USWNT: The Pool

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Nov 10, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Since there is nothing going on til January 31, 2014, I put up a thread where those with idle time can debate the pool Sermanni has created and how it will evolve into a WWC roster.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here is the pool as best I can recall. Please add any omissions. Im not including anyone from the intial camp who was not recalled. Some players may be listed more than once.

Forwards
    Wambach
    Morgan
    Leroux
    Press
    Horan
    Rodriguez (Dec. camp)
    Hagen

Outside Mids
    Rapinoe
    O'Reilly
    Heath
    Tymrak
    Mewis

Central Mids
    Holiday
    Lloyd
    Averbuch
    Boxx
    Brian
    Brooks

Central Defender
    Ramone
    Sauerbrunn
    Engen
    Buehler
    LePeilbet (Dec. camp)

Outside Defenders
    Krieger
    O'Hara
    Dunn
    Mewis
    Klingenberg
    Cox
    Robinson
    LePeilbet (Dec. camp)

Keepers
    Solo
    Barnhart
    Loyden
    Harris
    Franch
    Naeher

37 spots, 35 players by my count. WWC roster was 21 in 2011

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    No Johnston?

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Key points for me
    1) Who is 3rd GK
    2) Of 7 defenders to u bring an extra CB or extra FB
    3) Of the 7 midfielders do u bring extra CM or AM
    4) Sorting out all those FBs

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ack!

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Central Mids
    Holiday
    Lloyd
    Averbuch
    Boxx
    Brian
    Brooks
    Johnston
    DiBernardo

Central Defender
    Ramone
    Sauerbrunn
    Engen
    Buehler
    LePeilbet (Dec. camp)
    Johnston

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Where's Ohai?
    Surely she's gotta be in the Top 35.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Has she even been to any of the full team camps? It's hard to put her on the depth chart until Sermanni calls her in.

9. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    mewis is not an outside mid quality...i think she is better in the outside back position

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

11. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming 21, there are maybe 9 spots open?

Definites
    Wambach, Leroux, Morgan, Rapinoe, O'Reilly, Holiday, Lloyd, Rampone, Sauerbrunn, Krieger, Solo, Barnhart

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think some of the Brazil invites was scouting for the December residency camp. While Rogers may be happy with Solo, Barnhart & Loyden I thing Sermanni wants all the options explored.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would add Engen, Dunn and Press to that list.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ohai gets no respect for some reason. As best I can tell she has only been called for the U23 team one time. For Ohai to get a look at this point it's going to have to be based on what she does in the NWSL.

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    maybe because her two biggest goals (NCAA and U20) were a direct result of Dunn. She's an ok "johnny on the spot" player but what else?

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I got a funny feeling about the Horan thing and Press, who pretty much has been pushed back to #4 no matter how wicked her numbers are.

17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There would be some difference between who I think should be on a 21 man squad -- and who I think Sermanni will pick. But here goes....

Forwards (4): Starters: Wambach, Morgan. Reserves: Leroux, Press. I believe Leroux and Press would be just as good as starters -- and maybe better. When you go down to a 18-man squad -- Press gets cut. unfortunately.

Mids: (7): Starters: Rapinoe, Holiday, Lloyd, O'Reilly. Reserves: Heath, Tymrak, Averbuch. Personally, I would pick Brooks rather than Averbuch.

Defenders: (7) Starters: Dunn, Sauerbrunn, Rampone, Krieger. Reserves: O'Hara, Engen, Mewis (emergency back only, also plays midfield) I'm making the assumption there that Dunn can play left back -- although Sermanni hasn't used her there to my recollection. I wonder why not? Does O'Hara have a lock on left back position? If so, I think Dunn might replace Krieger as starting right back.

Goalies: (3) Starter: Solo. Reserves: Barnhart, Naeher. I would pick Franch rather than Naeher, but I don't think Sermanni will.

There will probably be a couple of injuries which will open up opportunities for Horan, Brian, Brooks, Cox, Franch, or Loyden.

18. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Wambach, had "wicked" numbers this year in the NWSL & for the WNT, Leroux, had "wicked" numbers in the NWSL & for the WNT. Morgan has earned her spot with previous play in big tourney's and a solid season in the NWSL (winning the Championship mind you). So it's not as if Press being looked at in the 4 slot is a slight...... And at this point nothing is booked solid, form can fall off, injuries, etc.... 2015 is a ways off. For all we know it could be Press and Hagen up front......

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also wonder that going into 2014, we should be thinking of the players getting contacts, the 24 number, instead of looking out nearly two years for the WC roster. This will narrow the pool. Even without a contact, players can still be called into camps and if injuries, get on a roster for any one game, so changes for 2015 are possible which is when it counts.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    We're a year and a half away-- I don't see how one can regard Rampone and Wambach as "definite."

They may not have to win their spurs, but they surely have to keep their chops up.

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes he has-- she had a substantial appearance there within the last year or so, a game where Kreiger played the right side. She was fine there.

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So you're assuming Wambach stays for another Olympics. Travesty if Mewis makes a roster over Press, Tymrek, Kling or even Brook. Mewis isn't really a serviceable LB. I really need to know who is pulling for her. She's the last back and mid-fielder, shouldnt be in until the next cycle.

What kind of scam is Naeher? She isn't even better than Harris. Naeher is fraud #4, so they got an excess to keep Loyden at #3. Franch/Harris > Loyden > Naeher. Does Solo tell the guardian who she wants as her backups?

23. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I don't think that Mewis is a sub par player, but she just doesn't have that wow factor. When I watch her play I just feel like she's too average to be a starter for the national team. Perhaps she can make the larger roster for the 2016 Olympics, but I can't see her cracking the top 18 for the WC.

24. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I wouldn't count out Buehler or LePeilbet to make rosters. I have no idea how recovered LePeilbet is and whether she wants to come back, but I'm sure she'll get every chance. I am not a super fan of Buehler, but Sermanni has played her. I am more interested in non-injured LePeilbet, but more as a center back when one on one defending is called for. Also, I'm sure we'll have some players emerge from the next NWSL season. Also, in terms of versatility, Cox has played extensively as a central defender--I don't know if that trumps someone like O'Hara or Klingenberg who can both play in the midfield. I am not sold on Mewis yet. I liked Brooks in the Brazil game, but I also think d-mids are better with a lot of experience.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I'm assuming that Wambach stays for another World Cup. I agree that Mewis is the weakest of the top 18 -- but Sermanni seems to like her