V-Army 1941

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by ZipSix, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people were talking on the soccer capital news web boards about the FIFA 2006 video game. It seems that there are some "V-Army" banners that are actually featured in the game. I think it's pretty awesome. They've done total justice to the big yellow banner.

There's also Seba's Torcida Poland/US/Crew banner and the We Believe banner. Anyway I thought this was great, so I am cross posting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE HAVE ARRIVED!!!

That is freakin' awesome. Excellent post! Repped!

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have posted this news earlier, but I had recieved it via a text message from Crew14 and felt it was his finding, thus he should post it, not me.

Still, good shots Zipster.

4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking this way OT, but what version of FIFA is everybody playing? PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360? I have PS2 at the moment, and wonder if there is much of an improvement if I were to go get X360. Thoughts?

5. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Because it gives us someone to answer to. A supporters' club should be a supporters' club and should be autonomous.

Has the FO ever even given us anything of value? If so, was it anything that we couldn't have gotten for ourselves with a little bit of effort?

Anybody who wants neat-o goodies from the FO should click here.

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I couldn't agree more with HWF.

The only exception that I'd make to the statements he's made is the season ticket plus jersey deal. But even if section 137 were able to pull that off this season, it's still a double edged sword. It allows the FO to hang quid pro quo over your heads the entire season.

7. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I think season tickets are cheap enough this year, do people really need goodies thrown in?

8. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Anyway, how about this match or team or tournament or whatever? I've always thought it would be kind of fun to have a little 5-a-side tourney near the stadium on a matchday, or maybe just a V-Army v. Legion match or something. Just something informal and fun.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAN! Why don't WE have Fan Club ID Cards?!?!?!?!

On a more serious note:
    I can understand the reluctance to get trapped by the FO in the political game which it could become. The game of "we gave you this, so now you need to do this". However, while a majority of the things that the supporters' club should do should be autonomous, there are certain advantages that can be derived by working with the FO.

I didn't make it to Columbus last year, so I really don't know what state things are in in 137. However, if things are similar to 2004, then I will assume we haven't blossomed in size and started really filling up the section. Once we can grow the section, we will be leveraged to start working with the FO for tangable benefits.

I don't know what some of the goals are of people in 137 with regard to long-term size & function. Do we want things to be as large as the DCU or F*re sections? Do we want to get the status the Screaming Eagles has (which I believe is some sort of not-for-profit org. that allows them to do more things)? Do we want to do our own thing that's organized? Or do people just want a more casual, spontaneous, organic type of organization that just slowly increases in size and just kind of does things as they come up with limited resources and organization?

As I don't live in Columbus (or even Ohio for that matter), my involvement abilities are limited from what I would like them to be. So the onus is really upon those of you that are in the area and are there to see things work and see things happen. Granted, there is a chance that my company may relocated me to Columbus (or some part of Ohio), but I don't know if that will be this summer, next summer, or ever. If I should be relocated, I anticipate that I will be able to assist more then my current limited capabilities.

10. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh! I never thought about holding it on a matchday near the stadium. I like that idea a lot. I don't know where, precisely, would be a function spot to hold it (as I don't think most people want mudball). However, there is the added benefit that after the match/tournament that we could have people come over to the tailgate for some free water, gatorade, and other beverages of the brewed variety.

OK, I know this is probably a long shot, but what are the chances that the FO would support the Crew supporters groups holding a match on the CCS field and let us use the new extra set of lockerrooms (under the south stand, I think)? I'm thinking of a little further down the line, but I think that would be a great PR move for both sides (FO & Supporters Club). The only problem might be getting the full sized teams, rather then an nice 5 or 6 person team playing on a reduced field.

11. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KK, There was a noticable difference in 137 between 2005 and 2004.

Not in size, but in attitude. We've made great strides in eradicating the continuous chanting of profanities. Also, the gay-baiting has finally seemed to disappear.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a problem with gay dudes spanking the monkey in the stands? Man, I'm glad that's gone away, I don't need to see any male nudity when at CCS.

Zip, it's good to hear that those kind of changes are taking place. I really look forward to getting out to the games this year.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great idea. I could possibly imagine us starting around 4:30 or so and playing for an hour. Maybe we could invite everyone who used to stand in 137 and somehow work that into trying to get them to come back?

Another idea (and we'd get more people this way) might be "Section 137 v. Everyone Else" match. Try to foster relations between us and the rest of the fans, make them put aside whatever negative stereotypes still exist.

14. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 137 would get spanked, purely due to the talent pool available to the "everyone else" side.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought, they would have the potential of Hispanic Crew fans and we'd be a lot drunker than them. Bad idea.

The 137 "Current v. former" may not be a bad idea though.

16. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I was thinking more along the lines of just some informal matches outside the stadium somewhere. That way we can drink and do whatever. It'd also be easier to organize.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tailgate Soccer Invitational 2006!

18. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    This is Crew Stadium we're talking about. History would be on our side. :D

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final score: 2-0

20. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice idea but I need some audio to make it work.

Bravo! A couple other suggestions when dealing with the f*re and Section 8 in particular.

Better Dead than Red!
    Better Dean than Red!
    Who let all those Commies in?
    Better Dead than Red!

and for S8....

Public housing rejects
    Public housing rejects
    La La La La
    La La La La

I'm repping you just for the "pulling out an obscure reference" claus, kaiser.
    However my I suggest a little reworking to give it some 137 feel. I'll use some early stuff in here to (and give our young compatriots some love too.)

Break out the Gold Flags! Break out the Black!
    Call out the Legion! They've got our backs!
    Who'll give the foes hell? Who could it be?
    The soldiers of the V-Army!
    Damn Right!
    The soldier of the V-Army!

21. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a suggestion to try to turn more fans into supporters: let's target the guys who are actually in stadium.

I think if we could have a "travelling 137 band" on a couple of occasions to introduce ourselves by bopping around to the areas with other people. The group wouldn't be large, I'm thinking 7-10 tops. We'd go to a couple sections, say Hi, lead a couple of our chants (preferrably with a drum or two) tell them "If any of you guys want to here more of this this and join in, come on down to section 137." Having some literature on hand would be nice as well.

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try to turn a few into supporters via my charms. ;)

23. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron, I like the version of the B&B song. It's very good. I guess my only hesitation is that it limits it to just V-Army. I don't know if we're officially calling 137 the Northenders or what, but Northenders and V-Army have the same number of syllables, so we could change that out and just find a way to put V-Army in there along with the Legion reference. Then it would be a universal Northenders song that both groups would feel fine with singing. I think that could be very awesome. All we need is to bring a portable DVD player or something to the tailgate for all of those poor souls who aren't familiar with the children's classic of Bedknobs & Broomsticks.

As for the other song (Victory Gold, Victory Black), I'm trying to think of a way to describe it as I hear it in my head. As for tempo, it's probably just a touch slower (or about the same as) the very first verse (and slowest) of:
    Columbus Crew, ody-ody-ody-oooo. Now that there is a comparison for tempo, let me try the notes.

Vic-tor-y Gold (almost like 1st line of ody-ody-ooo, but all notes go a step down from the previous note)

Vic-tor-y Black (like above, but final note "Black" is just higher then the start of line)

Co-lum-bus Crew (same as previous, but "Crew" is a note higher then "Black")

On the Attack (same as first line)

Hope that helps explain what is stuck in my head.

24. HardestWorkingFan

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I don't see anything wrong with chants that are specific to one group or the other.

25. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggity-Giggity!