Valencia vs Real Madrid | La Liga | Match day 17 | 12/22/13 | 21:00 (Local)

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by surgeon, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    If we put the same faith Higuain that we showed in Benzy I *think* we wouldn't be whining about our striker at this point and a "good" striker would've been sufficient for us.

natenate101 repped this.
  2. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Neither is good enough to start here and both had their chance but blew it. Higuain I will remember while Benz I will probably forget about as soon as he leaves (if not sooner).

Hsain85 repped this.
  3. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    On form they're both more than capable of starting here and barring this season I'd argue they both had less than ideal conditions under which to seize opportunities but such is the nature of the beast here at times. Its not necessary to have world-class players in every position. But whatever what's done is done and hopefully we can get some consistency from our striker position after the break and then reassess this summer.

anticule repped this.
  4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Sounds like @Akramzizou isn't expecting "Benzema quédate" chants from the Bernabeu.

4x4s and WhiteBlood repped this.
  5. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    New solution:
    Every time Higuain scores in a league game, Benzema skips a meal and practices finishing instead.
    Every time Higuiain scores in Europe/international, Benzema spends an extra session with Castilla training.
    Every time Benzema misses a clear cut chance, he skips a meal and practices dribbling.
    Every time Benzema scores, he is allowed 1 hour with someone of the opposite sex.
    Every time Benzema assists on a goal, he is allowed 1 visit to the buffet.
    Every week, Benzema will be forced to give a speech discussing his attitude and form issues and how he intends to address them.
    For every month Benzema is short of set targets and objectives, he will be fined 50% of his salary.

Dhajj repped this.
  6. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Stop trying to change the subject. You keep repeating this as if it has relevance when your initial post wasn't about Higuian in another team it is about Higuain if he never left Real Madrid.

Higuain is the better player for Napoli. The problem is Napoli is not Real Madrid. If Benzema moved to a smaller club where he gets to take all the shots and be the big man his statistic would naturally improve as well. Does that mean he is not the "don't give a fuuck, I'll show up when I show up" player he has been at Real Madrid for years? No.

Higuain is in a team where he doesn't have to share or defer, he is the main man. Benzema is in a team where he has to defer, not just to Cristiano anymore either, but to Bale as well. This is the difference. Both have played for Real Madrid as recently as last year and Higuain has never ever played well enough for long enough to maintain his position here.

Neither player has. Both are good on form, but both are too inconsistent playing with Cristiano.

The true irony is that you actually believe that Higuain has magically improved in the couple of months from moving to Napoli in ways he couldn't the past four years at Real Madrid. You are smarter than this. When posters years ago used this same reasoning speaking of Robben, Sneijder and VDV you bashed it. Now you're co-signing it?

The facts about both:

- Higuain was here, Higuain was given many chances over a long period of time, Higuain was just inconsistent and failed on the big stages too many time.
    - Benzema is here (will be gone soon), Benzema had a horrendous start, has been shown patience and been given many chances, Benzema has been incosistent and is too nonchalant for this club.

If you put your feeling about the players aside you'll come to the conclusion both played their way out of this club. We need a new striker and both need to move on. Had either one shown true consistency instead of flashes in the pan over their stay here the discussion would be different because both on their day are good players.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #257 4x4s, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    That means we did the right thing in not buying Cavani because his performances for Napoli were at a small club and irrelevant.

Higauin took as many shots as Benzema has this season, statistically, so none of that "taking more shots than Benzema". Higuain is playing a better season than Benzema (a lot of players are). End of story.
    He even outdid Benzema in the CL in a much stronger group. Benzema has to "share more of the responsibilities" but the guy scored 1/10th of our CL goals. Higuain had a foot in 60% of all Napoli goals this season in the CL.

I can't even begin to explain how much better Higuain has been than Benzema this season. They are on a different level.

Suarez is playing better than Higuain, Higuain is playing better than Benzema. All starting strikers at their club on the highest European level. Fair comparison.

