Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    The truth is always hard, once a fan favorite and now he needs to go in order to move on for both the caps and himself. Hassli's play style is still puzzling to me though... he isn't a target man we hoped to be despite his size and physical presence. He just doesn't really fit into Rennie's plan, the caps have implemented more of a traditional British style of fast counter attacking which requires a lot of athleticism.

Life sucks, wish Hassli will leave on a high note rather than a bitter one.

2. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Am I missing something? Where has it been stated that he is done, needs a trade/wants a trade, has a bad attitude? Hassli was into the game when he was on the bench, first one jumping off when Le Toux almost scored the first goal (deflection, save, cross bar) Obviously paying a guy 900,000 a season and sitting him 80 minutes a game isn't ideal - but right now its working, and I haven't seen him complaining publicly. Why change what is working? I'd rather keep Camilo and Hassli in case something happens to Mattocks Le Toux or Chiumento. Hassli is a fan favorite, just got married and I doubt in any rush to leave.

Hassli was brought on because he is stronger on the ball and holds it up better than Camilo. He just played very poorly in the few minutes he got last night.

marcopaulo and JohnnyRanger repped this.
  3. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I say send him to the Galaxy. They've been paying Beckham millions to "bend it like Beckham" on free kicks and look pretty, and they're also paying Keane (how much?) to retire on the West Coast. Surely they could take on a colourful (literally) Frenchman who scores the odd highlight reel goal and loves horses(?)

The one problem is, do the Galaxy have anyone we want/need?

4. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    The coach likes winning more than he likes one player. He's playing his system, not favourites. Hassli's time will come, he's too talented to sit on the bench for long

5. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Until Hassli starts playing like a man of courage and determination, I wouldn't put him in either. What's the point in fielding a player who spends 15 seconds after every offensive surge sitting on his ass whinging?

6. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Carlos Bocanegra
    Ever since Rangers went into administration, I've been hearing the rumours that Bocanegra's headed here to Vancouver. So today, I found two bits of info that seem contradictory to me:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/06/whitecaps-fc-make-trade-philadelphia-union
    and
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...pl/4387796/Clubs-queue-up-for-Gers-stars.html

Am I missing something here about the legal vagaries of the situation? If Rangers essentially broke all the players' contracts, making them free agents, does that mean MLS allocation order means nothing?

The Scottish Sun (reputable paper?) sounds pretty much like Bocanegra's headed here (even though they got the WC name wrong--there's a bit of distance between us and Colorado).

Can anyone shed more light on this? I'm interested mainly because I like the idea of Bocanegra coming here. He'd allow for a much better backline rotation, especially for those Wednesday-Saturday games, and I think he'd be an upgrade on Demerit in the longer run. And this at a time when We're getting more midfield help in the form of Barry Robson.

7. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    MLS rules are too complicated for me to understand. I do however have a better grip over the SFA/SFL/SPL stuff with Rangers and "Club 12"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18599387

The Rangers v Club 12 thing in the SPL is a bit of smoke for me till the SFA, SPL and member clubs actually act. For some time now the member clubs in Scotland have been pushing for a re-jigging of the SPL and lower leagues, essentially they have been pushing for a 2 tier SPL (a top flight of 10 teams and a second tier of 10 teams) with the lower divisions falling in line below. The hitch was Rangers and Celtic always blocked the move as only 2 veto votes were required to block reform. Now Rangers have been killed and a newco has applied they have no vote till the SFA and SPL admit them back in.

The SFA and SPL would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The Clubs ideological thinking is correct that Rangers should be punished (and I fully concur with them) however they are facing severe financial impact by not having Rangers driving up TV revenue and bringing massive hoardes of away fans to each small club's park on away days.

I've got no crystal ball, but I would guess that for this year Rangers newco goes to the SFL First div, wins it easily and the next year there will be a two tiered SPL with Rangers back in the top flight and thus the players will not have all walked off as they are essentially guaranteed European Football in the next season.

The only reason players will want away is to play good foootball (European or otherwise) Outside of a handfull of players with Rangers currently (Whittaker, Naismith and MacGregor) the rest of the side is more Championship level players, so Premier League teams from England aren't exactly salivating over the likes of Sone Aluko, Boca, Mo Edu, etc... none that would feature in the Champions League or Europa League anyways.

Just a hunch.

Therefore a good number of players in advanced stages of their career would want away and whether or not they are able to get free of their contracts without long drawn out court proceedings (Think Bosman Ruling/Case) and I'd surmise that the players/club would work to let a few guys go more so on the cheap than free, therefore you'd be looking at transfer fees etc and I'm not 100% sure how that works with MLS Rules for a guy like Boca to come back.

One last thing on the Rangers saga. If the SPL/SFL/SFA continue to stonewall Rangers there will inevitably be a team in England somewhere that would look to merge (ala the Bury rumours from a few weeks back) where Rangers could theoretically move into League 1 or League 2 and merge with a team in financial trouble and play their home games at Ibrox and essentially work their way up the English ladder to one day perhaps being in the EPL. This would be a DRASTIC and cynical blow (self inflicted I might add) to the Scottish game to lose one it's two life blood clubs to another Home Nation's league and pyramid)

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're forgetting that MLS is still a single entity organization, and that players sign with the league, not with individual teams.

