van Persie Watch

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GrimsbyGooner, Jul 21, 2012.

?

where will RvP end up?

1. Manchester City

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Manchester United

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Juventus

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. other

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you sure he broke it, and not a Spanish newspaper?

2. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a picture of him:

[​IMG]

Shadowy character that.

3. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can agree to terms with another team in January so you really can't get much for him. We waited an extra six months for Chamakh for this reason.

Either you sell now, re-sign multi-year (so you have some value when he next wants to move) or you ride out the year.

4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree. The main reason that the RVP statement surprised me wasn't so much that he wanted out but that he went ahead with that statement even though there is no good club for him to go to.

If either of the big Spanish clubs wanted him, that would make sense but they don't, for now at least and so both RVP and the club are basically stuck in the same place. But the club at least have taken some big steps in moving on without him, so fair play to them for that.

5. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Arsenal have done very well with the news about RVP.

1. They've tried to keep it quiet as long as possible and tried to keep the player.

2. They bought replacements without spending a ridiculous amount of cash.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I don't care as much about that as the direction of the squad. Obviously RVP is a great talent, but in an odd way the players' roles are cleaner if he leaves.

If he stays plays, we bench at least one of Giroud and Podolski and maybe both. And, I don't know what formation we play. If we stay 4-3-3, we can play Rosicky as the CAM and Cazorla on RW, but for the moment at least Rosicky isn't healthy and that benches both new forwards. I think we're probably better off reverting to 4411.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, he did.. He is basking in glory now on Twitter :)...

8. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    With the news about possibly taking Sahin on loan and City's supposed interest in Higuain I wouldn't mind seeing van Persie go to Real Madrid for a cut price to replace Higuain (if/when he is transfered to Manchester) if it means we get the option to sign Sahin at the end of the season.

9. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I get the feeling he may stay.

The question thenIMO will be will he retain his 11/12 form? Will the fans accept him?

What if we win, say the FA and/or League Cup next season? Will he then stay long-term, since he is technically in a winning team then?

If he does stay, i won't boo him or malign him, but I don't think as many fans would warm to him as they once did. If he scores a shitload again, then maybe it would forestall detraction.

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think if we see van Persie playing hard and giving a shit, I think most fans will forget and forgive. Hell, we brought Sol back, and he walked out on the team, which to me, is more unforgiveable than what van Persie said. But I know I am in the minority.

11. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He (RVP) is regretting his decision and feel he come out a bit too soon. He should have kept quite till he see what AW will do this season. I don't think both Manchester team need him that bad. Am concerned he might get injured during 12/13 season thus i want him to be sold and cashing-in. Definitely he wont get that many scoring chances this season since we have Pod and Gro. The will pick up the load. I honestly expect between Pod/Gro/Coz/Sahin good hot 40+ goals. Gerviniho will be more clinical this year thus he will double his numbers...I mean honestly see that this is GUNNERS year. TWO WEEKS TO GO...

12. EPL Fan

EPL Fan Member

Arsenal, FC Cincinnati
    Mar 7, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So sick of another summer with high profile player in a sour relationship wit Arsenal. This time entirely on the shoulders of the player. He and his agent overshot their importance on many levels. Time for the club to make a stand.

1. Either sell him to Juventus or another foreign club, but under no circumstances can you sell him to a rival. We have done it too often, and it didn't bother me before. With City winning a title now, if we sell to them again we will be hard done to change the perception of being a feeder club content with Champions League but no titles.

2. Hate City, but respect Mancini with Tevez. Based on what RvP said about the direction of the club (under a coach and system that has always supported him and allowed him to flourish as an individual) announce that he has made his position with the first team untenable. Allow him to either go on holiday (provided he doesn't train with any other squads which would result in a violation of contract) or train (but not feature) for the reserves. Swallow the loss, but send the message to your players that a contract is a contract and players are expected to honor them.

Look at the scenarios around option 2. Reality right now (which can change in two weeks) is that no one rates him that highly. They realize that in 8 seasons he has missed massive parts of 6 1/2. He is injury prone and almost at the 30 threshold. How many clubs would actually offer him what he is hoping for if he is on holiday or practicing in the reserves? Would they take a gamble on a guy that is fragile and has not scored a first team goal since May? He'd be free to negotiate in January but who would give him what he wants. How would the offer Arsenal tabled look then?

I personally loved the guy and my son runs around the house singing, "He's Robin Van Persie and he scores when he wants!". He's 7 and idolizes him. I would welcome him back with a simply, "I'm sorry."

13. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    Higuain is not going to City, snowball's chance in hell. My guess as to what will happen is RVP will stay and be first choice. Depending on how Giroud and Podolski start, and the team's early success, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a 180 and signs an extension midseason.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way RVP signs an extension. He's leaving too much money on the table.

15. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    Probably true, but I don't think it's completely out of the question.

16. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kids, kids. Nothing heals old wounds like 2 dozen goals.

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RvP goes to City. I will put up good money for that happening. If that does not happen then he stays.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    not the best money, but $50?

19. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Prince, so $50 that he doesn't go to Man City?

Romfordray is saying he will go to Man City.

Is this by Aug 31st, the Jan transfer window, or at the end of next season?

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Robin Van Persie to score against Arsenal this season
    5/2

I was trying to find odds he goes to citeh, found this one.

he is 2/1 to join citeh, fwiw.

21. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you look at the situation through non-Arsenal eyes, you would have to be worried about your side spending 20 million plus 150- 180k per week on a 29 year-old, oft-injured player with 18 months of brilliance.

That kind of money is "sure-thing" money (paychech if not transfer fee). Is RvP a "sure thing" (as much as anyone can be)?

22. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If outsiders like us can see that he is a oft-injured 29 year-old with 18 months of brilliance, surely other clubs too. No doubt he's a great talent, but you don't plunk down real money for one-hit wonders when you already have a stable full and don't have problems scoring (Citeh, Utd).

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I take it as RomfordRay saying, by August 31st, RVP will be a Man City player. I dont believe he will.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe it either. It seems now that Citeh's RVP strategy hinged on getting guys like Adebayor to agree to moves and massive pay cuts. This was obviously never going to happen.

25. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the teams, I don't see where he is going to go, at least of those mentioned. City - FFP. Utd - trying to buy generally younger players for the longer term. Juve - need a "get out of jail free" card for their manager. (On a side note, after Ade and Toure [and to a lesser degree, Nasri] why would City ever do business with us again?)

What about Chelsea? No move for Hulk or anyone else. No lack of money. I'd think room for salary after being shorn of Drogba and Anelka. Allows his wife to stay in London as she wishes.

Then again, they also need to get younger and get under FFP so maybe just slightly more likely than City and for the same reasons.

How about a straight Sahin for RvP exchange?