Viduka at Newcastle [R]

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by AussieLionHearts, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Viduka at Middlesbrough [R]

I can't wait to see him find the back of the net for the Magpies. I know it's only been 2 games, but i'm getting anxious. lol

2. Akumastarr

Akumastarr New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Viduka at Newcastle (formerly Middlesbrough) [R]

Personally, I don't mind him missing out on these friendlies as they probably should be used to keep our youngsters and other players competitive.

I would however love it if he stuck around for the qualifiers maybe? I know 2010 probably won't happen for Dukes but I'd love it if he stuck around with a massively reduced international schedule to play in the important games.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

He's on the board.....

Middlesbrough's Julio Arca stole the spotlight from Mark Viduka as he denied the Newcastle striker a winning return in today's 2-2 draw at the Riverside Stadium.

Viduka looked to have won it for Newcastle with a late goal on his first visit to Middlesbrough since his off-season move to their local rivals.

Viduka was predictably booed by the home fans, but it was his astute pass which created a chance in the opening minutes that Obafemi Martins dragged wide.

Allardyce sent on Michael Owen for Martins late in the second half and the goal he wanted arrived in the 77th minute. Inevitably it was Viduka who broke Middlesbrough's resistance.

Geremi's chip found Viduka and he produced the perfect example of centre forward play. After controlling the ball on his thigh, he showed tremendous strength to hold off Woodgate, then took another touch to set up a low strike that flashed past Schwarzer.

4. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I saw the highlights this morning, it was a brilliant goal by Dukes. I watched the first half, he seemed a bit quiet besides that nice pass to Martins. I fell asleep just after halftime, cranky now i didn't stay awake for it!!

5. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
  6. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Big Dukes got a brace against West Ham in their 3-1 win at St. James Park. Excellent work by the big fella, here's to plenty more as well. :)

7. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

His first v the Hammers was a ********ing cracking header.

Dukes is on fire!:D

8. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Yeah it rocketed into the back of the net alright, Green had no chance of stopping it.

9. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Big Dukes goals for Newcastle?

Anyone got any video of his goals for Newcastle. Friggen Youtube keep removing the vids. Appreciate heaps if anyone can help me out! Cheers!!!

10. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Big Dukes goals for Newcastle?

Try www.footytube.com it has the highlights from the weekend's matches.

11. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

I wonder in his EPL playing history, what seasons are considered some of his best starts to a season? Because Dukes, especially the Dukes of recent times, has generally been considered a 'slow starter.' Often he won't get even a handful of goals for months, only to explode till the middle to latter part of a season, in those seasons where he's scored 20+ goals.

To clarify what I mean by 'good start' I mean more in relative terms. Say, what was his best start to a season? Has he had say 5 goals in his first 10 games or even better than that?

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/english-premier-league/keegan-still-keen-on-viduka-108178/

13. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Pffft. Whatever Keegan, back to obscurity for you.

14. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

It wouldn't really make a difference. Viduka thrives on Quality service from the flanks and there is no real width in Newcastles squad. Sad really

15. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Hope he goes to Pompey.

16. krlkennedy

krlkennedy New Member

Mar 16, 2008

I heard he's returning to his roots and is going to line-up for Melbourne Victory next season.

17. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

I hope Dukes leaves the EPL. He's had his time there, achieved most of what he can there. He's too old and past his peak to gain a move to a top EPL club and have a chance to win the EPL.

But it would be neat if he could slip into a squad in Spain or Serie A. Teams like Betis, Deportivo and Zaragoza in Spain and Genoa, Torino and Udinese etc.. in Serie A. It's even still possible an ECL club like Roma could be interested, in having him in their rotation, though how much game time he'd get, is an issue.

If Dukes can finish up his European career, by playing regular first team in one of the Top 3 leagues and having another 15-20 goal season, then I'd consider that a pretty decent finish for him :) . Getting a last try at UEFA Cup football or something may also be nice.

18. oztrainspotter

oztrainspotter New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    adelaide

Dukes back on scoresheet!!

19. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Nice finish as well!! He's the best striker Newcastle have got, they just need to play him.

20. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Viduka scored again in Newcastle's 3-0 win over Reading.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...occeroos-future/2008/04/09/1207420487104.html

22. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

That opening paragraph:

**...........would consider returning for another World Cup tilt, providing Verbeek was willing to work in with his demanding club schedule.**

is one of the main reasons we don't need him. Club before country should rule you out automatically.

Besides, he has never gone that well playing for Aust anyway. Something like 10 goals in 40+ games is poor. Let him go and bring on the youth of Kennedy, Djite maybe McDonald in a couple of years.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Pim wins............ ;)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23520316-5001023,00.html

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Dukes Goooooone............. ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/viduka-out-for-three-to-six-months/2008/05/08/1210131170687.html

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/viduka-wants-toon-extension-123103/