

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yep. You totally figured that on your own. Nobody told you about it before.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...fort-part-deux.1304945/page-189#post-28920267

[​IMG]

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is income security? Is that part of the farm bill?

And why is health not included in medicare?

17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have your arrow pointing at the National Defense piece of the pie.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Google says--

"Function 600 consists of a range of income security programs that provide cash or near-cash assistance (e.g., housing, nutrition, and energy assistance) to low-income persons, and benefits to certain retirees, persons with disabilities, and the unemployed. Housing assistance programs account for the largest share of discretionary funding in this function. Major federal entitlement programs in this function include unemployment insurance, trade adjustment assistance income support, food stamps, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, foster care, and Supplemental Security Income. Federal and other retirement and disability programs comprise approximately one third of the funds in this function."

"Function 550 includes most direct health care services programs. Other health programs in this function fund anti-bioterrorism activities, national biomedical research, protecting the health of the general population and workers in their places of employment, providing health services for under-served populations, and promoting training for the health care workforce. Some of the agencies funded in this function include the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Food and Drug Administration. The major mandatory programs in this function are Medicaid, the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), federal and retirees' health benefits, and health care for Medicare-eligible military retirees."

Now was that all that hard?

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fvck that is a lot of money, and here I was thinking those programs were relatively small in terms of over all budget.

I may have to go to the Republican side on this one.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

American Brummie repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the most interesting classes I had at university was "History of War, part II". The professor took us through technology advancement in war. Basically, it was about how advances in chemistry, physics, and mathematics changed both the defensive and offensive nature of war.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you're Ok with it then (as long as it doesn't ho to welfare queens and urban democrats)?

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Sounds like one I'd have signed up for.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Individually, they are. Within that "Income Security" wedge, there is the NIH, HUD, Funding for the CDC, SNAP and SCHIP and the FDA. All together, they make a lot, but nothing individually compared to National Defense.[/quote]
    http://wheredidmytaxdollarsgo.com/tax_payers

dapip repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ssa.gov/oact/ssir/SSI13/C_exec_sum.html

In 2012 $52B went to SSI, which isn't what I typically think of when I think of such programs.

Whether that changes your mind or not, I don't know. I know that $52B lacks context; is that half that segment of the pie chart? 1/4? I dunno.