Valencia vs Real Madrid | La Liga | Match day 17 | 12/22/13 | 21:00 (Local)

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by surgeon, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Yeah, because we are clearly not doing it right. You can't play possession with a team that is split in half as much as ours is. We end up playing a pseudo-possession style that is toothless. And it starts at the back.

9Qui and Akramzizou repped this.
  2. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    How about the support our babehs give to each other though? After Jese' goal he ran over and jumped into Morata's arms and the likes of Dani, Nacho, and Llorente were all over him. That bond they have just warm the cockles of my dark heart :D

And Inigo Martinez has been pretty hot and cold this season too, he is one for the future to consider but not an answer right now.

3. Subtractam

Subtractam Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I personally enjoy our possession game although it leaves heaps of space in the CA. I'd mainly focus on our defence and midfield because it's looking tragic. Ancelotti really needs to do something about the defence and its already been half a season... and still no improvements

4. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Our defense has been generally crappy for awhile though. Under Pellegrini we were vulnerable and Mou was going to come and fix it, didn't happen. Ancelotti hasn't fared much better though he's had his hands tied a bit with injuries. A fully fit Varane will help but the one constant with all these coaches has been a shaky midfield and attackers who refuse to defend.
    Fix the "system" and I think our defense will look better.

5. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Worst. Valencia. Ever.

Holy Moly, do I hope Atleti and Barça kick the living day lights out of each other in 3 weeks. It's hard to see this team winning La Liga but at least we know those 2 have to battle it out soon.

6. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    That pitch was terrible too.

7. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    That's why we are doing it wrong. There were times I was pulling my hair out because Modic had the ball and all he had as a line of four players 20 yeards away. And when I say a line, I mean a straight fuucking line.

If we want to play something that resembles possession, we need to funnel a lot more of the game through Isco.

natenate101 repped this.
  8. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    This tactics is slow, predictable, it lacks depth ( which is ironic because RM has two speed machines ) and obviously causes some defensive problems. Second problem is striker position which really affects this team. The decision for not buying proper stiker and going into season with Benzema and Morata was obviously the wrong one. On the other hand, CB situation did not seem so problematic as it does now. Varane is injured to often, while Ramos is sadly stuck in dumb ******** mode.

Hopefully there are still some funds in transfer budget and some magical deal appears in January.

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Exactly. His initial instincts were right, he should have gotten to that ball. In fact, he should be getting to the vast majority of corners being hit in the 6 yard box.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  10. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I don't think we have to go crazy with transfers (and we shouldn't unless we sell for big money).

11. Romanero

Romanero Member+

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If it was Iker, everyone would be blaming him, saying that he sucks at cross, should not play in champions league, bla bla bla

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  12. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Modric was our best player, and Nacho made me have a lot more confidence in him, I don't think his yellow card was a necessary one but he had a very good game. I hope he can keep this up.

Benzema, I've lost my hope. He makes even other players like Di Maria looks bad with his terrible positioning and movement.

13. Subtractam

Subtractam Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah. I just rewatched the game and throughout the whole second half ronaldo and benzema weren't linking up with the midfield. They kept on calling the crosses which were deflected or missed the target. Reminds me of our game against Atletico and we all know how that went down... plus, when Isco came off we were essentially playing a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo as a striker. This is why we saw that he had no space in the game.

natenate101 repped this.
  14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Very soft yellow from the ref. A lot of worse challenges were made in the minutes prior (by both teams) that were let go without a card.

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ramos should have probably gotten a yellow (and would've if Jonas wouldn't be such a girls blouse about it), and Mathieu sent off. He went unpunished for a few challenges until he got his yellow, the most notable one being the one on Benzema, and then he didn't see a card for that terrible "challenge" on Xabi.

Not a complaint about the refereeing. We know it's not going to be perfect, but at least it was balanced.

16. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah but I felt the pace at which Nacho was heading to their player wasn't needed as many referees would be already thinking of giving the yellow card, especially that the ball wasn't at dangerous position.

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To be fair, the first Valencia goal didn't look all that dangerous until Di Maria didn't mark his man all the way and he had the opportunity to go for a cross. My father felt this was more of a "statement" foul, because Valencia got a bit too clever with that trick more than anything. Sometimes you get away with those, sometimes you don't.

18. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything has been covered, but I wanna add that I thought Di Maria was kinda awful in this one. Tons of misplaced passes and sloppy touches. His goal was sick but overall he was poor to me.

Ronaldo, as mentioned, was kinda out of it and when he was in it he was selfish.

Benzema, ughh.

Modric was great, Isco kinda nonexistent, Xabi solid enough, Marcelo kinda quiet, Ramos poor on both goals, Nacho decent enough, Arbeloa was himself, Diego decent! Carvajal added some much needed energy, and Jese's goal while not a beauty and a goalkeeping gaff, still could be very important. Good for him.

Agree that the posession stuff is only really fun to watch when it's moving FORWARD. When Xabi-Ramos-Modric-Nacho pass it amongst each other for 10 minutes it gets old.
    Alma mentioned the spacing thing and players not coming to get the ball or move into a good space....totally. That's been a problem for several years now. Big huge hole in the middle, with 3-4 players just standing still in line with the opposition's backline waiting for the ball to reach them by telepathy or magic. Our play gets funneled wide and seems fairly easy to fend off for large stretches. Not sure we will see any improvement unless players like Benzema, Ronaldo, Bale, DiMaria start working off each other and take turns dipping into the middle to retrieve the ball.

Dhajj and Subtractam repped this.
  19. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    #194 surgeon, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    So to recap:

1. Benzema and Ronaldo also need to defend and be more involved in the buildup at times..
    2. Lopez fecked up the second goal when he made that one crucial step forward....and since he's not in the best form for some time now he should be benched for a change...healthy competition, right..?
    3. Isco is still not releasing the ball fast enough
    4. Di Maria wont grow a brain any time soon
    5. Marcelo needs to be more responsible..
    5. Xabi should be our captain, with Modric and Arbeloa next in line....Ramos is just lost out there..feck the politics..

We'll be fine, we'll win la decima!

20. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaah Modric, he's just sooooo THE MAN ..

MadridOzil repped this.
  21. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not to be a pessimist, but i don't think this team is winning anything this season. Unless some players improve a lot, the best i hope for is winning the CDR.

Can't believe we are behind both these ********ing teams.

22. Subtractam

Subtractam Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Completely agree. Our defence is extremely pathetic and if we head onto the hectic part of the season (march, etc.) I can see a lot of big teams exposing us. HOWEVER, i'm about 75% sure we can get our sh*t together by then. the fact that we are winning games while not playing at our best should be a good positive. personally I still believe we can win la liga

23. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just might. It's a wacky game sometimes. We have as good a chance as anyone else still in the competition.

temesgen, halamadrid00 and 4x4s repped this.
  24. Xehanort

Xehanort Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Oct 7, 2013
    Mom's basement
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Once again, Di Maria showing his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome. 1st half he was great (Dr. Jekyll), 1 goal, 1 assist and some good passes and runs. 2nd half he was insultingly bad (Mr. Hyde), not a single damn good pass or run and forgot his brain in the locker room...*sigh*

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I thought for 65 minutes he was good. He worked hard all game. Around the 70th minute mark he gave the ball cheaply twice. You could tell he was tired then, Carlo's first sub should have been Jese for Di Maria rather than Isco I thought.