Wacky San Francisco Bay Area News

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 3, 2010.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: San Francisco Law Curbs McDonalds Happy Meal Toys

I guess most cops also stay away from those neighborhoods as well. I guess it's just the way it is. people pay taxes to those who have the power to protect them. in most middle class neighborhoods, that would be the local government and the police, so we pay taxes to them. in some neighborhood, it's the local strong man/bum - so you pay your taxes to him.

2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure it's cold and rainy, but it rarely gets below freezing during winter like in most of the country, so you never hear about anyone freezing to death.

And my experience when I first moved here was similar, living out of my car, dot-com boom was in full swing so I couldn't afford jack. At least it was summer, although in SF that isn't saying much....

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The funny thing is, there are plenty of people writing traffic tickets all over the place, but they are all private contractors, not cops. What the homeless used to do is ask you for a dollar and then if the traffic guy comes they'd put a coin in the machine for you. I don't see them do that anymore, maybe there was a crackdown on it.

Another funny thing is, these traffic guys are giving jaywalking tickets to anybody who crosses the street at the wrong place, they are really strict. These downtown streets are rather narrow streets, and sometimes if there are no cars coming it's tempting to cross, but I learned the hard way that if you don't cross at the proper place and when the signals tell you to cross, you get caught and you have to pay over 100 bucks. But the homeless people cross anywhere they want and they are ignored by the patrols. I guess they figure that they won't pay anyway.

4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well you'll like it in San Francisco, everybody jaywalks and the cops don't seem to give two shits.;)

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But they come in different shapes and sizes. :cool:

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

You've got to stop letting rudeness bother you :)

I remember when Burger King changed their fries recipe to some sort of baked crap. had to buy the burgers there and the fries at McD's.

I don't know what it's going to take to send fast-food people (and, for that matter, restaurants in general) the message that I'm not interested in coming to their place to eat "healthy"- I'm interested in enjoying my food, with all the now-taboo ingredients that made it taste so good generations ago. When I want to watch calories or cholesterol or fat or salt or whatever, I'll do it at home.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know how much the factory-farmed, overly-processed, heatlamp-suffering crud they sell at MickeyD's has to do with what tasted so good generations ago. I'm all for eating unhealthy tastiness if it's made with love, but that ain't happening there or any other fast food joint.

Although I'll give you the fries, they are pretty damn good.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Curl that there pinkie back up around the mug, partner- the burgers are fine (tho they are better at Burger King and Wendy's). You're either looking at stuff like their chicken or you're asking too much of fast food. Example: all of Taco Bell's fare has some combo of ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, and various types of tortillas and/or breads. There aren't too many combinations of the above ingredients that would sicken anyone but latte drinking teenagers.

Yes, and they ought to be allowed to stay that way.

9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre

Didn't they get in trouble a while ago when people found out their fries are so freaking good because they are fried on beef broth or something like that? I think I remember vegetarians sueing Mickey D's for 'false advertisement'...like they were expecting to get pure, unadulterated veggie goodness at a fast food joint...

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I think I recall something like this.

Lol... if you have a medical condition that requires a totally vegan diet, best stay home and remove all doubt. If, OTOH, you got a moral problem with eating animals... lighten up already.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems like there's an easy way for McDonald's to get around this:

Sell burger or McNuggets and drink in a cartoonish box. Fries optional.

As a separate menu item, sell apple slices with a toy.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To each his own, I think they taste like ass. And we have enough burger joints and taquerias around here that make their food fresh that I don't really have to worry about it. And like I said above, In-n-Out has the fast food burger down, but that's also a localized thing.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Do you go to the In-N-Out Burger in that strip mall on 101 at the Mill Valley/Tiburon exit? I used to work right across the highway at that little Richardson Bay office park (which by the way has a great little falafel stand).

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't if I've changed or if Burger King and Wendy's have changed but I used to think their burgers were pretty tasty but the last couple of times I've eaten them, they've been crap.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not for a long time. Weird thing about that one is that as far as I know it's the only one in existence that doesn't have a drive-thru.

On my most notable visit to that location we were eating inside and Robin Williams walked in with his kids. Very surreal.

17. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota

In-N-Out is simply awesome. I'm lucky enough to live within a few minutes drive from 2 of them. I really can't see how anyone would choose a Mcdonald's burger over them, there's just no comparison... The only problem with In-n-out is that there's always always a long line. But it's worth it.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]
    I don't always eat burgers, but when I do, I prefer In-N-Out.

1 person likes this.
  19. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ok. i'm going to be the weirdo and say i don't understand the in & out thing. the burgers are good, not fabulous and the fries suck.

there. i said it. the shakes are really good though.

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fatburger is better

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not really into their fries either, but I think their burgers are great for fast food and that price (although I'll take a fat half-pounder from one of our local places anyday). Double meat animal style and a neapolitan shake and I'm a happy man.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Now we got this place that came from the East Coast called "Five Guys". The burgers are excellent, but they are priced higher than In-N-Out. I think the latter is still a better value.

But it's true that sometimes you find a little burger place and it's better than any chain. I just found this place in San Jose called Kirk's Steakburgers that apparently has been around forever, and the burgers are better than either Five Guys or In-N-Out. I think they only got three or four locations, but their burgers are awesome. and I'm not really a burger guy.

23. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't get to Calif all that much anymore. But when I do, this is the first thing on my list.

24. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i like kidd valley in seattle. and backyard burger here down south.

25. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre

Five Guys is pretty decent, I agree.

Plus, you get all-you-can-eat peanuts in the shell while you wait for your burger to be ready.

And nothing beats all-you-can-eat peanuts in the shell.

Nothing.