Warning: Personal Attacks and Invasion of Privacy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Effective immediately we are going to be taking a tougher stand on personal attacks.

In particular, there will be a no tolerance policy regarding personal attacks that involve an invasion of privacy. This refers to posters who use information they know about other posters private lives in order to attack them. It also refers to posters who reveal information they know about another poster -name, occupation etc- without the other poster's permission.

I will make this clear: Unless a poster volunteers private personal information in order to make a point within the context of a specific discussion, no other poster should go there. Bigsoccer is a site in which most members choose to have made up user-names and have an expectation that their private personal information will remain protected. We are going to protect the privacy wall that exists in BigSoccer.

Consider this a warning. If you have any questions about this, please contact me or one of the other mods. But as a general rule, if you are not sure if you should post something about somebody else, I suggest that you don't post it, because you will most likely receive an infraction.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know the specific poster you're mostly talking about.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is not about any specific poster. We've recently had complaints from different posters who've been attacked in this manner, and it's also happened to other posters who didn't complain about it.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, dude, I've seen _________________ attack posters based on personal info they've gathered over the years. In my case, I have wanted to call out sabo based on info he posted quite a while ago, but have declined since I believe he had a reason for changing his user name.

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, only "personal attacks" are off the table? Asshats can still attack whole groups with barely veiled racism, lie through their teeth, and otherwise make the conversation unbearable without repercussion, right?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I guess someone has to be the guardian of insane, racist opinions around here.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course we'll deal with alleged lies, trolling and racism when they manifest themselves. Feel free to report a post if you believe it crosses the line, it's really helpful.

I do believe that there are situations in which certain points of view need to be addressed and exposed by discourse rather than removed, but those are judgment calls.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    So if I say to you, "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries", it will only be actionable IF in fact, your mother really WAS a hamster and your father DID smelt of elderberries?

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm tempted to infract you just for coming up with such a scenario. :D

That Cherokee repped this.
  10. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, following the logic of the policy, it doesn't matter if they really are/smelt that way. Only if ASF volunteered that information, and then apparently [/i]only[/i] in the thread in which it was volunteered. Don't try to use that stuff in another thread, where such information might also be relevant. If you're looking for a place to stay, and ASF says "You can stay with my parents", I'm not allowed to reply "But didn't you once say that your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries?"

Many people on here make open personal details of their lives. Lawyers, teachers, referees, American Indians, are always quick to throw such information out there if they think that it helps their case. If a person I know to be a lawyer suddenly comes out against some form of tort reform, you can be sure I'm going to put out the possibility of his profession biasing his opinion.

In short, if you didn't want your shit to be used against you, you shouldn't have put your shit out there in the first place.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point everyone is missing here is that attacking someone based on what they do for a living rather than the substance of their argument is just plain bad argumentation. Yes, it's good to know that Demo is a teacher in the Education thread. Or that nicephoras works in finance if he's talking about Wall Street reform. But if you dismiss their points out of hand simply because of the potential for bias (rather than the actual display of bias) then you're being a ass.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't bother me. If I bring up personal details from my life in order to make a point or bolster an argument, then I do think those details are fair game. I make an effort to use my personal experience and observations as evidence in support of an actual argument, rather than resorting to appeals to my own authority -- i.e., "I'm a teacher and therefore an expert on this, so what I say must be correct." When someone then responds with, basically, "You are a teacher and therefore what you say is incorrect," well that's just doing the same thing in reverse. It's asserting a bias in order to dismiss the person's argument whole cloth, and I agree with you that it's bad argumentation and makes a person look like an ass. But at the same time, being a sucky debater isn't infraction-worthy.

Now, all that said, I'm pretty careful about which details I bring up and which ones I hide. If someone were to bring up a detail from my life which I had not brought up myself, or which I had brought up in another context (maybe another forum), that could potentially be a problem. In that case the problem would not so much be the personal attack, as the revealing of private information.

I honestly think we go down a dangerous path when we start handing out infractions for the use of someone's personal information in an argument. I trust ASF's judgement, but I hope this policy is mostly concerning those cases in which a poster reveals someone's private, personal information without the other person's permission. That is certainly unacceptable.

EDIT - Okay, now that I think about it I will add one thing. Frequently danny has implied not only that I'm biased because of my job, but that I'm biased specifically because I'm bad at my job. That is at the very least skirting the line. He does the same thing to Jacen and presumably would to anyone who admits to being a public school teacher. Maybe he's just trying to needle people, or maybe he thinks it's clever or funny. But it definitely approaches the area of personal attack.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question.

If I make an accurate description of a person's politics and worldview,and they don't like it,can I get carded?

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Let me quote the first post, so it doesn't get buried and everybody is clear.

As far as the questions and the points that some of you made, you're going to have to trust my judgment, although sometimes I will have to defer to the supermods' judgment.

Just to give an example, if I share my experiences, and in the course of debating I choose to tell people I'm a small business owner, and I import from China, and I pay X in taxes, then those things are fair game within the context of the discussion, I'm not going to infract somebody for debating me and questioning me based on the information I brought up. But if somebody maliciously attacks me out of context because of the information I volunteered, then it's not acceptable.

And if somebody finds out something about another poster in real life, or in a social network, or by searching the internet based on clues they gathered, and then brings it up here to attack them, well, that goes without saying. I trust everybody who reads this is intelligent enough to see the boundaries.

To conclude, use common sense when you post, and I promise to use common sense when I judge it. I'll go ahead and close this thread. If you have any more questions or comments about it, feel free to PM me.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to bump this thread. We've had a rash of these in the last couple of days. Cut it out, please.

soccernutter repped this.