War on Christmas - 2012 edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by cleansheetbsc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    me. me. me.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    My youngest is 11. We are so done with it. Just give them their gift cards and electronics.

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on guys. And it'll be even longer because most people wait until the weekend after thanksgiving to start, and thanksgiving came early this year.

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hah, hah - me, too. Being Jewish, I don't have the hassle of the tree, lights and other crap. When I said I'm OK with it, I meant that I'm not bothered by everyone else doing it. I pretty much skip the holiday altogether. I just wish I could avoid that crap music.

Dyvel repped this.
  5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that something new? When I was in a church choir as a kid, we sang Christmas carols before the 25th. I can't swear that they were part of the actual mass before midnight mass, but I'm pretty sure they were. Also we had events where we would go around caroling in the neighborhood and senior centers and things.

But you're right about Christmas lasting until the 6th. Only heathens take their trees down at New Years.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of choirs and crap Christmas music, in my opinion the best Christmas music are the sacred ones. In a big church, with a great organ and the entire congregation singing? Man, good stuff.

The only thing I really miss about going to Mass is the music. The hymns are usually the best part of the service. (Assuming decent musical accompaniment. My church had a great organist.)

Auriaprottu and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, try being Jewish and married to a Catholic. Yes, there is a tree. Beyond that I will not decorate the house, and I sure as hell ain't getting on a ladder to hang stuff outdoors.

After nearly 20 years of going to my in-laws house (and damnit, I don't think I can recall a good lake effect white Christmas in all that time), I am ready to revert back to a Jewish Xmas of a movie and either Chinese food or Kosher Deli. Or, a 3 day trip to Florida would be much preferred. My wife is starting to see the dark side as well.

The music? I like it, just not the 24/7 radio stations that begin on November 1st.

Edit: And from my Jewish Xmas' past - I can watch and enjoy "Its A Wonderful Life" time and time again. I curse NBC for buying up the rights to it.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This X [a really big number]

Love traditional Christmas music (and traditional hymns in general). Our church used to go caroling every year--we'd visit the hospital in town, the two nursing homes, the old hotel-turned-apartment-building mostly inhabited by older people on fixed incomes, and elderly members of the congregation at their homes. It was always a real nice evening.

9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    We all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It's run by a big eastern syndicate, you know.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Frosty the Snowman" is one of the worst songs ever written, recorded, or sung.

Also--whoever decided it would be cute to have children's choirs throw in cutesy "like a lightbulb!" lines into the already insipid-enough "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" should received a large lump of coal in their stocking. And then be beaten into unconsiousness with said stocking full of coal.

Dr. Wankler and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You know what I'm looking forward to? Another update to The Hanukkah Song. I just love how Adam Sandler names famous people.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  12. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the family viewing of Elf and Christmas Vacation on Xmas Eve, the late night people enjoy Very Bad Santa (Bad Santa unedited)

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't stand the whole "cha-cha-cha" and other things yelled during "Happy Birthday To You."

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Is that Gallup or Rasmussen?

I'm not buying it until Nate Silver chimes in

ElasticNorseman and msilverstein47 repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nate Silver? He's sitting out Christmas and going to a movie and some Chinese food.

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't mind if this got played a bit more...

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Dyvel repped this.
  18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I figure if I just manage to avoid the mall, and don't turn on my television for the first four weeks of December I'm good. If all goes to plan I'll only have some family meals to attend - assuming the family all stick to the agreed budget - and a handful of gifts to buy.

Yeah, that's not a workable plan.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Angel made me numb
    The angel made me void
    Got thrown out of the bar
    Then I wrecked my car
    Got socked in the jaw
    Cussed out by my mama
    Someone stole my money
    Screamed at by my honey
    Things was gettin' worse
    Things was gettin' worse
    Things was gettin' worse
    Things was gettin' worse

We gonna have a good life

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I grew up in a mixed household that gradually evolved into 100% Jewish, so I have some cool Christmas memories, too. Still like the smell of an actual Christmas tree, the Charlie Brown Christmas special (I guess it won't be brought to us by Hostess this year), certain kinds of holiday cookies, stuff like that. I married an atheist who wasn't bothered by not celebrating Xmas, so we just never have. The kids don't feel deprived - hey, 8 nights of presents and potato pancakes, too.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hehe, I evolved away from religion ever since the moment I stepped into Hebrew school. At least the catholic kids went to religion after dark. I lost 2 days from 4-6 PM for 5 years there.

My wife is allergic to everything. A real tree indoors would near make her die. We tried it a couple of times.
    Hostess & Charlie Brown? I always remember York Peppermint Patties and Almond Joy/Mounds commercials.
    Chanukah is quick in the house. Light a menorah (my wife gets Jewish guilt), kids get one video game for Xbox and I make Latkes and a brisket (While not religious and am damn well, ethnic. Its Lox. Not Smoked Salmon).

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Santa's sleigh would've needed a car alarm and a "No Radio" sign if he parked on Hollis Ave too long back in the day

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a jazz perspective, XMas carols have some really great chord changes. You can quote a lot of "The Christmas Song" in Charlie Parker's "Confirmation".

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    and one of these:
    [​IMG]

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are confusing Christmas with Giftmas. Both holidays share the same calendar date, but one celebrates the birth of Christ, and the other celebrates the death of everything Christ lived and died for.

I suppose the unadulterated use of Christmas as a cover for the most conspicuously vacant buying binge ever foisted on humanity proves that it is really the devil's work. Why do you think they call it "Black Friday?"

You buy shit on Black Friday and call it a "Christmas Gift" and you're going to hell for sure.