Vergara: Chivas need their own home, in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 14, 2012.

1. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, Lady of Troy. Tomato. Tomatoe.

2. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So having two of the league's last four (five, if you count this year) MVPs, along with two separate franchises in the MLS Cup during that same time frame, qualifies HSG as a sucky ownership group? What, exactly, has the HSG done to directly alienate their fans, and what makes them "amongst the worst in MLS" off the field?

By comparison, what makes Seattle's ownership group so much more successful? How much of that success is due to the astronomical (by MLS standards) attendance the club is drawing? If you were to place Seattle's owners in Columbus and put HSG in Seattle, what would happen?

Jasonma repped this.
  3. Nochum

Nochum Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This went from a thread about a team's new direction to one poster's hatred. Maybe it should be locked.

El Naranja, sitruc and AndyMead repped this.
  4. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be better if it indicated that the quotes exist while not showing the text. A lot of posts in this thread make no sense with ole on your ignore list.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The crazy thing was it all started out relatively reasonably, but then some decided to latch on to irrelevant things in the posts and it snowballed from there.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so this thread's gotten to six pages and none of you mentioned Vergara squaring up to a Chivas fan? :D

sitruc repped this.
  7. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I fail to see how that is relevant to this thread.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are Manchester United a fake spinoff of Salford City Reds just because they go by "the red devils?"

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to this clear statement?

10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems particularly important for a niche league which is up against stiff competition for attention even in its own sport that the brand is strong across the board, which goes to the point Ismitje made several pages ago about the newsiness here is not just in what Vergara said, but how forcefully supported it was by the league.

11. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    One word for them. Club Deportivo Los Angeles = CDLA.
    Let's get serious.

12. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey....Joe Biden....is that really you?

looknohands repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's an engineer, didn't you hear?

14. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when I was on this site more regularly, I had hit "ignore" of Ole after one of his ridiculous thread-stealing rants. I can't even remember what it was. That was under the old big soccer. Now apparently it's time to do it under the new system again. I think we all get that Ole doesn't like the Chivas USA idea. Been said more than enough times in six pages.
    Can someone put this thread back on track about potential stadium sites? Garber mentioned more than one. What are the others beyond the Sports Arena/USC idea?

15. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is my hope and the hope of 97% of us on Big Soccer. Antonio Cueand Co. had a broader plan that included a new badge and the city of Los Angeles seal on our kits for 2013.
    With Vergara, he might just consider adding the city name. He hinted at it at the press conference.
    Yes, CDLA would make complete sense.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since there was a side discussion about Vergara wanting to maintain Chivas USA's inferiority to its sister club, it may be relevant to point out that he's not all that appreciated in Guadalajara either atm.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The other thing it does, which I don't think the old BS did, is that threads started by the ignoree disappear. So if you have ole on ignore, you can't see the player movement threads.

18. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Spanish is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure "Club Deportivo Los Angeles" counts as four words, not one.

LeftyLeftyOutside, billf, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So will Vergara build it or does he want someone else to build it?

xbhaskarx and tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  20. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I've got two words for ya, Jake. Prom queen...material."
    Rep to those that get the reference.

jp917 repped this.
  21. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob was only there for one year. His starting lineup included Claudio Suarez, Panchito Mendoza, Juan Pablo Garcia and Paco Palencia...and half-Mexican Jon Bornstein.

I think he also had hopes for Ramon Ramirez.

From what I gathered at the time, CUSA fans liked having players like Ante Razov, Jesse Marsch.

The point is, Bob did not want to make it a non-Mexican, non-Latino team (if he stayed a second season, he'd have had Amado Guevara), but the owners also wanted to compete.

SYoshonis repped this.
  22. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most important question here. Vergara can pontificate all he wants about how he made a mistake, about how he will fill the roster with guys from Chivas Guad etc. In the end it is all hot air unless he is willing to put his money where his mouth is. In the current economic state California is in no one will be willing to build that stadium for him and with Vergara still owing millions due to the new Chivas Guad stadium, I'm not sure how serious he will be about building a new stadium for Chivas USA if everywhere he goes he gets the same response--"yes but only if you build it with your own money."

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides, if they find U18 talent, that'd be the only time they could easily 'ship' them to Chivas Guad. Once they hit 18 and sign a contract, CUSA can't ship those talented kids anywhere as they don't own the contracts. MLS does. I really don't see how they could, easily, use CUSA as a feeder team.

redinthemorning, tab5g and SYoshonis repped this.
  24. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    it is easy. Chivas USA's academy has kids up to the age of 18. all of those kids are not under contracts of any kind, professional or amateur/youth contracts. anybody who is really good in that academy once they turn 17/18 can be signed directly into Chivas Guad bypassing MLS and Chivas USA altogether. it is what is happening now from many other youth clubs in SoCal to LigaMX teams.

25. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you admit that the idea that the Chivas USA MLS team is a feeder team to Guadalajara is 100% wrong, then?

BTW, still waiting for anything to back up your assertion of a "clear statement" that "they want to use Chivas USA as a foothold in LA to discover and develop talent for the mothership and secondarily Chivas USA."