War on Christmas - 2012 edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by cleansheetbsc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I like the idea of Nutella, but when spread on bread, it's a little much.

If you're not sold on regular grocery store peanut butter, I recommend trying the natural stuff. Just store the jar upside down overnight before you open it.

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I do like the natural PB.

I'd say the same for Nutella though. It's not the best, just the one with name recognition that gets exported to America. There's this one Croatian brand that I can get at a nearby food import store that is amazing ... heavy on the hazelnut and low on the sugar. Delicious

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're preaching to the choir here, though I'll happily part ways with you on Christmas music. Not all of it, by any means, but there's a lot of wonderful stuff (Ella Fitzgerald, some classical pieces, etc.) that I really do love.

Well, to me, anyway.

But re: your counterbalancing question, you reap what you sow. Especially in the States, I think, what we've sown is an incredibly diverse, evolving and mobile society. Who among us (who are from the US) lives in the place where we were born? The notion of tradition is, by its nature, static; as such it's at odds with the structure of American society. It's awfully difficult to maintain tradition (and there's no more tradition-laden time of year than Christmas) in practice when your immediate family is spread out across a half dozen states; when you live in a country whose religious, linguistic and cultural reality is more diverse than any other place on the planet.

Layer over that the tremendous number of divorced families in this country (raises hand), and I really don't see how the ******** we maintain any meaningful holiday traditions whatsoever. Yet the urge to try persists.

It's pretty clear that the US's adoration of all things commercial has leeched into and rotted the very core of the holiday experience, as well. But here we have a choice: Just don't buy a lot of shit. But you can't though simply conjure up Rockwellian scenes of Christmas traditions when the country has such a profound history of developing in a manner that shreds that kind of cultural fabric.

Oh, and the global warming messes it up for me, as well. This Minnesotan equates Christmas with winter, and we've pretty much lost that season.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My extended family are 1300-plus miles West, so Thanksgiving just isn't what it was when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind seeing them all again some holiday.

Xmas with my parents (they generally come out East, spend the actual holiday w/my sister and her family in NJ, then come down to VA to see us) generally kind of sucks, but not much more than their other visits sorta suck. Except that with school being on break and our son taking a break from travel soccer, we have zero excuses to excuse ourselves for other activities. My parents have no concept of personal space, and it never occurs to them that either my wife or myself might want five minutes to ourselves here and there.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My favorite war on Christmas:

[​IMG]

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What brand is that? A chocolate hazelnut butter sounds good. Nutella is just frosting. I don't get the Internet's love for it.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I can't remember that specific brand ...

But you can try La Nouba from Belgium. It's my girlfriend's favorite brand because it's even lower in calories than the Croatian one I like.

But the best way to go is making your own at home. I get just the nut puree at the same import store. The brand is Concept Fruits from France. The nut puree itself is less than 1 calorie per gram (50 calories per 1/4 cup). Then there's plenty of recipes online that can get the calories way down.

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm not saying there isn't Christmas music that I like and think is good, more that the ubiquitous nature of Christmas music in a shopping setting is a bit much for me.

I do have fond memories of caroling as a child and such, but now I tend to associate it more with muzak at the mall which has far more negative connotations.

Agreed, though I think our circumstances are a bit different. In general I'm less concerned swapping gifts, that's more of a thing for kids, and I no longer participate in any religious ceremony. The season has become about spending quality time with friends and family in my immediate vicinity.

I've found that traditions have drifted slightly. In years past I might have bought bigger gifts for my parents and siblings, but now we tend to set a limit and keep it under that, and spend a bit more on the next generation. I've got very little family not within an hours drive or two, so we tend to get together here in the city, either way - the annual events on the 24th - 31st are fairly unchanged even if the people that show up varies a bit over time.

