Viduka at Newcastle [R]

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by AussieLionHearts, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Re: Viduka at Newcastle (formerly Middlesbrough) [R]

here is a really interesting video interview of Viduka as he walks out of the Olympic Park Sports Medicine centre...amazingly candid...I am surprised that the rest of the media havent picked this up yet...
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/03/2381827.htm?section=sport
    (you have to click on the video section)

credit to the ABC journo, Steve Pearce, who has gone to some effort rather than just wait for a lazy press conference...and it appears that this was not an interview set up be Viduka or his team

2. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

^^
    This is huge news. Shows he still has the fire in his belly to play for the Green and Gold[​IMG] I'm stoked!!

Ace you're a random fact finding machine!!:D:D

3. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007

Lazy SBS...the supposed 'football channel' cant even get its own story on Viduka...

Viduka open to Socceroos return

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/viduka-open-to-socceroos-return-141971/

5 October 2008 | 17:31 - SBS

Injured Australian striker Mark Viduka has revealed that he still has hopes to play for his country but is currently focussed on getting fit and back on the pitch.

The frustrated former Socceroos captain is back in Melbourne to seek treatement for an ongoing Achilles problem that has taken much longer to heal than he would like.

The 32-year-old told the ABC that he had hoped to be back in action for Newcastle at the start of the English Premier League season.

"I just want to get playing again, I want to be playing and contributing to my club and my team-mates," he said.

"I want to get my injury right and get back in a black and white shirt, and hopefully an Aussie shirt after that."

Viduka confirmed that he would travel to Brisbane to meet up with the Australian national team and spend some time with the boys ahead of the October 15 World Cup qualifier against Qatar.

Asked if he still harboured hopes to play for the Socceroos at South Africa 2010, the former Melbourne Knights, Celtic and Middlesbrough front-man replied: "I'd love to be involved but at this stage I just want to get my injury right. I'm not looking that far into the future.

4. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
  5. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Lol, Dukes was trying to keep a low profile.

6. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

he seems like a pretty media shy guy

7. oztrainspotter

oztrainspotter New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

anyone got the latest goss on dukes? did he end up having that achilles op in mebourne? 6 months if so.

8. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Australian Sports Medicine > English Sports Medicine

9. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

Viduka came of the bench to play a late role in Newcastles draw on the weekend.
    All reports i have heard was that he looked good for a player that hasn't played for 6 months. Still very much lacking match fitness obviously but he had 1 shot cleared off the line. Hope it continues all injury free.

10. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I can't wait to hear the commentators.... Vidukaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

Good luck to the big fella.

11. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Great to see Viduka back in action. I hope he plays for Australia again.

12. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I reckon we might be able to lose the (formerly Middlesbrough) bit out of the title now as well?

13. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Great to hear he's back!! Would love to see him in the G&G again!!

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...legation-battle/2009/04/17/1239475040419.html

15. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can anyone see the guy getting back into form by the time Toon are relegated?

16. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd hate to think it, let alone type it, but to me Viduka's really on his last legs. I think another season or so and he'll be looking to come back to the VPL (or if he wishes so, an A-League club - we'd readily assume the Victory). It's not that he doesn't possess the mind to be a force, but his body has been set back frequently in the last couple of years. I really do wish him all the best and hope the physical can match the mental but I really do see the end coming.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25473682-5001023,00.html

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...home-says-moore/2009/05/25/1243103487818.html

19. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Hmm. He's still good for another year or two at mid-seven digits in Europe and everyone down here either has a marquee or isn't in a position to front the sort of wages he'd be looking for. I don't reckon we'll see him until 10-11 if at all.

20. epic_awesomeness

epic_awesomeness New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    The biggest thing for dukes is to find another club in the premiership or in La Liga or Serie A, so if he does decide to play in the world cup he's playing at the highest level possible..

21. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    I think the only sort of club willing to pick him up now would be one of the promoted epl clubs.

22. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think there's a snowball's chance of Dukes filling in a gap in the Serie A or La Liga. The EPL is more suited to his style of setup and play, the others would just be far too fast.

23. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I can see a promotion club or somewhere like Hull offering him a pay as you play contract.

24. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
  25. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    From what iv'e seen the premier league is faster paced than Serie A. Seems to be a tendancy in england to get things done as quickly as possible no matter how ugly whilst Serie A is more about controlling possession and trying to open up tight defenses.