USSF Development Academy 2.0

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Mar 22, 2012.

1. fan4futbol

fan4futbol New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Jason Kries would like to see some changes in the Reserve league set up:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsrsl/53803980-49/team-reserve-rsl-game.html.csp[/QUOTE]

Not only should they have the reserve team playing each time the first team plays, like the FMF, they should also have a U17 and a U20 team playing on the same schedule. This gives players consistent real game exposure that will help their development.

If we had a U20 league (either Academy or MLS) the U.S. would have more depth for the U20 and U23 national teams which from recent experience is sorely needed.

With the exception of the 1 or 2 DA U18 players that go pro in the U.S. or abroad, the majority of DA U18 players have few options to further their development. Most go play college soccer or disappear from the soccer scene altogether. IMO as much as I am pro education, college soccer is not the right environment to develop future national team players.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/players-to-watch/players-to-watch-archives/nid-24043

Another interesting commitment by a Development Academy star.

DCU's standout midfielder, Collin Martin, is planning on graduating from high school a year early..............and will join Wake Forest. That's where another one of DCU's standouts, Jalen Robinson, is headed.

As stated in the article:

Martin, a midfielder for the D.C. United U18 Academy team, is no stranger to playing up in age as he has done throughout his young career. 

A young player with impressive international credentials, Martin has much experience with the U.S. Youth National Team program, including a call up in the last U.S. U20 camp. He also trained last summer with German club TSG Hoffenheim and in 2008 with Manchester United.

3. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Collin and Jalen play well together with Jalen more of a holding player and Collin as an all out attacker. The two of them are clearly the two best players on DC United's under 18 team. There are a few other guys with some potential (Patrick Foss is one that comes to mind), but those two run the show.

4. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    With MLS' still underwhelming reserve league, I've been a advocate of "1 and done" for top MLS DA players. If this kid enters a year early, he could even stay an extra year before coming out as a 19 yo. Or if he is good enough still get one year of college and come out when most kids are just leaving high school.

5. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will tell you it is still hard to find the path to be a Pro here in the USA because you have these great academies like RSL that play soccer just about 11 months of the year. Then if you are not ready for the Pros at 18 which very few would be you are suppose to go off to college and get better. The problem is that although you will get physically stronger and mature and play some good soccer you will be much more limited to how much you can practice based on NCAA rules. Meanwhile the 18 year old kid in Mexico or England is playing on the reserve team or 1st or 2nd division of maybe even third division team where he lives and playing soccer everday . I think the USA still has a gap to fill from 18 to when you are ready for the MLS.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's all being built. It just takes time...............

The devepment academy in its current form is only a few years old (as is the ability of MLS clubs to sign players from those academies). The reserve league only just started up again in 2011.

8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy U-18's should be in Spain now preparing for their tournament.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/03/la-galaxy-academy-weekly-update-march-22

9. Toddsoccerdad

Toddsoccerdad Member

Oct 19, 2011
    SLC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it is on its way.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    I will be writing on the LA program for my company which is doing the trip...should have content going up on lagalaxy.com and topdrawersoccer.com. I'll also be live tweeting the match vs. Rayo Vallecano tomorrow (@adidasitp).

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Galaxy roster for this trip is…

GOALKEEPERS (2) – Juan Cervantes, Grayson Cornwell

DEFENDERS (6) – Kebe Mamadu, Oscar Sorto, Matt Tilley, Javan Torre, Jeffrey Payeras, Nathan Smith

MIDFIELDERS (5) – Grady Howe, Bryan Guzman, Drew Murphy, Willie Raygoza, Jaime Villarreal

FORWARDS (5) – Justin Dhillon, Jack McBean, Mario Rodriguez, Jose Villarreal, Sebastian Velasquez

HEAD COACH – Eddie Soto

ASSISTANT COACHES – Braeden Cloutier and Craig Harrington

TRAINER – Pablo Chung

13. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    did anyone notice that Raul mendiola is back in USA and played in LAG reserve game. what's the update on his status?

14. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he has finally been found. He played the end of the reserve game today for the galaxy against chivas. That along with him not going with the u18s to Spain would probably mean he was injured.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/04/la-galaxy-fall-4-2-chivas-usa-reserve-league-opener

edit: Whoops, above.

15. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Could be any number of things. Maybe he is outta form/shape....maybe the Gals weren't expecting him and didn't wanna change up there line-up last min (kick out a guy that has been there all season), maybe he will have trouble coming in and out of the country (really no idea here), maybe he told the Gals he is done with the DA....

This is all speculation.

17. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    The 18-21 year old gap can be filled quite easily by MLS. Allow for signings to then be loaned more easily to USL Pro or NASL as appropriate! MLS continue to pay the salary and let the kid thrive or fail. Otherwise continue to look at putting MLS teams into NASL or USL Pro.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As expected, the two new clubs accepted for the 2012-'13 DA season are the Montreal Impact and Portland Timbers: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Develo...ortland-Timbers-Join-Development-Academy.aspx

JR Eskilson tweeted that clubs in Orlando and Louisville were the last to miss the cut. My sense is that the USSDA has seriously upped the ante for new clubs to join. If we were starting the DA program today more than 1/2 of the current DA clubs would probably not be accepted.

19. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I got this feeling that at least 2 clubs going to be dropped from DA with 2 new ones coming in. just speculation bc there are some that deserved to be dropped

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Is TFC the only club not in the USSDA? Looking for them to join next year.

21. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically the Union aren't either.

22. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    They've said they prefer the CSL to the USSDA atm.

23. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
  24. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Bit surprisde Orlando didn't make it...it's quite a hotbed is it not? And has NASL/USL teams to filter into/support.

TFC will stay CSL for the foreseeable future. And they should. I can actually see MTL leaving USSDA sooner than later and joining the Quebec pro league when that league gets more established. Especially if TFCA continues to develop players as it is doing through the CSL. Why do all that travel/expense when you can get meaningful games close to home and far less cost?

25. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    there is some credence to ur claim bc he has been in NY. I am suspicious bc why would Boca J allow him to guest play if he under contract. time will tell if he shows up on tournament roster