USOC 4th Round - vs Cal FC

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by edwardgr, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    We had to give them a feeling that they were going to beat seattle then BAM :p

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. Just a bit of Sigi trying to help Wynalda's managing career like he did his playing career. :)

3. Cethe

Cethe Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, first half was kind of a sh!t show, but glad the boys came out relaxed & ready for the slaughter in the second half.

and Ozzie's golazo! wow.

4. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a strange game to have been at. The first half we looked very disorganized, and Cal was bunkered. It seemed like everytime we got posession they had 3-4 guys collapsing on our ball handler. Then Alonso buried the penalty and Cal FC could no longer afford to bunker, and suddenly everything opened up.

I will have to watch the recording tonight but from where I was standing I think the 4th goal should have been disallowed.

5. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The ref made the right decision to talk to the side ref then ultimately overruled the offsides call. From the webstream the side ref flagged Ochoa offsides but hilton said he never touched the ball. Central ref had a better view and overruled the side ref.

edwardgr repped this.
  6. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is what I saw from my vantage point, the question was never whether Ochoa made contact, but rather did he insert himself in the play. Diving towards a ball from an offside position is still offsides, had Ochoa remained stationary no problem. So now the question is was Ochoa actually offsides when the ball was struck, that is what was hard to see from my seat. Not that it would have mattered in the end but still.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the question. It kind of looked like the guy that was marking Rose might have been keeping Ochoa onside. Rose, on the other hand, was WAY offside.

8. SpassMacher2000

Jun 15, 2006
    I have to give much props to the sounders fans. I'm just watching the rerun on FSC right now and it is so impressive to see so many loud hardcore fans traveling to this little soccer field and packing the place out for a US Open Cup match. If every team had fans with the passion of the sounders fans, the MLS would be an incredible league. It makes me jealous for sure.

Cethe repped this.
  9. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't know if you can fake that kind of ""scrappy" play (as Hinton called it) - a mix of slop and crap. I was completely dismayed at the half. I got the sense that they were really trying and not making much in the way of opportunities for all their effort. It was scary to watch. Alls well that ends well I guess but the first half was not a pleasant ride. What do we learn from it? How do we apply that going forward?

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not bump 4 year old threads, particularly with unrelated information.

Yoshou repped this.