Accept defeat for once. :D

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  8. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    This is different, because we don't know how Cavani would combine with Cristiano. We know how Benzema and Higuain have though..

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oh lord, the "linking up the play" argument. :ROFLMAO:

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Uh, I never said that. If you think Suarez and Cavani would have the same output/effect on the game when they're sharing the ball with Cristiano and Bale, then I should be the one mocking you. :D

They will of course have to give a little, but can they be consistent and keep a high level of play? Maybe they can, hopefully we try one of them or another (Falcao, Lewa). One thing we know is Benzema and Higuain could not.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Cavani, Suarez, and Falcao are better players than Higuain. Higuain is currently a better player than Benzema. Something i see as no surprise.

12. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    We don't know how Cavani, Suarez, Lewa or Falcao would fit at Madrid. Maybe better, maybe worse. One thing is certain, Falcao you've been pumping has had a rough time so far.

Also the point isn't what Higuain is doing at that smaller club now, it is what we know he has done at this club in the past. The same with Benzema. I guess next year when Benzema scores one more playing for some French team or Arsenal he'll be the better player then too? Even with the different ways I have attempted to explain this, you still missing the point (even tried to jab me on linking play? huh?).

Then you guys wonder why Hendrix22 does what she does. How are you any different? She sees you guys using the same logic, so why wouldn't she? Obviously Kaka is better now then in Madrid, just look at his stats. Look at his impact.

I guess we should have kept Kaka too, right?

13. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No idea what the discussion above is as i didn't read it. Just wanted to say:

HIGUAIN > Benzema.

Minduchio, Ahmadi8, 4x4s and 1 other person repped this.
  14. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    The irony is that when Hendrix or some other posters act in this same manner people get angry and call her delusional. That's why this board is funny.

BTW, the initial point of the discussion was never who was greater than who.

15. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hendrix is a girl?

16. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I love this notion that Benzema has some otherworldly linking up abilities with Cristiano Ronaldo and Bale. LMAO. Cristiano Ronaldo is an all-time prolific goal scorer... he is everyone's first option - even when he shouldn't be. To suggest Benzema's play is somehow making Cristiano Ronaldo more of a goalscorer is pretty damn funny.

The guy is a massive disappointment. Spin whatever you want to spin.

Chinky24, Minduchio, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  17. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    This x 3.14...Boxing Day reps for you my good man :D

This argument never ceases to amaze me. It was also used heavily when we transferred Oezil, Ronaldo would never score as many goals now without him.

18. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    Here are some current league stats:

Lewandowski:

GAMES GOALS ASSISTS SHOTS
    17 11 4 67

Mandzukic:

16 10 0 35

Ribery

13 6 7 41

Aguero

15 13 4 62

Negredo

16 7 3 38

Suarez

12 19 5 77

Giroud

17 7 4 57

Higuain

16 9 4 44

Falcao

15 9 0 41

Ibra

18 15 6 90

Cavani

17 12 0 50

Diego Costa

17 19 1 57

Benzema

16 8 5 42

...and to make a point out of these numbers:

Ronaldo

16 18 4 123

I know I am stating the obvious when I say that no player will come close to replicatating the impact he had before the move to Bernabeu, but I also think that stats are not really all that relevant in this discussion. The right player for us is the one who can add more to our game. Benzema is not that guy.

19. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So statistically Benzema is not actually that worse than everyone else huh?

20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Except we actually watch him play. Which is the point you've been missing, and will continue to miss.

21. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Actually, I watched him play too. His game is just different, which is the point you keep missing.

22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    And I'll say this again, please show me examples of how he "links up the play". Educate the board in what you seem to be only seeing.

Ahmadi8 and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Now the argument isn't anything near what the initial point of the conversation was. This thread delivers.

24. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not going to do that because you will obviously find a way to belittle it, and it would therefore be a waste of time and effort.

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    You can't belittle something that does not exist.