Since every team in the league wants USMNT players, the league decided years ago that all returning USMNT pool players would be distributed to teams via the allocation system.

If the Whitecaps want Bocanegra, they'll have to swing a deal with New England.

9. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't you mean Philadelphia? The WC had the #1 allocation spot, and traded it to Philadelphia a few days ago for allocation money.

I knew the returning players must sign with the league--does that still apply if there is no transfer to be paid to the previous club because the player is a free agent?

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used that Allocation slot to sign Bacary Soumare. The Caps will have to swing a deal with the Revs to regain that spot.

11. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  12. Whitecaps FC Blog

Whitecaps FC Blog New Member

May 15, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Some of our photos from the San Jose match. Click here

13. i giallorossi

i giallorossi Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    JohnnyRanger repped this.
  15. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and it gets even better for rennie and the FO as they have signed another quality, experienced central defender in andy o and now a promising cmf with some experience in tiago-- more quality, experience and depth for the caps makes us a potential runner in mls playoffs-- probably the caps r done with adding new players, 4-5 will be let go in the off-season-- the caps r laying a strong foundation for 2013 and a true run for the mls cup IMO
    my only concern is in goal if our goalie, cannon, gets injured

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    maybe adding a more experienced goalie as a back-up to cannon is the next and final move this year

17. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Although Knighton's seen very limited action so far, I think he's been solid when called upon. It'll be interesting to see how he does against RSL coming up. It'll be a solid test for him. As for Adding O'Brien and Ulisses, I couldn't agree more. The Caps now have some nice depth through the middle.

18. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    while i have been a huge supporter of barry robson and what he brought to the team in passion, ambition and creativity, i am beginning to wonder if he is able to control this drive to being a director of the mf-- seems like sometimes he acts more like a dictator for the entire team and we are beginning to see some friction between he and some other players- he needs to redirect himself to being the organizer/inspiration on the attack-- tone it down, barry and be the leader-- not the captain-- on the caps and things will improve
    and mattocks needs to ride the pine until he sees the light of his sometimes self-centered, out-of-control play-- he is very valuable when he remembers its a team game
    i still believe that rennie will get the best from the players b4 the season is over and the caps will make the playoffs, but it must be driving him a little mad from the recent performances-- maybe an open team forum behind closed doors is needed to air everything and start fresh with a team concept
    1 win is all that is needed to turn this ship around-- we are still a .500 team and far ahead from last season

20. TheGoldSheik

TheGoldSheik New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    How do you feel now that a few more losses have occured?

21. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
  22. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best for both parties - but what does that say about our Lord and Gaffer, Martin Rennie? I was so stoked for him to come to Vancouver, and I have no doubt that he is an improvement on TT and Soehn, but the mid-season shuffle, end-of-season shambles...maybe he's a good coach whose better at securing cheap players for a cash-strapped squad than he is at the MLS level?

I want Rennie to succeed, but Miller and Robson were washes, and most of his best pickups are the kind that he would have tried to lock up with the RailHawks budget.

Thoughts?

Sheik, any sources?

23. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My honest belief--and this comes from reading everything I can get my hands on about Rennie and the Caps, and watching him and the team as a fan from afar--is that Rennie is a smart, motivated man, and a very smart and good soccer coach, who did exceptionally well in the lower leagues, and will do well in MLS and possibly higher leagues--once he learns some important lessons about coaching in the MLS and higher leagues.

To me, Rennie's like that talented junior player who lit up the U-18 and college levels, then comes to the pro league and does some damage--because he has raw talent, motivation and a good head on his shoulders--but still makes mistakes, and needs a few years of seasoning to really hit his stride.

Now, it's possible that Rennie hits a wall and stagnates this year and next--as many of those college talents also fizzle--but what I wrote above is what I've seen so far.

But my gut tells me that he's a hard enough worker and smart enough to adapt to what the MLS throws at him. Are we done with any bumps along the road? Probably not. Will some of the coming gaffs be glaring ones? Probably (though hopefully not that many). But I take consolation from the fact that Siggy Schmid is as experienced and successful a head coach as you'll get from the current MLS crop, and even his Sounders have plateaued over the past few years in the playoffs, after several seasons of success during the regular season. So even teams that get credit in this league for doing pretty much everything right--from the get-go, with experienced staff--have a tough time of it.

Maybe MLS is just a tougher place to coach and succeed than many people think--certainly tougher than Rennie thought, perhaps, when he first got here.

24. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I see this as a sign of progress. Rennie took a chance with mid season changes that clearly did not go over too well. He is not sticking to his moves and going down with the ship, but continuing to make moves to better the team. I was surprised to see him meet with Chiumento - even if nothing came of it as it shows his relationship with players past and present is amicable. We have a lot of potential players coming in that could be exciting to watch if it plays out right.