Videos for teaching technique and ball skills to young kids?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Scotty, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I have a 6-year-old nephew (turns 7 in October) who loves soccer and is showing he has quite a knack for it. In fact, he was scoring loads of goals in every game, but in part that's also because he's bigger for his age and was blowing past the other kids at will. So now he's been moved up an age group.

At any rate, I also want to make sure he develops sound technique and skills so I'm looking for some online videos that could teach him simple exercises to become really comfortable with the ball.

Not sure if any of you read the Slate article about the American coach who revolutionized Japanese youth soccer. Anyway, here below you can see an example of some of the exercises he was teaching kids. I'm looking for something along those lines (if it's in English then all the better). Any suggestions, links, etc. would be much appreciated.

2. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hers something that might work...and it is work....Find some great players executing desired moves on videos of games downloaded, then with a movie editor program splice out the parts worth showing, and then make slow motion versions. For me to learn it would have to be really slow. Repeating a scene over and over at different speeds might be worthwhile. What about tweeking the final speed to be 1.15 times as fast :)

3. us#1by2006

us#1by2006 Member

Jun 21, 2002
    One my son's old coaches who was perhaps the best technical skills trainer I have come across made about 50 videos and put them on Youtube.

You can find his Youtube channel here. He has videos for both beginning and advanced players.

www.youtube.com/user/zenmasterhawk/videos

If I were you, this is exactly what I would be looking for.....

Scotty repped this.
  4. jspencer206@yahoo. com

Jul 19, 2014
    There is a very good video I found a couple years ago that was done by beckham. If you can find it somewhere its excellent.

5. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Beckhams dad threw aball at him every day. Use two balls, when ones being returned throw other ball

6. Andy Braxton

Andy Braxton New Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hey @Scotty

I used to be the worst player on my youth soccer team around the age of 5.

I went to a youth soccer trainer name Tom Turnball out of South Plainfield New Jersey.

The next season i scored more goals then the whole team combined.

At age i went on to play NJ Select North, 2013 NJ ODP North yada yada yada.

Anway, I've put together some dribbling sequences that helped me excel when i was your nephew's age.

The first one is a series Tom called outside outside inside outside.

The 2nd is inside inside outside inside.

These two alone will have your nephew outdribbling anyone on the field.

Focus on smooth transitions from the right foot to the left foot and back.

Make sure your nephew's head is up with the ball in the lower part of the his vision.

Also make sure he over exaggerates each touch from side to side.

This exercise isn't meant to but done at speed, rather with proper form.

Have him "feel" the ball underneath his foot.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Andy

Scotty repped this.