Wacky San Francisco Bay Area News

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 3, 2010.

1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish, this guy's probably getting some fresh young tail from his hobby. Wonder if he removes the mask.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less wacky, More newsy:

Chez Panisse Damaged in Pre-dawn Fire

No one injured; interior fairly undamaged.
    There's going to be some severely disappointed people this afternoon when they find out -- because despite being 30+ years old, I guarantee there were people who were about to dine there for the first time this evening. Never disappoints.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    30+ and eating at chez panisse? what? did they make reservations when they were like, 10?

Crimen y Castigo and luftmensch repped this.
  5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got it backwards, she was a UCSB student who claimed rape while visiting UCSC.

I was really interested in this as a UCSC alum, used to walk those woods all the time and it was hard to imagine something like this happening. Fortunately, it didn't. She sounds like a total nutjob.

7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    4/20 Marijuana holiday at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco:

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/04/hippie_hill_golden_gate_park_420_toke_was_there.php

Some cool pictures.

Apparently the pot holiday is illegal, but the cops don't really care to disrupt it, so it's sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing, the event attracts huge crowds (as you can see in the pictures) but it doesn't "officially happen". Unfortunately, for that same reason, they don't provide portable toilets or garbage cans, so it's mostly a piss/shit/garbage fest that ends up costing the city lots of money in cleanup costs.

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That mess they left really pisses me off, way to play into the worst possible stereotypes, guys.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Bay Bridge to Finally Open; Bridge Traffic Closed for 5 Days over Labor Day Weekend
    [​IMG]

That's the new one. The one people are terrified about due to various structural concerns, construction errors, et cetera.
    But, per a Bay Bridge official interviewed on the radio yesterday: "People should have no worries at all about the new bridge -- they should be worried about the old bridge, the one their using now. That is the unsafe bridge."

Well, gee, I feel so much better now. Cheers.

But I no longer travel the Bay Bridge daily. Woo to the effin Hoo. Because it is going to get mental -- especially if there's any delays in the reopening. I don't even want to imagine what BART will be like during the closure (8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3)

And the unfortunates who will need to drive to and fro twixt SF and the East Bay during the closure will have to either slog North, over the Richmond and Golden Gate brides; or hoof it South. Good luck with that.

[​IMG]

Labor Day Weekend Traffic will naturally be lighter -- but on a normal day the number of cars using the bridge is 270,000.

Deep breaths all around.....

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They closed it before for a long weekend, like a year or more ago -- it was over a holiday weekend, I want to say Memorial Day. The world didn't end.

But I'm glad I don't have to cross any bridges or deal with any extra traffic on my commute, from south of the San Mateo bridge to south of the Dumbarton bridge. Peninsula NIMBY FTW.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming it'll be somewhat similar to the BART strike, with a heck of a lot more traffic on alternate routes. For me traffic was terrible between SF and the Richmond Bridge exit in San Rafael, fine beyond that.

Maybe if we're lucky a lot of people will take an extra long Labor Day holiday.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thankfully, if we live in the peninsula there's no good reason whatsoever to go into the east bay on Labor Day weekend. :D

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FYP.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    There have been two past closings - both over Labor Day weekends - during the construction project. I think the closings were one day shorter though. Traffic wasn't as bad as all the predictions.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes!!!

The BART strike was averted -at least until Monday- and I have to go into Oakland today. I really really didn't want to have to drive.

Let's see if they can reach a deal by Monday.

17. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You planning a trip to DC any time soon? ;)

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Daly City?

spejic and luftmensch repped this.
  19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I rode my bike on the new Bay Bridge. Very nice. It dead ends about a hundred feet short of the island, so all you can do is look right and see the new bridge or look left and see the old bridge or look down and see the part of the island with nothing interesting on it. Except the base of the bridges.

But if you like looking at bridges I recommend it. The old Bay Bridge is actually interesting - the design keeps shifting along its length. You would expect it all to be uniform, but no.

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's bizarre that they didn't make it go all the way to the island, I had no idea.

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They intend to:
    • Completion to Yerba Buena: the Oakland Span bike path will be completed to Yerba Buena island by Summer 2015. This 2-year delay is necessary because the old bridge is in the way and needs to be removed, “stick-by-stick”, to make way for the last segment of the bike path and for a new off ramp from the freeway, which the bike path will parallel. When this occurs, the bike path will be open 24/7.

And they have more big plans, including extending all the way to SF.

luftmensch repped this.
  23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    guignol repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You won't see him in the Bay Area. He can't afford to live there.

luftmensch repped this.