Vergara buys out Cue, owns all of Chivas USA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by AndyMead, Aug 29, 2012.

1. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    chivas usa fan base? ha hahahahaha

2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

hmmmm. let's see.

Lakers A; Clippers B
    Kings A; Ducks B
    Dodgers A; Angels A

Cubs A; White Sox B

Yankees A, Mets B
    Rangers A, Devils B, Islanders C
    Giants A, Jets B

so in ever single instance except for MLB in LA there is a pretty big distinction between two teams sharing a market in the same league. and the MLB thing is only due to the fact that the Dodgers have been a dumpster fire for the past 5 years with the whole divorce/ownership thing .... now that is sorted it is pretty likely the Dodgers will overtake the Angels and it will go back to it being Dodgers A and Angels B just like it has been for most of the co-history in LA.

3. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL were giving away 30% of its tickets in the early year (this was admitted by RSL front office in the recent article), I wonder how many tickets Chivas USA are giving away right now...

Chivas USA is a failure. Need a new start and new identity.

Relocation might be best. Phoenix and San Antonio are front runners.

If the owners of the Arizona Cardinals offer to buy Chivas USA for $40 million, would they sell?

About Phoenix,Arizona:

City population: 1,445,632
    Metro population: 4,263,236

Demographics:

White: 76.7% (46.5% non-Hispanic)
    Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 40.8% (35.9% Mexican, 0.6% Puerto Rican 0.5% Guatemalan, 0.3% Salvadoran, 0.3% Cuban)
    Black or African American: 6.5% (6.0% non-Hispanic)
    Asian: 3.0% (0.8% Indian, 0.5% Filipino, 0.5% Chinese, 0.4% Vietnamese, 0.2% Korean, 0.1% Japanese, 0.1% Burmese)
    Two or more races: 1.7%
    Native American: 1.6%
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
    Some other race: 0.2%

Stadium:

University of Phoenix Stadium (with air conditioning due to high summer temperature)
    Surface: Grass
    Capacity: 63,400

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Are you just making stuff up now?

Unless there's the slightest shred of evidence that anything like this has occurred, I don't think that this belongs in this discussion. If I want fantasy, I'd spend my time in You Be The Don.

jvilla07 and sitruc repped this.
  5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    If CUSA is a failure then Colorado, FCD, Chicago, Columbus, New England, and DC are all failures too and should be moved. If you are just going to use attendance as your base (and I know you are) then each of those clubs have been around or below CUSA's attendance since they entered the league. Otherwise I hope you have some data to show that they are a failure in any other way because none of us have ever seen it. Hell, I'm pretty sure I read other places that they did pretty good in terms of sponsorship.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if Carlos Slim would also get involved?

Fiosfan repped this.
  7. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look out Barcelona here comes COSMOS USA!!!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sure seems to be the attitude...like the word "Cosmos" has some magical power.

9. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not far off Ole's actual opinion...

Jasonma repped this.
  10. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    There's always going to be A team and B team in any dual sport city. The important thing is can that team make money. I can't see why CUSA wouldn't be profitable with their own stadium.

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did you bold this? It certainly did not help them in LA where that number may be even higher.

12. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is even higher...LA's something like 48-49% Hispanic...

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'd take a B team on the relative level of the Mets and White Sox any day. The fact that OlePopgun00 sees those type of teams as something to be avoided is both laughable and predictable coming from hm.

Green and BLue and Cactus Hibs repped this.
  14. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I am sure the owners of both teams cry bitter tears about their "B team" status as they swim through their piles of money...

15. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Yes, but when the Commissioner says, "We have, like all leagues, markets that we’d like to see perform better. Chivas (USA) is an example of that", that's not a good thing. With all due respect to Chivas USA fans, I think there is evidence the league was, and probably is, particularly concerned about the team.

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    again. you've entirely missed the point. there is nothing wrong with having a Mets or Whitesox or Jets in a league with 30-32 teams where you already have all of the major markets covered and doubling up on a few doesn't hurt your nationwide footprint.

but in a league with 20 teams it is just idiotic to invest time and money in having B teams in markets when you have few enough teams as it is to cover the whole country.

but feel free to ignore the obvious difference and continue to be entirely obtuse.

17. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Ole, how many MLB teams were there in 1962 when they started the Mets? Were there teams in Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Miami, etc.? It's too bad you weren't around to warn them what idiots they were...

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bill Bidwell fork over $40 million? o_O

KensingtonSC and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I agree. When a franchise has a season ticket base in the hundreds they are going to be viewed as very poor. I almost wonder if MLS hasnt forced their hand here to make changes. I wonder if this isnt the first step in them either selling the team or doing a total facelift(move to another city, rebrand).

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless, of course, a new "B" team in a existing market is more successful drawing in fans and sponsors than a new "A" team in a new market. Going back to the baseball examples, I think it would be more harmful to MLB to lose the Mets and White Sox rather than the Royals or Pirates, despite the fact that the latter teams increase the national footprint.

xbhaskarx and Cactus Hibs repped this.
  21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naming the team Chivas USA alienated a lot of Mexican American in LA.

Right off the bat, you eliminated a large part of the population.

22. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that your initial comparison wasn't merely A team/B team. It was Lakers/Clippers, where one is a glamorous team with championship dynasties in multiple decades, and the other isa p[erennial laughingstock and an afterthought. Way to move the goal posts there.

Oh, and in regards to your other post, in which you laugh derisively at the fan base of a certain team, as if the size of said fan base has anything to do with the passion those fans have for their team, and how heartbroken they would be to lose their team: You are the dumpster fire of BigSoccer posters. Please just stop.

Cactus Hibs and Jasonma repped this.
  23. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Poor Bills #alwaysforgotten.

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I don't disagree that they need to perform better. They have had a steady decline the last few years in attendance and they have a small season ticket base as pointed out already. However, to say that they are a failure and they need to move ignores the years they have been mid-pack in terms of attendance and whatever commercial value they have (which I'm thinking are better than quite a few teams in MLS). Things need to change there for sure, but I am far from the opinion that means move the team from the LA metro area.

25. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Well, if CUSA pull an attendance of 11,000 for a game it does seem to generate a lot more anger on these boards than oif New England, Colorado, Dallas or whomever does.