Washington Spirit draft picks

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Tiffany McCarty (F) - While still in high school, scored the goal that iced the championship for the 2007 (W-League) Washington Freedom. Not a big player but "fantastically efficient" according to Chris Henderson of AWK. From Laurel, MD, in the DC suburbs.

2. Caroline Miller (F) - Top forward from UVA and another local player who grew up in Rockville, MD.

3. Holly King (M) - Standout defensive midfielder who was superb for the DCU Women in 2012 on those occasions when she was available to play for them. From Ashburn, VA.

4. Colleen Williams (M/F) - Ranked 15th on AWK's "Big Board", seems like a steal as the 26th pick. Only nonlocal selection as she's from Titusvill, NJ, though she did go to college in head coach Mike Jorden's hometown of Dayton.

2. JeffN

JeffN New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Virginia
    I thought the Spirit did very well in the draft. Pleased to see them get both McCarty and Miller. I was impressed with Miller's play at UVA over the last two years. It will be interesting to see how she does at this level.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Washington had the best draft of anyone, in terms of filling their needs.

Their roster now has two great young forwards (McCarty and Miller) and two great attacking midfielders (Williams and Matheson). Williams can be up top as well if needed. And Matheson is the engine of that Canadian attack. She is outstanding at starting or continuing an attack, and piecing it together in terms of leading to goal scoring (and scoring chances), and can also score key goals as well (like she did in the Bronze Medal Match to give France another 4th place finish and a medal-less heartbreak).

Washington is in a position now where they just need one of De Vanna and Sanderson, instead of both. They still need to get a "veteran" goal scorer on this team. They could even sign both, and have four forwards (McCarty, Miller, Sanderson, De Vanna), and two attacking mids (Williams, Matheson), which is what you want on your 20-player roster. There's room for all six of those players on their roster. If so, they become virtually a guaranteed playoff team, with the rest of their roster, provided Harris is back, and provided they stay healthy.

Matheson is the unsung hero on this team.

[​IMG]

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'm delighted with the outcome of the draft. I would have been happy to get two of the four top local picks, and we not only got three but the three I preferred. (I just have a gut feeling that Nairn is overrated, though I may live to regret thinking that.)

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Washington got the 3 out of 4 that you listed, that are more "valuable" to them (in terms of need). I think Washington will draft Morgan Brian when she's eligible. Brian will also want to play with Miller, as they're friends. I know Brian is possibly two years away, but thinking long-term, Brian is better than Nairn in the midfield. And Washington has a very strong midfield right now (Matheson, C. Williams, Lindsey, Worbis, Holly King).

I see Morgan Brian with Washington in my crystal ball.
    Unless Atlanta gets an expansion team in 2015, and has the #1 pick.
    They would take Brian #1 then.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States