Wacky San Francisco Bay Area News

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 3, 2010.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Re: San Francisco Law Curbs McDonalds Happy Meal Toys

I remember when I was living in Scotland that there was some magazine article that got lots of attention that said men who're snipped are much more likely to get oral sex. Because fewer men are over there, I made it a point to tell girls that I was soon after meeting them in clubs.

2. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, I'm not snipped, and used to get plenty of head.
    but all that stopped once my son was born.
    I doubt being snipped would make my wife want to engage in such activities any more at this point.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Don't let her have pain meds next time while giving birth and she'll be downtown all the time.

4. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre

Since we're all sharing :), I'm snipped, but my son is not.

My wife and I struggled with the decision for a while, but at the end cooler heads prevailed and we decided to leave the boy's junk as is. If he wants to get it done later in life, for whatever reason, he can make the concious decision of going through the pain and discomfort.

I just didn't want to put him through that when he couldn't defend himself, moreso since there's no good medical reason to do so.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's just better not to deal with the smegma.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Smegma, one of the greatest words in the English language. Even before I found out what it was.

As far as waiting and doing it later, I remember when taking cultural anthropology in college learning that the number of days after birth specifically required by Jewish law (8th day, right?) is also the optimum amount of days physically for health of the baby and minimizing of pain. It was in the context of a book or chapter describing how many customs and religious laws have a basis in physical fact, always thought that was interesting.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

There is a border war brewing between the city of San Francisco and it's neighbor to the south, San Mateo County.

[​IMG]

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/12/13/border-war-brewing-over-san-francisco-toll-plan/

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors is proposing a plan to charge a toll to those who drive into San Francisco from San Mateo County. The plan would be to charge $3.00 to those driving into the city between 6:30 AM and 9:30 AM, and also $3.00 to those living the city between 3:30 PM and 6:30 PM. In effect, people from San Mateo county who drive into the city to work during business hours would pay six bucks a day.

[​IMG]

So, now San Mateo county is threatening to impose a retaliatory toll the opposite way. People driving out of the city towards San Mateo would pay $6.00, and another $6.00 to return to the city in the evening. That would be twelve bucks a day for business hours commuters who live in the city and work in the peninsula

This should get interesting. Anyway, I changed the thread title so we can use it to discuss all the general wackiness that comes from the city by the bay.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My place is up in the hills in San Mateo County, but it's a little too far from SF to serve as an artillery location. :(

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Really? I'm planning to move up there in the near future. I'm looking primarily at Millbrae or Burlingame.

One question I had when I saw this story was, are there no side streets that people can use to bypass the tolls and get in and out of the city? Because, we're talking about freeways here, it's not the same as putting a toll on a bridge.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are lots of side streets that you can take between Daly City or Brisbane and SF, but for most commuters, getting off the freeway just to avoid a toll is enough of an inconvenience that paying the $3 is easier. Plus, I expect that it would be implemented with FasTrak or something similar that they could set up even on the side streets -- putting toll booths on 101 and 280 would really suck.

I'm not terribly opposed to congestion pricing, as long as it goes both ways. My company has a lot of employees who live in SF and work down here on the Peninsula, so if SF is going to impose congestion pricing for people coming from the south, we should also be able to impose it on people coming from the north.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

John Lee Hooker used to have a good blues club in Burlingame. No idea if it survived him but I would check it out. It would certainly influence me in my selection of a home. :D

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Cool! I'll have to check it out.

Two things I really need to research about the Bay Area -other than my daughter's schools- are blues/jazz clubs and soccer pubs.

In the OC, we have this place called Steamers, in Fullerton. It's small, intimate, and attracts top musicians. Joey DeFrancesco played there not long ago, it was awesome. I need to find me a place like that in Nocal.

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hooker's club in SF is The Boom Boom Room, in the Fillmore.

Yoshi's, the legendary East Bay jazz club, also opened a club in SF. I've not been, but the next show is Del Tha Funkee Homosapien -- who I actually like, but he's certainly not jazz. However all the biggest jazz names have traditionally played Yoshi's if they're not playing bigger auditoriums.

I've basically family-man'd my way out of the night life scene so I'll let others fill in the groovy Now places. But there's tons of music going on.

And lots o' soccer pubs. The two most prominent may be Mad Dog in the Fog and the Kezar, which I believe are now owned by the same people. Although those may be a bit anglo-centric. Not sure about any Argentine pubs, but I'm sure they exist.

Steps of Rome used to show a lot of Italian football, but I've been out of the city for a while.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

That's right! The boom boom room had just opened a year or so before I moved away and I went there a few times. I forgot that JLH owned it. Great place.

Grant and Green has good Blues as well. A real dive of a place, but that's perfect for the Blues anyway. . . . and right around the corner from Steps of Rome. Just down Green is another Blues place called The Saloon. Some pretty damn good musicians move through there. Man, I miss that neighborhood. I used to live on Stockton near Bay.

I'd second Mad Dog for soccer. Great place. Right across the street is the Toronado. Small place with hundreds of good beers on tap. One of my favorites. I also lived on Baker between Grove and Fulton for a while, so I could stumble down to the lower haight whenever. Kezar is also decent.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not quite old enough to attend Kezar Stadium, but I did get to the Cow Palace a few times.

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

I go to Maggie McGarry's in North Beach to watch lunchtime games. The Mad Dog was my early Saturday morning haunt until FSC came along.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of information that I was hoping for. I'm going to have to check out all those clubs and pubs.

I googled John Lee Hooker and Burlingame and nothing came up, other than the Boom Boom Room in San Francisco.

I saw that the Cow Palace is in San Mateo County. What type of events does the Cow Palace usually host? I remember a friend telling me that The Cow Palace was the only venue in Northern California that showed the Argentina 1978 World Club final live, on a giant screen, and that it was quite the party, fully packed with South Americans and Europeans, at a time when most Americans didn't even know that the World Cup existed and there was no TV coverage at all.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mad Dog's the only one I've been to, reasonable walking distance from my work for a long lunchbreak, used to do that for Champions League games sometimes. It's a little grimy but that's part of its charm, although I haven't been there for a few years. Loved seeing random people walk in, eyes slowly adjust to the lack of light, look around and see all the crazed people with jerseys on staring at the screens, and walk back out again.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You can count me out. I'm too old for that crap.

Now that's a place with potential. Do they show Milwall's matches?

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette

It used to be a total dive but it's gone a little more up market in recent years.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Border War Over: San Francisco Surrenders to San Mateo

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16863903?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

As they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. LOL!

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is not wacky news, but it's going to be really cool. The America's Cup on the bay...

San Francisco chosen to host America's Cup
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/01/MNQ11H1QRE.DTL

[​IMG]