van Persie Watch

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GrimsbyGooner, Jul 21, 2012.

?

where will RvP end up?

1. Manchester City

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Manchester United

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Juventus

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. other

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am deanchernandez

If you like following people who rarely tweet, I am your kind of Twitter user!

I use it more to follow journos I like than anything else.

Need to stop following Yossi as he is now retweeting Chelsea stuff left and right.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Robin, you've been amazing for the last year and a half, but if you want out, don't let the door hit you in the ass. No hard feelings.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, RVP seems to be in a bind these days. Juve is getting into a crisis with the Conte suspension. City wants to get rid of at least Ade, Santa Cruz and either Tevez or Dzeko before bidding for him (and now it is rumored that they want Higuain instead) and MU does not seem to have the money, having offered just £ 15 M.
    From all accounts, RVP goes to training in good spirit everyday, but one has to wonder what he must be thinking these days. With Cazorla and perhaps Sahin arriving, Arsenal is having the best offseason so far in term of addition in the EPL and that must be food for thought for him.

4. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One out for that bind is for him to CAREFULLY play out his final year. This guy was capable of being two weeks away for a year at a time before he was wondering who he'd play for the following year, imagine how much more careful he and his agent will be with his health when effectively playing without a contract.

In my opinion, we are in that bind with him.

And I agree with Sid Lowe, the signings are a smoke screen and not that relevant to whether he stays or goes. Not only that, but he never said "signings" in his note, did he? I, like everyone else, made that assumption but he did say "direction of the club" or words to that effect and not a more specific phrase but then immediately downplayed mention of a new contract.

Isn't it possible that the direction of the club he wanted was for us to pay superstars (i.e. him) City-esque wages to keep them? Isn't it possible that rather than a complaint about who we sign to replace stars, his complaint was that we don't pay enough to keep them (i.e. him) in the first place?

Couldn't this both be about how much he get paid AND the direction of the club (as he sees) it but still have the signings be irrelevant?

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, it has always ben clear for me that the " ambitions" issue raised by RVP was a code word for more money $$. Him being in a bind for me is mostly related to the lack of activity and interest for him.
    Despite all the chatters, Wenger stated that no offer has been received so far and the club has made it clear that he will not be let go on the cheap.
    The other part of the bind is basically having to go to "work" with colleagues that he openly disparaged. Not a fun day at the "office" despite all the appearances.
    Personnally, I hope he leaves (for a decent fee and hopefully to Juve). I have turn the page and I have a feeling that most gunners have as well.

6. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will go to City. Money talks. Bobby will find a way to sign him. 230K per week will do it.

7. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder when his agent starts telling him to take our last offer and they can always engineer a move next year.

8. katsimbris

katsimbris New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Delaware
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that in a manner of it being worse? Like, he'll sign for us a for a year, and they play horribly, or show no effort, for us to appease a transfer?

Mike K

9. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think he will try to replicate his last 18 months and then get his big money move.

Upside, maybe he leads us to the promised land and then buggers off. Downside, he sucks up 130K per week and never plays more than every third game because of Persitis for the remainder of his contract. Mid range, he helps enough to still look good himself but we falter and he brings out the same tired excuse next year and buggers off.

10. katsimbris

katsimbris New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Delaware
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope that if he does stay, that you're right in this instance. I'd hate to see the team play poorly over what could be described as an HR (Human Resources) problem.

Mike K

11. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the wildcard. Does he stay captain? In which case how do his teammates feel about that? If you strip him of his captaincy, does he get the hump? Will being stripped be a blocker on a new contract?

That statement really makes this harder.

12. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal, caughtoffside and Bleacher..... not sure which one is worse. :)

Monday is going to be key. Arsene is taking the team for a week of camp in Germany and will play Koln there. The question is will he take RVP to Germany? If not, will be a clear sign that he is as good as gone.

14. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha....yes, I know they're all terrible sites. I am still just waiting for that backpedal to begin if all the RVP suitors dry up, though....

15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Will be interesting to watch him backpedaling. Having said that, he should leave. I don't se how he can repair the damages. In addtion, how could he still be the team captain after disparaging the players and the coach?

16. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an interesting tidbit. Ultimately, if RVP stays (and I hope he does not), he should be stripped
    of the captaincy. He does not deserves it.

18. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is going. Juve is out, red nose isn't going to pony up the cash and RvP apparently finds City less than appealing. Now I just can't decide if I would rather not re-sign him and lose any hope of a transfer fee or pay him 130K - 150K per week and risk watching about 7 0r 8 million in salary (plus probably a 5 million pound signing fee) sit on the trainer's table. I think I had already reached whatever level of grief is denoted as "acceptance" and am screwed up at the thought of a 180.

19. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One guy called his teammates second class and one guy stated he wants to play at the Arsenal for the rest of his career. Looks like Wenger made a decision as to which stance is worthy of a captain.

20. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Now how does someone know something like that.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they dont

probably just made it up entirely, lol

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he's resigned I can't envision Arsenal doing just one more year. Probably 2 or 3, so as to ensure he's focused on the here and now.

If he's kept for lack of acceptable suitors then I trust Arsene to not let any potential lag in play interfere with the prospects of others leading the attack. The drop off in options isn't as severe as last year, so RvP can't assume anything these days.

The question then would be: Move him in January or ride it out and hope he doesn't stay in the Prem?

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, this dude/twitter AFCamdem is one of the most reliable out there. He was the first one to break the Cazorla story. He is really on top of all things Arsenal. He is well known and respected. Check him out....

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed. Citing the "direction of the club" was an attempt to mask that but can't be construed any other way. Arsenal remain a top tier club in position to compete for trophies, and they're actively trying to do so while also helping their players to global exposure in the best of competitions. The only they don't have is unlimited funds, which is apparently the direction RvP wants to go.

If he truly cares about trophies then Juve seems a better option than City in terms of guaranteed silverware. But since they likely can't offer a gazillion a week...

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am totally over RVP. He should go so we can turn the pages. The problem though is the lack of suitors & decent offers.
    If he stays, it is a bit of a dilemma. He can't be the captain but stripping him as well is a major slap for him. On top of it, I always believed that it would be risky for AFC to sign for 3 more years with his age and injury history.
    If he is willing to take a year extension, perhaps that could be an option.