If anything, I've come to appreciate this time of year more for the people and good times, and less about the gifts and shopping.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what you're saying is that for you Christmas has become an excuse to hang around people/family rather than getting presents?? man, you must really like your family!
    me, I put up with the people/family part for the payoff of the presents! :D

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Put it this way - I like my family a lot more now that I don't live with them. I'm also at the point where I can afford most of the stuff I need/want and would rather spend my time with friends and family than shopping.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally get you dude. I was just kidding.
    although I've learned over the last couple of Christmases that I can't spend more that 4-5 days straight with my folks without getting into an argument with my mom.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was pleased to learn from the owners of the coffeeshop where I hang out most days have a policy regarding Christmas music. They let the baristas choose the music. No rap or death metal, since those genres tend to make it hard to concentrate or converse, and no more than 1 hour per day of Christmas music. Luckily, that hour is unlikely to take place in the morning, given the baristas.

13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm really lucky - I live like four subway stops from their place - so I sleep in my own bed and we rarely spend more than a day together.

I'm far more likely to go stir crazy if I go up to the family cottage for a week in the summer.

14. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, me, I stay at the house - in my old room in fact. and it used to be that I would go and hike for a day with my brother or do some other things to relieve the boredom and the stress of each others' company, but this past Christmas especially I was there with my 4 year old (who does his share to raise everyone's blood pressure level), and my mom just had surgery and dad was working, so I couldn't just leave my kid with her and get out of the house. it became like an insane asylum by day 4.

15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'd institute hikes with your four year old for sanity - you get out of the house - and hopefully end up with a tired kid that needs a nap when you get back.

I'm actually looking forward to my out-of-town brother's family coming to visit - we usually get a pickup game of shinny going at some point - and I get drunk with both my brothers at least one night.

16. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I'll definitely start that this year. so far, he's not much of a hiker. he's more of a climber. so if there are some rocks nearby, he's good. but if it's just a hiking path, we're lucky if we make it past the picnic tables at the trail-head.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent a week in a condo with my siblings and their various offspring in May and by the time it was over I thought I was going to lose it. I ended up leaving for the airport about three hours earlier than I need to.

I love my family, I do. Hell, I even like most of them. But there comes a point where I can't handle the chaos any more, especially when little kids and/or dogs are around. Fortunately, they know that I do not thrive in loud social situations and don't get upset when I go off to be alone for a while.

18. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me it's the unduly restrictive rules about what can be done, when, and where - especially when it comes to my child. I mean hell, he's on the spectrum, so he doesn't exactly follow instructions very well, and the only way to make sure he doesn't do something he shouldn't is by keeping an eye on him ALL the time. I just am not capable of doing that. and then my mom gets on my ass because my child broke some silly rule with very insignificant consequences.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And besides, he's 4! You can't have a 4yo around and not expect some chaos and destruction. Tell your mom to lighten up. Or stay in a hotel.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it all starts out well enough, with the best of intentions. but by day 4...
    there's something about mom's telling their adult children how to raise their kids.
    grandma always knows best - apparently... it's a process - and as has been stated in this thread previously, we are muddling through it as best we can ... and it's still going to suck :)

21. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you schedule shorter visits?

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like after every Christmas I swear that very thing to myself. then somehow when I buy the airplane tix, I seem to forget. this year though the little guy is going to be with him mom in Texas, so I'm just hanging out here in Denver for the holidays.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow. When an airport starts to seem like a refuge... Yeah, it's time to leave.

bigredfutbol and ElasticNorseman repped this.
  24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met him in Palo Alto about 15 years ago for a book signing. He is the only person that I ever asked for an autograph. I thought his insight into the human condition and ability to make fun of everyone, but not be offensive to be brillant. When he retired, he mentioned that he wanted to retire before running out of ideas or being a constant re-run of ideas.

Bloom County. Calvin and Hobbes. Far Side. Dam, I miss them...

Auriaprottu, Ismitje and raza_rebel repped this.
  25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a salvo in the fight against insipid Christmas songs!