The Bulgarian Riviera should suffice: Vilian Bijev at Cherno More Varna

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Jul 16, 2011.

1. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Villyan Bijev at Liverpool FC?

Has anyone noticed who his agent is?

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Steve Kelly who is/was Subotic's agent

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

and Spector's

4. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

Its all an odds play. The more kids we have in these situations....
    one or two will break through.

When it is a function of counting on any one kid- like Bijev- the odds heavily favor they will never make it as a starter in the Prem. If we have 10 of these kids, then odds increase that someone will.

But all the verbage, clippings, quotes etc are meaningless at this point.

Frankie Simek is the lesson here. (or Danny K. or Kenny Cooper). So much can happen from 18 to starting in Prem.

Good luck to the kid. Would be great if we are '1 for 1'

5. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010

In my opinion, Jen Change is a know-it-all snob posing as some sort of US soccer expert. I think his arrogant pronouncements about the talent levels of 18-year-old kids ought to be taken with a grain of salt. He certainly isn't a journalist....in the end he's a glorified fan who's managed to wiggle his way into a pretty high-up position in the US soccer media world. I've had enough of the guy and his non-stop Liverpool ramblings.....and I'm a big Liverpool fan.

I guess what I'm saying is that anyone who tells you they know much about Villyan Bijev is stretching the truth. We'll just have to wait and see.

6. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

I think you are misinterpreting this.

I think this is Liverpool saying to him "if you are not in the 1st team
    at Genk sometime during the season, then you are not going
    to be considered a top prospect at Liverpool anymore, and that means (barring miracle) you are going to be playing at another club than Liverpool as a full professional".

This is the expectation they have for all their kids. Welcome to the big leagues Vilyan, there are now massive expectations from now on. However, so few make it (to 1st team, playing and (gasp) regular starter)- so here's your first test, kid.

It is the equivelent of when Manchester United said to a Jonathan Spector or Kenny Cooper (after they had been there a couple years).
    'look, you can stay with our team- we will resign you to the same deal you have been on (translated: you are no longer a prospect for Man U, barring a miracle, so best to look elsewhere). It is Man U's classy way of saving face for you, and of course, all ex-prospects say 'they offered me a deal, but I want to go elsewhere for regular playing time'.

Insiders clubs know what stuff like this really means

Frankball repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

More like 5, it seems.

Former Clovis North striker Villyan Bijev, a Bee All-Star, turned down a slot on the Orange County Blue Star U-18 team to visit relatives in Bulgaria.

Bijev has dual citizenship in the U.S. and Bulgaria.

"I haven't seen them since we came here 13 years ago," said the 18-year-old, who recently returned from a trip to Portugal with the U.S. Soccer U-18 national team.
    http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/06/16/2430506/local-soccer-standouts-eye-europe.html#ixzz1PXNJO2QB

8. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

we interpret their comments to mean exactly what they say, while you come up with a 3 paragraph "interpretation" of one sentence and we're the one's misinterpreting?:rolleyes:

Why would they sign him to a 5 year deal if they were going to plan on giving up on him after the first year?
    They said they would be surprised if he didn't work himself into the first team, that's it.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you are both more or less right. It's silly to think that Liverpool is giving him a one-year ultimatum to do well at Genk or be shown the door. Bijev is on loan; if he turns out to be really good immediately, he'll play. If he's on more or less equal footing with a Genk prospect, which one will they use? They are more invested in the development of the latter. If Bijev doesn't play much this season, it would be a mistake to read too much into it.

However, it's also true that the reality at big clubs is that youth players either move up or move out. If you aren't progressing, you're probably never going to make the grade and you are just taking up a spot that could go to somebody who has become more promising. But that's just part of the deal for all prospects; it doesn't just apply to Bijev.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Karbassiyoon had a career-ending injury, so I'm not sure how he applies. By a similar token, Simek had a long term injury while several EPL teams were fighting to sign him from Wednesday.

And to be totally fair, Cooper had the misfortune of being in line behind Rooney, Ruud, Saha and Solsjkaer. Giuseppe Rossi could hardly get a game during that same time.

