Vancouver/Portland Road Trip Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattlites endorse your suggestion.

[​IMG]

2. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't already, you better start watching the show "Portlandia" for research.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg[/ame]

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's great, even if you're not going on the road trip.

4. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I forgot to mention, they have season one streaming on Netflix right now. Check it.

5. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite episode is when they mayor (Kyle McGlaughlin) goes missing and he's been playing bass in a regae band.

I 'hear' in the second season TA is actually featured...

Way to go TA! Embrace the bird. Call it art.

6. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    The media is embracing the bird a bit too much. The "Put a Boyd on it" headline to our recent DP signing was a tad too much.

But I agree - Mayor is Missing was the best episode from season 1 and I love the Wireless Toyz skit. "It's just a one time fee that you pay annually."

Some long time TA members were in the season two episode during the allergies parade scene. Particularly a few in the group of Soy punks. Looking forward to Feb 24th when the TA episode airs.

Have fun in the rose city. I predict an epic trip for you all!

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only heard of that show recently but I have heard great things. It is actually instant watch via Netflix. I might have to check it out tonight.

8. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Why wait:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlOkKskBqU"]Buying an emergency cell phone (Portlandia) - YouTube[/ame]

Manage expectations on the show thought - it's good, but there are some cringeworthy skits, probably a higher ratio than SNL. I'd say the show is like Portland in that it's gritty and unpolished on the whole with a few moments of raw beauty.

It's certainly different than the higly produced family sitcom that is Seattle! ;)

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am watching the first episode of Portlandia now.

Has anyone determined things they are doing in Portland and Vancouver?

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a pretty good idea of everything I'm doing, just all depends on if I head to PDX Thursday or Friday.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really know, I'm not spending much time in Portland or Vancouver. Need to see what I can do in Seattle during that time between though

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Wed - we get in at noon. So settle in meet up at a bar close to BC Place and head in. We're staying at The Georgian across the street from the stadium.

Thur - totally open. Would love to have fun with any SKC fans in VAN this day.

Fri - train to POR from 7am - 3pm. Going out to Rouge/Deschutes and drinking. Our hotel, the Crystal Hotel, is apparently around a lot of bars.

Sat - whatever other SKC fans are doing. We'll be staying about 3 blocks from the stadium. Looking for pregame get together.

14. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are headed to Bellingham Thursday night. We didnt want to get up too early on Friday so we are going to catch the Greyhound at 7PM and land in Bellingham around 9PM, stay the night and catch a rental car around 9AM and then head to Seattle for a couple of hours and then hope to land around Portland by 5 or 6PM.

What hotel? I think we are the closest hotel to the stadium but I dont remember what it is called.

15. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe i will start a facebook page for it or something so we can all access it just to see where everyone is, or where everyone is going...

Edit: i started it... just search "sporting kc roadtrip" and it should pop up... open group...

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Crystal Hotel.

17. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to call Widmer Brothers tomorrow about a tour. It would be Saturday at either 11 or 12:30. I need a number so who all would like to go if I can book it?

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I might have some change of plans. My brother thought this was on a different date and is not going to be in Mexico. So I'm trying to figure out a new plan. My brother has offered to let me stay at his place and use his car, so getting to Vancouver from Seattle should be ok, but now I think I might head down to Portland on Friday instead of Saturday so that I can hang out with people instead of spending all day Friday by myself just to head down Saturday.

19. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Portland lurker reading your thread. If you are into beer, and are going to be venturing over to the eastside anyway (where Widmer is), be sure to check out Hair of the Dog. http://www.hairofthedog.com/ Their beer is truly amazing. If you are up for more eastside beer ventures, also check out Hopworks: http://hopworksbeer.com/ Their organic lager is my favorite beer in the city. Do not waste any beer money/time at any McMenamins (the proprietors of the Crystal Hotel, incidentally) unless there are no other options. It is a poor representation of the city's beer (though their tots are amazing).

All three (Widmer, Hopworks Bike Bar, and Hair of the Dog) are within bike riding distance (by Portland standards). http://bikeportland.org/2009/08/19/where-to-rent-a-bike-in-portland-22171

Thank you -- carry on.

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Thanks for the pointers. Check your PMs.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've rebooked my train down to Portland and I'm now getting into Portland around 6 on Friday night. Means I just have a day and a half to kill in Seattle. Looks like Fremont Brewery is only about a mile from my brothers place so I'll probably hit up that. Also do some touristy stuff. But if anyone is in Seattle on Thursday or even Friday morning and want to hang out, let me know.

22. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After talking with some Portland fans, I decided the Widmer brewery tour isnt worth the time. They said it is no different than other brewery tours and that for the limited time in Portland we would be better off just stopping into brewpubs while you are out and trying different beers.

They also said that tailgating is very difficult since it is an urban stadium and that their are bars around the stadium worth visiting. I guess a lot of supporters hang out at the Bitter End before games.

24. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got tickets booked on frontier into PDX on Friday evening, leaving on Sunday afternoon.

Staying at the Park Inn & suites.

Can't do Vancouver cause I can't miss as much work as all you dope smoking hippies. :D