Vergara: Chivas need their own home, in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 14, 2012.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that about half of MLS ownership groups have interest in other sports right?

redinthemorning, Jasonma and Sounder repped this.
  2. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, maybe I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    Did you read the top of my post? No. No. No.
    You really are bent out of shape. Im the Chivas USA fan here, not you.

You should really come on our show. En serio.

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yes. and aside from AEG they are mostly incompetent and their lack of focus on MLS shows. whereas most of teams who have ownership that is solely focused, sports wise, on MLS are quite successful.

now we'll never get rid of all of those owners who's MLS teams are sideline or second thoughts to NFL or MLB or whatever teams ... that ship has sailed.

but it is a whole different kettle of fish to have an owner who's other primary sports interest, which makes the MLS team they own nearly irrelevant, is not only in the same sport but in a league that is in direct competition with MLS.

think of it as a hierarchy of distates:

3. dislike MLS teams being owned by owners who have a primary sport(s) interest in teams outside of MLS soccer ... ie NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA

2. dislike MLS teams being owned by owners who have a primary sport(s) interest in teams that play soccer in other leagues not in direct competition with MLS (EPL, La Liga, Serie A)

1. dislike MLS teams being owned by owners who have a primary sport(s) interest in teams that play soccer in other leagues DIRECTLY competing with MLS (LigaMX)

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm kinda thinking that people who have "hierarchies of distastes" have issues. :)

j66j66, SYoshonis, Jasonma and 3 others repped this.
  5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    okay. so if you are uncomfortable with being a fan of a team that is inherently a 2nd class citizen and a glorified feeder team to some other team why on earth be a fan of Chivas USA? if you are a fan of MLS as you say, and live in LA area i assume, why not be a fan of the LA Galaxy who's ownership has been pretty much solely responsible for the creation and survival of MLS?

maybe you are a fan first and foremost of Chivas d Guad? if so then being a fan of Chivas USA makes some sense, if you live in LA then at least you get to have a local Chivas-lite experience.

but outside of that how any MLS fan in LA would want to cheer for a team owned by a rival league/team's owner instead of a team owned by the most important ownership in MLS history is beyond me.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eventually you're going to convince yourself.

7. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Btw its club deportivo guadalara. Chivas is just a nickname, just like el rebaño sagrado and just like el chiverio. Chivas is what the red devils are to manchester united. Do you realize how many soccer teams have red devils as a nickname?

redinthemorning repped this.
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says a guy who's a fan of that plucky little club from Manchester, the one that is all about goodwill and doing what's right. The people's team.

SYoshonis repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC United of Manchester?

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Normally when people quote a post, they respond to points.

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i despise with every fibre of my being what has happened to my club. i have been a fan of Man Utd for over 20 years, long before the Glazer infection plagued us. and perhaps it is that Glazer, leveraged theft of Man Utd, the saddling with debt, the loans that never get repaid and the management fees that have led me to be anti-foreign ulterior motive club ownership.

clubs should be owned by local owners who care about the team as a cultural and local cornerstone MORE than they care about it as a cash till not that they can't also run it as a reasonably stable business as well) ... and clubs should also be partially owned by the fans .. to some greater or lesser extent thru fan trusts etc (which to my mind makes Germany the perfect league).

so it is advisable to know a little about a person and their affiliations with a team before trying to use it in an argument.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet you continue to support the club? Maybe, then, you can see how a fan might continue to support Chivas USA despite all of the shortcomings. As for better teams in a market where you live and why anyone would be "okay" rooting for one over the other, there are all sorts of reasons why someone would do so. People in Manchester rooted for City for decades before they became a quality side, no? And some still cheer for Wigan, and others Maine Road FC and others Abbey Hey and others Droylsden, even though they are in and around Manchester.

Allez RSL, profiled and Jasonma repped this.
  13. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am pointing out how wrong he has the name of Guadalajara.

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

A. Man Utd aren't owned by Berlusconi or Real Madrid ... so it isn't really the same thing.

B. Chivas USA has existed for a blip ... barely 6 years. and from the beginning they were owned by an owner of a team in a rival league. if Man Utd had been owned by somebody as scum sucking as the Glazers in 1990 when i became a fan i would not have become a fan.

people who are fans of Chivas USA had to ignore or accept from the very beginning that their team was nothing more than a glorified minor league affiliate of Chivas d Guad ... i can't imagine what would lead somebody to choose that when there was already an MLS team in the market, one that had been there from the beginning ... for them to be a fan of if they were really wanting a local MLS experience. maybe LAG were horrible and didn't do proper outreach to diverse ethnic communities? or maybe their tickets are too expensive and Chivas USA fans are just Chivas USA fans because the tickets are dirt cheap?

15. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Or maybe they are just Chivas USA fans

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    You're thinking about this way too much. I'm pretty sure many fans of sports teams in the US and other countries are fans of their teams for a reason best described as, just cuz.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I am a Real Salt Lake fan. No logical reason. I live in the State of Washington. There's a team here called the Seattle Sounders you may have heard of - been around longer that RSL. Fandom is illogical at its core, really, even if you choose to give your heart to the hometown team. Belittling or making fun of or pointing out the illogicality of someone rooting for Chivas USA makes as little sense to me as doing the same thing for any of us rooting for a team at all.

