War on Christmas - 2012 edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by cleansheetbsc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow, really? I grew up in--and my parents still live in--Hamilton County, right next to Hall County (where GI is). My mom used to work at a building just two blocks from the building in your first picture (which is still standing but no longer serves as the Court House, I believe). My folks still subscribe to the Indpendent, the newspaper which is published in the building in the foreground of the bottom picture.

Growing up, the big thing for teens with a car to do on weekends was to cruise South Locust in GI. Yep, for us that was the big city.

EDIT: By the way, Grand Island really IS an island...in the Platte River. Named by French Explorers. The river is now so depleted from irrigation that the name probably seems sarcastic but back in the day when it was over half a mile across in points, the Platte was a real impediment to transportation and travel.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I stand corrected: My mom grew up in Howard County, one county up. Born in Farwell on January 1st, living in Dannebrog for a few months until spring, then moving to the county seat of St. Paul (birth place and death place of baseball Hall of Famer Grover Cleveland Alexander, whom my mom remembers as the town drunk). But for my mom, Grand Island was also the Big City. I haven't been in St. Paul for forty years, but I remember how small it was compared to the booming metropolis of Galesburg, IL. I assumed based on those initial impression that GI must've been the county seat because St. Paul struck me as so rinky dink.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i was going though this town just a couple of days before xmas, many years ago... a kid got on and sat beside me... he was on his way to des moines.

he'd never been to des moines, and he wasn't looking forward to it. nor had he ever been to omaha, and only a half-dozen times in his life to grand island, which he didn't think much of either. he came from some small town somewhere near there which was the only place he considered really suitable for habitation. but he'd bucked up his courage for the sojourn to des moines because he had just enlisted and it was there that he would be welcomed into the bosom of the US armed forces. and sent off for three years in korea. of which he was surprisingly far less apprehensive than of a couple of days in the fleshpots of des moines.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daleks declare victory in the war on Chrimbo.

[​IMG]

Next conquest....

[​IMG]

Dyvel repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're gonna exterminate Seacrest!

F___ Yeaaahhhhh!

6. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who won the war this time? Any predictions for next year's version?

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes and where do I apply for war reconstruction aid?

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well my prediction for next year's edition is that i'm not going to miss out on all the fun! i'm bringing this war back home!

we're bringing the war back home!
    where it ought to have been before,
    will kill all the bees and spiders and flies,
    and we won't play in iceboxes lying on their sides!

we'll wash our hands after wee-wee,
    and if we're a girl before!
    and we'll march, march, march, et cetera,
    'til we ain't gonna march no more!

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as with all wars, if we don't fight them there, we'll have to fight them here.
    those are our only options. seriously...

Boloni86 repped this.
  11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Benghazi. Seems like that is where all the anger was going this season. Of course, Bill O' Reilly was claiming that he already won.