Wall Street Journal Article on Red Bull New York

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Thomas A Fina, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
  2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Exactly. Still waiting for the big splash that I thought Heck promised this season.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fits in pretty nicely with everyone's gripes about him caring more about new fans than existing ones. Its not that he's wrong that the team should be shooting to become engrained in NY's sport culture, just that this will take far longer and far more effort than a few marketing campaigns or discount tickets and he doesn't seem to have any fresh ideas on how to increase the team's market visibility.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    As much as I don't like the guy, I'm not going to kill him about the "glad we haven't won yet" comment. I get what he's saying even if I think he's deluding himself - one championship isn't the silver bullet.

6. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Heck is either a genius , idiot savant or totally clueless. He is correct that he is competing with other sports and for that matter other forms of entertainment. However, I cannot understand why he disenfranchised loyal MetroStar/ Red Bull soccer fans. Sure, I like hockey, gridiron football, college basketball, baseball, concerts, etc. For me, soccer takes precedence especially when I am there in person versus watching an alternative event on TV.

Again, I cannot wait for NYC2

PS That Living Social deal seems desperate.

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I hate to break it to you, but NYC2 will have the exact same problems that the Red Bulls have...

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't agree. They aren't going to have absentee ownership that is focused on branding. I don't think they are going to be tied to players because of product licensing.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a hell of an assertion, and quite easily could not be true.

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I disagree, they already brought in Eric Cantona. You think that was for his insightful business oriented mind?

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Explain to me a scenario where it could "easily be not be true".

If you are talking about the Cosmos, the guy who made all those ridiculous PR moves has been fired, and there's no guarantee that they'd be the owners when/if there is a NY2. And that's still different than having to keep a guy like Marquez because you are putting his face on your soda cans.

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I did not know this. I'll show myself out.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have no idea who will own the Cosmos, or whatever NYC2 is called. I don't think MLS is going to require the owners be NYC residents.

And if it's the Cosmos, they're naming themselves that specifically to capitalize on selling old jerseys and memorabilia.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Still not comparable situations, and no one is getting rich selling Cosmos memorabilia. You can however get rich selling 15 cent soda for $3+.

15. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agreed NY2 has been openly discussed since 2007.

We've had Wilpon/that taxi guy/F.cosmos/Borough Boys/petitions/endless chatter on niche soccer sites like this one/ and what has the reaction been in the city?

One big yawn.

The Luke Rodgers petition gathered more signatures than either of two NY2/F.cosmos petitions. I hate to break it to folks but soccer is a niche spectator sport in these parts. In the greater scheme of things our team name and ownership is a minor issue.

And I know, I know 70k fans come out to see manu/national teams but guess what the New England Patriots can fill the Tokyo Dome but that doesn't change the fact that the NFL is not relevant in Japan.

16. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is all true. If I were MLS, NYC2 would not happen until they figure out if NYRB's problems are its management or the NY entertainment market.

PS: I hope NYC2 is not the Cosmos-resurrected because whatever the fond memories some people have of the Cosmos, those memories can not be replicated.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep

17 years and not ONE marketing regime that has had any sort of patience or competence. Not ONE ownership group willing to make a local connection between market and team.

How do we know what the market can bear?

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Btw - in trying to get me to renew they swore up and down no more groupon-esque deals. Obviously not true.

19. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No reason for a 2nd NY team. Next team should be Orlando.

20. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I dont think it matters who is the owner, name of the team or in charge of marketing they will all face the same problem and that is that the majority of fans in the area view MLS as a product of low quality not worth their time. Until that perception changes it will matter little what anyone does. After so many years, with so many different owners and general managers and everyone getting the same results at this point I wonder if this market will ever do any better then what it currently does. Im skeptical of the NYC2 idea because they will face the same market perception problem we currently do. I put the attendance problems more on the soccer fans in the area who turn up their nose to MLS more then anyone else.

21. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Not True.

1) Not in New Jersey
    2) Not named after a Beverage
    3) No alter ego branding marketing gimmic scheme
    4) Not 17 years of being MLS's worst ever franchise
    5) No Chris Heck, Nick Sack, or Marc DeGranphre
    6) No broken and internally divided supporters

Just that alone gives whoever is next in market a HUGE advantage. Having a dedicated local owner that actually cares about the team and product is a massive advantage over an absentee owner for whom the soccer is simply a minor byproduct of his global brand empire.

They get to play in NY proper which would immediately sever the NJ side, they would get to capitalize on the Cosmos tradition (if that is the team) and not have to be brought down by the weight of 17 years of utter failure. It also would have a huge division between its biggest fans.

Oh no, you are sorely mistaken if you think for a moment that a new franchise in NYC would have anything close to the same problems that Red Bull has

22. The Cosmos when they played in Manhattan didnt draw at all when they offered a low quality product.

23. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmos did not play in Manhattan. They played on Randall's Island which is huge difference in terms of access. Yes, it was a bunch of no names until they got Pele followed by all the others.

24. FDNY Fitzy

FDNY Fitzy Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Because it is better to be named after ********ing astrophysics than it is after a worldwide recognizable label.

When do the Washington Black Holes get here?

25. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    True, but they still share what is imo by far the biggest barrier with the RB, which is that NY sports fans don't give a shit about the MLS no matter what team is named or where they play.