In baseball, I follow the Spokane Indians. Their whole reason for existence is to provide players to other clubs further up the baseball food chain. I don't really care (and I don't think - and there's no evidence to show it ever happened - that Chivas USA is there to supply CdG). Many of us follow collegiate athletics. The players are not developed to stay with the programs we follow. They are developed 100% to move on. Always. It may be illogical, but we're fans.

scott47a and RafaLarios repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, how else would Wazzu have fans? ;)

Seriously though, if fandom weren't illogical everyone would root for 4-5 teams and the rest would cease to exist.

redinthemorning repped this.
  19. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and you'd be fine if RSL were owned by the same people who owned Santos Laguna? and was called Santos Laguna Salt Lake? and was a permanent second class little sister to SL? and if SL was only willing to send scrub players they didn't want anymore to SLSL but was willing to use SLSL to "mine" the rich youth talent in the Salt Lake area and to take any truly great prospects for the mother ship Santos Laguna (imagine here that the SL talent pool is as rich as the LA/So Cal talent pool? and all of this was the case from the very beginning of SLSL and not something that happened AFTER you had become an invested fan?

and there is nothing wrong with being a fan of a minor league or college team ... they have a function and purpose and if they are near you and you are a fan that is excellent .... being a fan of a team IN A MAJOR LEAGUE that has been relegated to the role of minor league affiliate is not at all the same thing.

20. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, at the very least put Los Angeles on the name (logo).​
    [​IMG]
    Let us know if Jorge is open to the removal (partial or complete) derived from el Escudo de Armas de Guadalajara on the current Chivas USA logo.
    Let us know if he's open to some exotic designs.

We would prefer to incorporate Los Angeles history into the new Chivas de Los Angeles logo.
    Maybe incorporating certain aspects of our County & City Seals (Emblems)​
    Bigsoccer member jathan also has some great ideas. He's already posted some of them. The LA in this logo is eye candy.​

derek750 and profiled repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Allen - Seahawks & a well run Sounders team
    HSG - Chiefs, Crew & Dallas (plus other sports I think) - Crew and Dallas have both been to MLS Cup in recent years
    AEG - Clearly LA and Houston are doing pretty well
    Lew Wolff - Oakland A's & SJ, who just won the Supporters Shield
    Eric Thohir - 76ers and overseas basketball, DC United team in the conference final
    Jaosn Levien - Memphis Grizzlies & DC United

Yes, Kroenke destroys every team he touches, and Kraft couldn't care less about anything other than his Patriots, plus Toronto and the Red Bulls, but there's some pretty good balance out there.

22. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    club deportivo los angeles would be much better than Chivas USA ... it would put the city first and emphasize the local community over the Chivas brand.

and the fact that the Chivas USA logo has the city coat of arms of Guadalajara on it is an absolute f**king joke ... and is a perfect example of the complete disdain the Vergara has towards MLS and LA and Chivas USA and anything not Chivas d Guad.

if the team name changes to CD Los Angeles and the logo reflects the name change and removes entirely the Guadalajara seal to be replaced with some iconography of the LA city seal i'd be much more inclined to believe that Vergara is willing to treat the two teams he owns equally and separately.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players has Vergara taken away from CDUSA again, ole? Players they found and developed?

24. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the sounders have a majority of their ownership with no other sports interest ... PA is outweighed and counterbalanced by the other 3/4ths of the ownership.

HSG sucks as an ownership group and are firmly stuck in 1998 ... they've done tons to alienate their fans and off field the are amongst the worst in MLS.

AEG's main other sports interest is LA Kings who aren't as far above LA Galaxy as to completely obfuscate them in the priority of the ownership group ... and of course papa AEG was the founder and main sugar daddy of the whole league so his interest in MLS can't be questioned.

Lew Wolff - and how good have SJ been prior to this year? how long has it taken them to get a stadium? congrats to them that they are finally getting things done but they ARE NOT by any stretch of the imagination the model ownership group in MLS, they are middle of the pack at best.

Thohir and Leivin have owned part of DCU for about 2 seconds, whether or not they are bringing anything to the table is impossible to tell yet. and their other owner who is not local and has other sports interest has managed to see their attendance dwindle, not get out of decrepit RFK and had non playoff teams until this year ... again ... hardly the model of excellent MLS ownership.

so, as i stated before ... MLS teams who's majority ownership has other professional sports interests in teams that are far higher profile than their MLS teams tend to mostly be mediocre at best and utter shite at worst in terms of combined on and off-field success in modern MLS.

25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    they haven't uncovered anybody they deemed worthy ... but they've pretty clearly stated that they want to use Chivas USA as a foothold in LA to discover and develop talent for the mothership and secondarily Chivas USA.

are you saying that if they uncovered a mexican-american in their youth academies in LA with the talent level of say Chicharito that they'd sign that exemplary player to a HG MLS contract over bringing them into the Guadalajara club? because if you think that i've got some lovely beachfront property in Montana i'd love to sell you ....