Virginia Cavalry FC thread

Discussion in 'Virginia Cavalry' started by MD-Law-, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I kinda like Loudoun County FC. It is kinda like this Classic club.
    175px-Derby_County_F.C._logo.png

Chowda and CapitalCityFC repped this.
  2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't forget Prince William County on the VA side as well as both Montgomery and Frederick counties on the Maryland side. There's a good bit of wealth in those suburbs.

They could try to tap into the regional nickname of DMV for the team name.

3. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Amazingly I was not the only one who thought this.

eclipse02 repped this.
  4. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one has pounced on Fauquier County FC? [pronounced FAW-kyer ;)]

Lived in Sterling and Fairfax, area is rolling in money that even earning near US GDP per capita is poor.

Oh, and https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/238326293643534336

5. McLean FC

McLean FC Member

Dec 15, 2005
    McLean, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Northern Virginia would be a better territorial association than Loudoun. To me and lot of other people I know in McLean, Loudoun seems like a further away place than it is in reality. In reality, from my house in McLean to where the Loudoun stadium would be is only a few minutes longer than a drive to RFK. Distance wise it's a lot further away, but without the city traffic it's pretty similar time-wise. In a lot of people's lifetimes, before the massive development, Loudoun County was considered the boonies. In 1990 it had a population of 86,129, but in 2010 it was 312,311, a 462% increase, and I'm sure its gone up a few thousand more in the last couple years. I know a few people who still have the boonies perception of Loudoun, as comically out-of-date as it is.

Even if they go with Loudoun as the territorial name I'd doubt they'd limit the marketing to Loudoun, not with the money in the area as others have mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highestincome_counties_in_the_United_States#cite_note-0
    Feel free to jump in if you're from the area and you've experienced differently, but in my experience there aren't many people that identify where they live in the area by the county it's in. If it's with someone else from the area the city/CDP name is given (e.g. McLean, Sterling, Reston, etc.), and if it's with someone outside the area usually it's "Northern Virginia" or "DC area". I really can't think of anybody I know that identifies themselves as being from Fairfax County, or Loudoun, etc. The Northern Virginia community would be better represented with a team calling itself "Northern Virginia ____".

If they do go with Loudoun County that won't stop me from checking them out once or twice, but given the clamoring the areas of NoVa bordering on The District have had for a sports team of its own, with all the DC area teams that go the suburbs going to suburban Maryland, Northern Virginia would probably resonate better.

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Virginia is different in the County/City structure anyways, so the identity issue is just strange compared to other places. Add Montgomery (13th) and Frederick counties, both of which would have areas that are within easy driving distance of the stadium, and that makes the above list even more ridiculous.

One thing though, avoid calling it NoVa anything. The community college system has an even more comically outdated reputation (Nova - Where the N stands for knowledge) than Loudoun County does. I agree on the reputation that Loudoun has. I played a HS football game at Loudoun Valley in either 92 or 93 and it felt the same as a trip to Culpepper does today.

7. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Loudon County Labradoodles

AndyMead repped this.
  8. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Seriously? Ashburn Virginia is easy driving distance from Gaitherburg or Germantown or Bethesda? When is the last time you have done that drive? Even Frederick is a stretch to make that claim - 45 minutes with no traffic. Try getting through Leesburg with no traffic for a Saturday evening game.

Kejsare repped this.
  9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I drive that area quite often. If you know your back roads/shortcuts well enough, it's not a bad drive.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a few weeks, any updates to this new potential franchise?

11. Permanent4

Permanent4 Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This is an exciting time for HoundsNation and the entire community," said someone unaware of irony but well-versed in hyperbole.

Is there any crossover between ownership groups?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see now. Same ownership for both teams.

And artificial turf. Bonus.

14. Permanent4

Permanent4 Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, they hire and pay professionals to design their web sites. That's more than we can say for some rumored NASL clubs.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonus for conversion between games. Bogus for play quality for both sports. In fact wouldn't this make it the only artificially turfed field in MiLB?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Syracuse is still turf or not.

(And Loudoun wouldn't actually be in MiLB, which is the official designation reserved for affiliated minor league baseball. They're going to be in the Atlantic League, which is an independent circuit outside MiLB, but I know you were referring to it generically.)

17. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    The Syracuse park isn't turf anymore, it was replaced a few years ago ('08 if I recall correctly).

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sad that all of affliated MiLB now has real grass but two MLB teams are still forced to play on a glorified carpet.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two? TWO? Dear Lord, do you not remember when half of the Major League teams were on turf? I don't know quite what the option would be in St. Pete, and Toronto is multipurpose.

Also, it's not completely true about affiliated MiLB (redundant). PK Park in Eugene is turf and Coveleski Stadium in South Bend is turf. Ottawa's ballpark will be getting turf when it gets a team.

The reasons are pretty simple: the turf era is almost over for baseball, and most teams (at all levels) are playing in recently-built and single-tenant facilities. No need for turf.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if the Rays and Jays have their way we'll be down to 0 before long. The Rays are working on yet another iteration of their new ballpark and the Jays are still considering ending the Skydome's multipurpose days by kicking the Argos out and locking the stands permanently in the baseball configuration.

As for MiLB I was unaware of Eugene (which frankly is sad since I'm a Padres fan but I've also never been there). I thought we'd lost the last turf stadium in affiliated ball with PGE Park. Guess I was wrong, unfortunately.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear it will be quite a while before the Rays are playing elsewhere. Unfortunately.

Hadn't heard that. Would like to read more about that.

Then you still have the whole fact it's in Toronto thing. Here, our retractable roof stadium can have grass, but they can keep the roof open quite a bit more here than in Toronto.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll see if I can dig up the Toronto article. It was from a few months ago. And while their roof is almost as bad as Chase Field's when it comes to suitability for growing grass, they feel they can do it with the heat lamps like the Euro soccer stadiums do at similar latitudes.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chase Field's roof is not bad for growing grass, as it turns out. That was my point. Toronto is hampered by far less sunlight and far more cold weather than we have here.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read from the groundskeepers, Chase is bad in the corners due to the high "sides" of the stadium. But overall you're right it's not bad, particularly for the first stadium designed to have real grass indoors part time.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Chase Field out my window. You forget that.