It is rarely so simple as "well, the player just failed" - seems like you'd know all this.

11. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

I know these were all different, and in some cases, unfortunate circumstances.

But it just goes to show how difficult it is for any one 18 year old prospect to make it. The odds are heavily against you, given everything that can occur (including just not being good enough).

That's why I can't get super-excited about a kid signing for Liverpool Academy. Odds are better than baby sea turtles, but still very, very tough.

Another example: We were all excited when Anton Peterlin got signed by Everton 'A' team on a 1 year deal. He's now been trying to stick with a
    League One side.

Now, if he were making the bench for the 18 man squad during a Premiership game :)

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

weren't there quite a few cautioning that it was just another "euro passport" signing?

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair point. The counterpoint is people in the US did not realize what they had on their hands in Bijev.

We will see.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Okay... but that's a one-year deal. Every situation has its own variables, there's no mold to this stuff and it's not just for Americans. Plenty of players in other countries don't make it one place or bloom late or didn;t have a good tactical fit and they rock somewhere else. Hell, Ajax has former "washouts" making names for themselves all over the place. Breaking into a top Prem side is hard for everyone, especially teenagers.

Like I said, Rossi could barely get a game in England and did very little when he did and moved on. One would be hard pressed to tab him a failure now.

15. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

I get your point, but Rossi was a top tier prospect- somewhat like Macheda was treated last year. Man U made some good money off the Rossi sale as well.

I guess in order of preferance, Sir Alx has:

1) Players who go straight into side from systems
    2) Player who *might* be good enough, but get loaned out to other EPL sides (or in Rossi's case, top league abroad) for evaluation and to
    see if they are better than what Man U currently has or needs.
    3) Players who in all likelihood aren't good enough, and usually get loaned out to Championship and below
    4) Players who make the reserves and get a league cup game or 2
    5) Players who are in the U-18 or U-20 squad at Man U. (or whatever they are called there)

Rossi worked his way up from 5 to 4 to 2 and was very close to 1....
    Spector was the same. If you look at all the players at (5) that is still
    only 5%-10% at most, that ever make it to (1), and those who actually ever start consistently even less.

Given you will hardly ever find a Liverpool or Man U ever BUY a player and PLAY them directly from a Belgian league (usually not good enough
    quality to that particular league) it makes sense to me that that player/prospect Bijev would literally have to become a rising star in Belgium to even be considered to start for L'pool. As it were, they are looking to him to progress ver, very rapidly there. Otherwise, he will have no chance to play for L'pool.

Its true that a few of these prospects ALSO wind up doing well for other clubs in the Prem or a top league, but that is different from starring for your own club or a big 4 club. Big difference.

Frankball repped this.
  16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All I will say is Liverpool wouldn't have signed him if they didn't see SOMETHING in him to warrant that. *Conspiracy theory with an American owner they want a few Yanks in the team*

Let the chips fall where they may. He will get top tier training and because he was on Liverpool's books that will open doors for him if he does not make it there.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

don't think he implied it was because they weren't good, just that it's hard for 18 yo to actually make it. No matter what the hype is surrounding you, it's no guarantee of success. Hell Kirovski was about the most highly regarded player on the Man U youth team that provided all of the Red Devil's stars over the past 2 decades. One of the youth coaches said something along the lines that he'd bet anything that Kirovski would be a star, and even SAF mentioned him in his memoirs. Unfortunately he couldn't get a WP when he became an adult and basically that was that.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Anyone know how soon Bijev arrives at Genk?

They have to be well into pre-season by now.

20. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And then some. They have a Champions League qualifier in a few hours.

21. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

Contract? Maybe the kid is just doing his math homework.

22. fcobbina

fcobbina Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course. Didn't we all complete our high school algebra homework at our favorite football club's headquarters?

Why I remember the time I was struggling with trigonometric equations in Turin, but Luca Toni was there to help me out with Pythagoras' Theorem.

23. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

Who is to say that isn't just a Wallbanger behind him?

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

How do we know he's not putting the finishing touches on Obama's fake birth certificate!?!!?

Or Osama's fake death certificate!?!?

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's writing the script for the fake moon landing.

Not current enough?