Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    fully agree- havent been a teibert fan, but seeing him show his stuff as a central MF, rather than filling space on the wide mf, made me see more of his ability-- koffie should be worried!! a great first half and a solid second-- Teibert and NRC seem to have good chemistry, better than NRC and koffie

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    fully agree- havent been a teibert fan, but seeing him show his stuff as a central MF, rather than filling space on the wide mf, made me see more of his ability-- koffie should be worried!! a great first half and a solid second-- Teibert and NRC seem to have good chemistry, better than NRC and koffie

3. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Koffie has done more than enough to earn his spot on this team and in the starting 11. He was arguably the Caps best player last year and Rennie needs to get him the 11. As I have said before, I love what JMD brings but its time for a Koffie and NRC pairing at defensive mid. I have no idea how Rennie can have JMD ahead of Koffie in the depth chart. Gershon has been nothing short of spectacular for the WC for the past two years and how does he get repaid? he gets dropped to the fourth CM on the list behind NRC, JMD and now Teibert( who played outstanding today dont get me wrong). Really hoping that we see Gershon back in the side next week and that him sitting doesn't become a trend.

4. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    koffie will have to take the intiative to win back his starting assignment-- he lost it with indifferent play over several games and is getting his just rewards-- MR has done the right thing-- every player has to earn the time, not just be granted it by last year's play
    teibert has got 'his tail up' and has earned the starting slot in CMF-- its foolhardy to have NRC, koba, teibert and koffie- all attacking mfs-- on the field at the same time-- a recipe for disaster with counter attacks by the opposition-- we need a defensive mf and right now that is davidson, unless watson or a fit leveron can take it away from him

5. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. Problem is, he still doesn't distribute the ball as well as Kobayashi when he's in the middle, and doesn't tackle any harder either. What's the point of sidelining Koba's abilities, and struggling as a result? Good for Teibert to play, but they also need to develop some midfield cohesion, and they need some wins. When Kobayashi's in the middle, the WC's passing in the final third improves, and they score. As good as this is for Teibert, it smacks to me of a TFC move--play a Canadian player at the expense of a bonafide veteran who can help you now. If they lose Kobayashi, I'm not renewing my season tickets.

6. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i believe that koba is a good enough professional to be able to adapt and make a impact in a game-- teibert is just playing too well in CMF to move him now--

other thoughts:

at this point, i believe that koffie will have to fight for his place which will really prove his professional mettle- i m not convinced he will make a good DMF to replace davidson

and i am not convinced that camilo will be a consistent player so i see other opportunities coming for those players who want it bad enough so koba will have opportunities there IMO without loosing teibert

i think with the challenges of the MLS schedule, MR is grooming players to play and rest-- the same lineup will just not happen very often from game-to-game-- koba might need a rest to re-energize- same goes for davidson, lee and rochat

and the other question is-- can teibert be a consistent player making an impact?? its on the plate for him to take and hopefully he does and not because he is a canadian-- i wrote a comment several months ago about MR setting teibert loose in CMF -- nice to be right sometimes

8. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Poor first half by the Whitecaps... Is Rennie just penciling in the back four and the drawing names from a hat for the rest of the lineup? No Mattocks, Koffie, Koba, Camilo but rather Heinamann, Watson, Davidson, Teibert. I understand that there is depth on this team, but it seems Rennie is just switching things around every game just because he can. I am shocked that he has left Mattocks and Koffie out for this long, yes Mattocks has had his trouble finishing but so has EVERYONE on this team and I just can't understand what it is that is keeping Rennie from using both he and Koffie. All I can imagine is that there is something behind the scenes going on, particularly with Mattocks because he seems to be going out of his way to keep him out of the lineup. Starting the likes of Hertzog and Heinamann over him is ridiculous, and to keep Koffie out for Teibert (who is playing well) is one thing, but to then go and put Watson in over him is another wild decision.

9. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope Teibert keeps his starting role, i aim to make him my fifth MF in fantasy.

10. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree completely. While Mattocks has been having trouble finishing his chances, it is much more enjoyable to watch him actually create chances to blunder, rather than being non existant on the pitch like Heinamann and Hertzog have been. I also have no idea why Watson was in the line up, and why Davidson continues to maintain his spot. His play has been uninspiring. The game almost instantaneously became more exciting with Mattocks, Camilo and Koffie in the line up saturday as we begun to actually generate offense.

I'm concerned because to me it seems Rennie had his game sheets mixed up, this was the kind of line up to start against Edmonton Wednesday, rather than against the top team in the MLS currently. I don't want to see him start our top players Wednesday to ensure we have a bounce back game, only to have them tired or benched for our rematch with Dallas Saturday. We have been "getting by" with our continual line up mash up each game, but we got burned hard Saturday. Hope this is a wake up call and we begin to see more consistency. I don't necessarily buy the whole talk of players simply expecting to maintain their starting spots on cruise control when it involves Koffie/Mattocks who have set considerably lofty goals preseason.

