VSI Tampa General thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by time4wine, Nov 15, 2011.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in minor league soccer, 2,000 or 3,000 more is significant. Orlando has done a better job at being relevant in Orland than Tampa has down in Tampa.

That said, I don't expect much from the new Tampa team. I'll be impressed if they're getting 1,000 a game.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it wasn't significant. Anyone who can do simple math and who has an idea of what the average price per actual ticket sold by a minor league soccer team can see pretty quick what importance another 2,000 at the gate per game has for that team.

I just still don't believe that in two cities with so many potential fans, either team has yet done enough to claim they've cornered any markets. Certainly not the Rowdies, that is for sure.

The VSI team can't have big goals for their first season, but it's going to be interesting to see just how well or poorly the do. I'm of the opinion that any moderate success at all could see the Rowdies attendance taking a dip as fans based in Tampa and greater Hillsborough choose a team much closer and likely cheaper to support.

But no telling what will really happen until the tickets go on sale and the games begin.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict a Dayton dutch lions type team.

4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They will have a few things going for them. Price of tickets I would think would be cheaper than the Rowdies. It is a nice little stadium to watch soccer in. The casual fan won't know or care if they are division two, three or tenth.

The big problems they face are the same ones the Rowdies have not managed to conquer. Also, the USL Pro is a competitive league just like the NASL. If they have a team that blows and pulls up the rear, then it will make it just that much harder to sell tickets.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what this means, right?

Tampa: 2013 USL Pro champions!

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uggh, I don't even want to think of the possibilities :(

7. wickedwill

wickedwill Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just left the USF soccer game and spoke to a source from VSI in attendance and I was told the following:

1. USF Corbett Stadium is one if the 2 stadiums they are looking at. Both stadiums being looked at are located in the Tampa area. This will be a temporary venue as he stated that ownership is set on building a 30 million dollar multi purpose stadium that will also be used for other events. In addition, it will contain other VSI related things such as training facilities. The new stadium will be located in Central Tampa (30 million seemed like a lot to me and I don't know what he means by Central Tampa, but thats what he said)

2. Tickets will go on sale sometime in January with the season starting in April

3. He said that this is a Tampa team and will focus mostly on Tampa fans and some fans from the immediate surrounding areas, not interested in competing with the Rowdies he called them a St Pete team.

4. Team will have cheerleaders, like they do in Orlando.

Take this info as you like as this is what I was told, the person I spoke seemed like a good source and sincere.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This VSI team may be more competent than we gave them credit for. Only time will tell.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they want to kill soccer in the area.

10. wickedwill

wickedwill Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that killing soccer in the area? Im just curious

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait, it'll be something else when soccer in the area isn't killed.

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is soccer the number #1 sport in US?

Why was their thinking of putting a USL team in Ft. Lauderdale and San Antonio a bad idea?

Let's defragment the fanbase even more...VSI should stay in Brandon.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is hockey?

And how did the market react to that?

Again...the Brandon Flames' complex: 36 miles from Al Lang. USF: 35 miles from Al Lang. That extra mile makes all the difference.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well the market did react in Brandon W-league got around 55 people, so I will tell all my friends not to go to VSI games and maybe they will go away. just like Cyclones.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There is no cure for stupid. Sorry I tried. Ignore.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think the Tampa area is a sound enough market for 2 minor league teams?

I don't. USL thought they would get the Rowdies they didn't now they are doing this because of a vendetta no other reason.

17. wickedwill

wickedwill Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Vandetta thing is getting old. USL does not own the team and VSI came to them to purchase a franchise in Tampa since they already have the soccer development school and VSI HQ here. They are not even aware of the USL Pro vs Rowdies lawsuit.

So you think VSI a private company from Europe will build a 30 million dollar facility with the intention of helping USL Pro in a vandetta against the Rowdies?

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why did they choose Tampa instead of Jacksonville?

They already play in Brandon why not stay there? It's not like the FO of USL could of told them you know what it's not a good idea the soccer market is fragile in Tampa Bay area.

Hell why not a NASL team in Tampa if they think it's a good idea?

Have you looked at the defunct teams under USL/USISL/A-league banner? I guess they haven't learned their lesson.

19. wickedwill

wickedwill Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The distance between Brandon and USF Temple Terrace area is not that much. It will be easier to get fans from USF soccer . At work ive offered Rowdies tickets to my coworkers who will not go since its in a St.Pete, but said they would go if it was local. I know for you and me that is a dumb excuse but for some it's not. Even reading these forums most have set they would attend some games. You may not go but others will.

Before you get started on USF students not being a viable source of fans, I might mention that the majority of the Orlando City supporters members are from UCF and they take other friends to the games, granted its more to drink and tailgate but it still counts an the attendance numbers.
    I respect your opinion in not going, but I will go to Rowdies, Flames, and USF games.

20. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Funny, the original Rowdies drew 30,000 a game.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it was Premier division and they had the best players in the world. How times have changed.

22. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012
    They played in Brandon for the PDL & W-League teams b/c they have a relationship with Brandon/VSI WFF & it gave them a place for the teams to play for the 2012 season. VSI is not a team located in Brandon. They are a team located in Tampa for the greater Tampa Bay Area. Before choosing Tampa they looked at a couple cities. The USL did not influence the decision in an attempt to get even with the Rowdies. I believe the USL got what they were looking for from the Rowdies in court, which was a verdict in their favor.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the favor from the verdict?

24. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Cash USL had a signed contract from the rowdies ownership and won in court