Vurrr-Jinya is the team to beat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 23, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    After the first two rounds, it seems like Virginia is the team to beat.
    UCLA or UNC can challenge them (with Crystal Dunn back).
    FSU can challenge them. Not sure anyone else can challenge them though.
    I think Virginia beats Virginia Tech soundly, if they had to play them again.

2. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you very much WPS! :)

Hoyas packed the box and were very devoted in D and I think Hoos could be more clinical with finishing their chances. Still, Georgetown head coach Dave Nolan said:

"If you come out and out and try to be aggressive, they can embarrass you, the plan was to try and keep the game as tight as we could and when the time was right, try to release and be braver. We just couldn't. They're very good. They just made it very difficult. As we would win the ball, they would win the back. It wasn't poor execution, they're just that good. We limited what they do well and we kept their two best players kind of in check, but they have other weapons." :rolleyes:

and there is #allin crew for ya:

[​IMG]

Mighty ACC forces awaiting in front of them. GoHoos!

3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    WPS just jinxed UVA. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

sitruc and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, I'm the Sports Illustrated cover jinx here.

5. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Hoping UNC get's another crack at UVA. It was supposed to happen in the ACC final, but both teams forgot to win in the semi's! UVA was clearly better in Chapel Hill. UNC was missing Dunn and UVA was missing Brian. I think UNC has tightened up their defense a bit since then and also has the offense clicking better. Major, major props to UVA for what they have accomplished this year. If UVA and UNC make it to the semi's, it is likely to be just like last year (epic double OT 1-0 , unc over stanford) that a semifinal game is between the 2 best teams.

6. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    And they will punish you as well. :oops:

lunatica repped this.
  7. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Steve Swanson on win on Georgetown

As a foreigner, I must emphasize the fact that most of NCAA woso coaches are classy and humble human beings. :notworthy:

lunatica repped this.
  8. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Sampson seems like a decent guy. Anson Dorrance typically spends a fair amount of time in each press conference crediting the opposing team, and often even recognizes specific players. He talked at some length about Liberty and their fans.

9. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
  10. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    If Virginia is the team to beat, who would be considered the least strong of the 4 #1 seeds? Would it be Virginia Tech? (SCU fan crosses fingers and makes wishing sounds)...

11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Very nice to see

12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Well, according to rankings they are the last of these 4 but they beat UVA so who knows?

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The most exciting game of the year so far for Virginia (and one they almost lost) was against Notre Dame, which you can go back and watch that entire match in this link (5th video in the link). Available in 720p at the bottom right of the video. Virginia vs. Duke is the 7th video in that link.

http://new.livestream.com/ACCDN/events/2356993

14. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    That was pretty epic. There is chance for repeat in QF.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It was one of the best regular season matches in college soccer history.
    The Duke vs. Virginia match was also one of the better matches this year.

lunatica repped this.
  16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Odds of winning a National Championship (at this point):

Virginia = 19% (they wouldn't have to play a UCLA team in the Elite 8, like UNC would = higher %)
    UNC = 18%
    Florida State = 16%
    (they are on the easier side of the bracket)
    UCLA = 12% (having to play UNC in Elite 8 lowers their chances, compared to if they were in diff. bracket)
    Notre Dame = 9% (Waldrum in 2010 proved he can lead his team to a title when they're not supposed to)
    Virginia Tech = 8% (they are not used to making it deep into the NCAA. can they handle it?)
    Stanford = 6% (they have the raw talent and coaching to make a run at it)
    Michigan = 3%
    Santa Clara = 3%
    (on the easier side of the bracket than Texas A&M, hence a higher % than A&M)
    Texas A&M = 2% (tough uphill battle, to beat UNC and then UCLA/Stanford, just to get to College Cup)
    Duke = 2% (having experienced players making it to the College Cup helps)
    Rest of field combined = 2%

Conclusion
    Of all the #1 seeds, Virginia Tech has the least chance to win it all.
    UNC has a tougher road ahead (Texas A&M, probable match against UCLA, then Virginia perhaps, before Final).
    But they do have Anson and Crystal Dunn, hence they have the 2nd highest odds of winning it all still.

17. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I think UVA has tough road too. But I'm eager to see how UCLA gonna play against ACC teams.

lukephan repped this.
  18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    We saw how ucla played against unc already this year.

19. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Virginia defeated Wake Forest 2-0 in a 2006 second round game at Spry Stadium. It is one of two victories for the Cavaliers against conference rivals in the NCAA Tournament as they are 2-8-0 against ACC opponents in the tournament. Virginia has been eliminated by a conference opponent the last two years (Florida State in 2011 and Duke in 2012).

No no no! Today is another day, today we change history...

[​IMG]
    #allin
    GoHoos!

20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    You right, I forgot about that. So another chance for repeat in QF if both teams are gonna win their 3rd matches.

21. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UVA has a beautiful stadium and field. We were there for the Nike Classic in August. The field looks pretty beat up now, just like UNC's field did today. I hope UVA puts in a bid for the College Cup sometime seen. It would be a great location.

22. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Congratulations to amazing Hoos!
    Another dominating performance after Friday, just this time they seemed more relaxed and fresh from the beginning.
    They kept their patience and composure through the whole 1st half even when score might be a little bit distressing - just passing the ball with every possible way, to every available teammate. I think I witnessed 3 minutes stretches in the match when they kept possession and poor subs freezing at the side line! Bad, bad Hoos! ;)
    Annie Steinlage and Danielle Colaprico were brilliant today, esp. first one had not lost single duel in the middle, outmuscling and outplaying WF midfielders, she was true field general today, Danielle was possesssed on the wings, little bunny energizer crossing, dribbling, toying with defenders. As much as I still would love to see more clinical finishing - the flow of play, understanding and creativity were amazing.
    When they're attacking they're doing it with the whole 11 - Morgan Stearns is so good with her feet she plays like a defender, distributing and initiating attacks and it looked like Morgan Stith spent more time on Deacons half than on "her" side of the field. ;)
    Damn, watching this team is pleasing to my eyes! GoHoos!

lunatica repped this.
  23. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Steve Swanson post game interview:

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I hope so too. It looks very impressive[​IMG]
    [​IMG]