I'd like to see a much better effort out of Reo-Coker as well. A midfield combo of Teibert and Koffie may not be as technically gifted, but at least they play with heart.

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    have to disagree with you about NRC-- i think the last 2 games he has been showing he can be a lion in the mf and a very valuable leader for the team-- it must be frustrating for him to be having players and formations constantly changing by MR's decisions

but i agree that the caps would do well to have NRC, teibert and koffie on the field at the same time- we need to settle and solidify the MF, the engine of any good team- constantly changing players and formations only brings confusion and lack of flow-- is MR confused himself or does he really have a master plan that will bring positive results? -- beginning to wonder after the past 5 games without a win

12. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rennie actually said that he rested Mattocks and Camilo for the match against Edmonton. If they start tonight, you'd have to assume they are limited again on Saturday.

13. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    if MR rests some of his better players for saturday's game because they played vs edmonton, i, and i guess many other supporters, will be booing the selections, not to diss the chosen second team members, but to show our disagreement with his PLAN

and since did we really get into this idea that professionally trained and very fit players can not play 2 games in 4-5 days?? give them thursday off, a light training and game prep on friday and set them loose on saturday

i want the best team on the field-- enough with the tinkering! there are some reserve players who will never be capable of playing and making an impact at the MLS level and should be sent to the division 2 league and let younger, more potentially skillful players emerge

14. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Greetings from Seattle! :)
    Last night I heard that Sounders FO is going to offer your team 5000 tickets for June 08 game CLink in Seattle. It will be good to reserve Amtrak Cascades Train for your fans?! ;)

15. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    sportie1

let me ask you some questions

how long have you been a whitecaps fan? by your posting, I would guess less than 2 seasons
    what qualifies you to discuss fitness and training
    what qualifies you to discuss lineup suggestions against a qualified coach like Martin Rennie

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    1. started attending caps games in 1974 and became a STH in 1977 which i have continued to this day-- ya, i'm an old fart!

2. played soccer over 30 years and suffered with my share of injuries-- had both hamstring and achilles tendonitis and know that they take a longggggg time to fully heal- come back too soon and the risk is a quick re-injury and a longer time off from playing... like de merit and miller; not sure why a young player like salgado is taking so long, but something is amiss as he is still at only 70% fit- as far as i know, his leg/foot is still hurting after 1 year

3. this is a discussion board and suggestions and personal ideas, analysis and critiques about soccer and the caps are what its all about-- friendly bantering and disagreements are part of it- enjoy without getting personal and demeaning

4. when wrong, eat crow and be happy that you particpated in the forum

17. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    And you expect me to believe all of this? You must be 18.

18. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When MTX scores two goals today - you'll have to have a heaping dish. =)

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and i will be very happy that you are right

20. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    caps rookie and top draft pick from 2011, omar salgado, has once again re-injured his foot/leg and is going under the knife-- probably gone for the season-- how the hell he was allowed to train/play in scrimmages, including going to the Under 20 USA soccer camp a couple of weeks ago, when he was admittedly only 70-80% ready is simply beyond reason!! very strange training procedures with the caps
    i just hope they make sure that miller is 100% healed from his hamstring injury before setting him loose in the starting line-up-- june seems like the best choice

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  22. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL PDL Playoffs

Fri, July 25, 2014

553 5:30 PM St. Louis Lions at Michigan Bucks Valley Stadium

554 8:30 PM K-W United FC at Des Moines Menace Valley Stadium

559 9:00 PM Ventura County Fusion at Kitsap Pumas Kino Sports Complex

560 11:00 PM Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-23 at FC Tucson Kino Sports Complex

Sat, July 26, 2014

562 5:00 PM CFC Azul at Jersey Express Lubetkin Field @ NJIT

556 6:00 PM Laredo Heat at Ocala Stampede House Park Stadium

563 7:30 PM West Virginia Chaos at Seacoast United Phantoms Lubetkin Field @ NJIT

555 8:30 PM Semi-Final #1 Winner at Semi-Final #2 Winner Valley Stadium

557 8:30 PM SW Florida Adrenaline at Austin Aztex House Park Stadium

561 10:30 PM Semi-Final #1 Winner at Semi-Final #2 Winner Kino Sports Complex

Sun, July 27, 2014

564 5:00 PM Semi-Final #1 Winner at Semi-Final #2 Winner Lubetkin Field @ NJIT

558 8:30 PM Semi-Final #1 Winner at Semi-Final #2 Winner House Park Stadium