Waiver Draft today

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JasonMa, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zamphyr and Golazo repped this.
  2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    He never fit in Hackworth's system and saw his playing time dwindle to nothing by the end of the year.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Getting Dorman back should help the Revs. Just add Dempsey, Joseph, Parkhurst, and Twellman and they'd be contenders again.

Nothing posted yet waiver draft related.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I've seen so far is that SKC passed with the 14th pick.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never say never. You are talking about the team that acquired Khano Smith twice (and a third time as a youth coach). A team that used the allocation it received for the loss of Daniel Hernandez to acquire....Daniel Hernandez.

6. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Toronto passed...

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    As you're talking about TFC, I'm sure it was too heavy, the target had a bad touch and the other team scored on a well-orchestrated counter.

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No they didn't live up to the best finishing we've ever seen from Andrew Wiederman.

9. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah man, they just lazily tapped it back to the keeper, who tripped, fractured his ankle, and failed to prevent the ball from slowly rolling into their own net.

Golazo repped this.
  10. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    You know there is a rivals forum, guys...

ChrisE repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really was the quote of the year IMO.

Indeed!

12. aircanada12

aircanada12 Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Taino and Solli out on this list interest me, they could be helpful for a few teams

13. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Mariner misspoke -- he later clarified it by saying that he meant he was the best NCAA finisher he'd seen in the modern era -- but, yes. It still gets lots of play up here from the anti-Mariner crowd.

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So far I've heard the following passed:

FCD
    Colorado
    Portland
    Montreal
    TFC
    SKC
    Philly

Also Tannenwald (Philly writer) has heard RSL picked up Grossman.

Edit- Grossman to RSL confirmed via RSL's twitter account.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The transactions page on MLSSoccer.com has been updated to confirm this and has no other updates. so maybe that was the only pick?

EDIT: Confirmed by the Rapids press release, Grossman the only pick in the draft

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Grossman actually went off on the Crew organization (well, not went off I guess. But basically said there were some jerks there) and he had been working for a release from the club. Not surprised he was picked up since I'm not sure the Crew really would have let him go otherwise. There was a picture on twitter via MLS Insider, but the whole tweet has disappeared in the past few hours.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well.....guys being waived are different than not re- signing and it has to do with rights. These guys are essentially being cut. So they are different. Waivers are right now. You are correct in that re- entry eligible decisions are early December.

Remember waivers occur at any time so there is no requirement to waiver players now. They could have one a week.

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Thanks for the update. I know MLS teams who played in the MLS Cup final have had some complaints in the past about how quickly they needed to turn in their "protected lists" for expansion drafts. But that seems like nothing compared to what Houston and LA will have to deal with this year with having to basically determine their contract situations on all of their players just a few days after playing in the final.

19. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Are you sure about that? Why have a waiver draft if teams are not required to waive players by a certain date? Certainly from the start of the season to the end of the season, teams can waive players anytime (some players may still get paid if they had guaranteed contracts). But at the end of the season I think it's different.

For players who are eligible for the re-entry draft, I know that teams either have to offer them new contracts or exercise their option or else the player can choose to enter the draft. But for players not eligible for that draft, it's never been clear how the waiver process works. But it seems strange that the league would hold a draft if there weren't some rules about timing of waivers at the end of the year.

Jasonma repped this.
  20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    So they actually hold a draft five days after anyone is waived. This is not the only one just the biggest. I think the reason you see a mass exodus is contracts are coming closed and teams need to do something with players before December. It is a big event because of the number if players but it is the exact process used at anytime during the year.

For players not eligible you have three scenarios. 1) waived or out of contract. 2) team makes league approved offer player accepts to stay in MLS. 3) team makes approved offer player declines and is out of contract but team still has MLS rights.
    Waiver also implies time left on a contract as opposed to just letting a player go out of contract. That isn't required but by waiving a player you give up rights in the future.

blacksun repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So - RSL won the waiver draft? :unsure:

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why nobody picked up Tyler Ruthven...what's his cap hit? He was the only player on the list I wanted DC United to take a look at.

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest salary info (as of Oct 1, 2012) says he was making only $33,750.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    So I know little about the guy. But once a player clears waivers, provided he was not on a guaranteed contract (which at the apprentice salary he was not) he would be a free agent. A team could pick them up without losing waiver wire spot.

25. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Interesting article on Soccerbyives site today that clarifies that Hertzog was not on a Gen Adidas deal in 2013. They started signing shorter deals for the older Gen Adidas players two years ago, and Hertzog's deal only had 2 years guaranteed.