Videos for teaching technique and ball skills to young kids?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Scotty, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I have a 6-year-old nephew (turns 7 in October) who loves soccer and is showing he has quite a knack for it. In fact, he was scoring loads of goals in every game, but in part that's also because he's bigger for his age and was blowing past the other kids at will. So now he's been moved up an age group.

At any rate, I also want to make sure he develops sound technique and skills so I'm looking for some online videos that could teach him simple exercises to become really comfortable with the ball.

Not sure if any of you read the Slate article about the American coach who revolutionized Japanese youth soccer. Anyway, here below you can see an example of some of the exercises he was teaching kids. I'm looking for something along those lines (if it's in English then all the better). Any suggestions, links, etc. would be much appreciated.

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the Slate article:
    That year, Paul Mariner, the former head coach of Toronto FC, introduced Byer to a technique-based approach to youth development called the “Coerver Method.” It changed the way Byer viewed coaching.

Created by Wiel Coerver, a Dutch coach, the method is a quasi-academic system based on specific skill acquisition. Rather than putting kids on a field and having them chase the ball around—which is how most young kids practice across the United States—it teaches close ball control and situational, one-on-one moves: stopovers, feints, various ways to manipulate the ball with the sole of the foot. Tactics and passing come later, once the kids master ball control.

Google Coerver and they have DVDs out there to get you rolling.

rca2 and Scotty repped this.
  3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You only asked about developing skills and technique, and elessar78's response is great. I want to emphasize that there are two other important training goals at his age. The most important is instilling a love to play. Your nephew already has that. It needs to be encouraged. The other is athletic development (movement skills). Physical activity (playing games including pickup soccer, tag, bike riding, martial arts, etc.) that improves his movement skills--running, jumping, climbing, turning, stopping, starting, throwing, kicking and so on--will make him a better athlete and a better soccer player. So playing multiple sports does not hinder development in younger athletes.

Scotty repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, funny enough Kristine Lilly is a Coerver partner as well. :) our guys met her at that NSCAA convention.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5 elessar78, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Double post