USMNT WCQ 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Heft, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have no dog in this fight, and even if the match was re-played, the USMNT would defeat Costa Rica.

I saw the weather conditions and it was not an ordinary match. There may be a case here to at least punish the referees. I think that the match should've been postponed.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    yeah, my point was it doesn't matter what we think (as I agree with you) in this case it is a matter of were the playing conditions illegal and I don't think the answer is yes.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They want to replay what was probably the best argument against those ********s that call soccer a p**** sport? That makes sense.

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i think you can make an argument that the markings not being visible is suffient. heck, its hard enough to ref a game on a clear day. i can only imagine what its like to determine whether something is a goal or corner kick when the lines are not visible. the good news is that i don't think there was a wrong call due to visibility in the game and that's why it shouldn't be replayed, but i think its suffient to prove that the game should of not been played in the first place.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half the markings were fine. So delay the second half and plow it. Ref thought it was OK to see.

This is all a bitchfest about nothing and the usual soccer nerds and their "laws of the game" citations. Crap gets thrown on US players all the time and I don't see other nations' fans complain. Batteries flying at players is a lot more dangerous than an obscured touch line.

6. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how many extracurriculars the Ticos got away with because the refs had poor visibility, and there were "fouls" against the US on damn near every American corner kick, I find it really hard to believe the visitors didn't benefit from the snow. One a clean field, they would have finished that game with 9 men, even with a Central American officiating crew.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  7. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I hate the Ticos because they cry quite a bit.

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    guilty as charged!

but "you don't want the truth because deep down in places that you don't talk about at tailgates, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall."

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    what would of happen if the US would of lost the game 0-1 under the same conditions?

10. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Ticos would keep their mouth shut unless you are talking about the US then its their fault for not taking advantage can't complain about that. Not that hard to say much.

But logic changes per results so... Can't say.

11. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't. It's a moot point. You might as well tell me about how Brazil wouldn't have won those World Cups without Pelé or how well Mexico would have done in 1990.

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    unfortunately, not yet. not until FIFA rules on the protest. which is what irks me the most.

13. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually looks like it should be.

From various sources on twitter, Clint Dempsey confirms that there was no protest from Costa Rica's captain after the match, a requirement to file a protest to FIFA.

14. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    The president of UNCAF is also giving support to CR.

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* and Heft repped this.
  16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And back to the Costa Rica game, the conditions affected both teams equally. The US was hoping for cold weather, they thought that might be to their advantage, but once the snow started to fall neither team had an advantage. And the lines were clearly visible at all times and never mattered during the game. I really thought both teams played remarkably well given the conditions. The game should not be replayed.

17. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant specifically asking whether the US would react differently if they had lost.

It'll be interesting to follow the appeal, but whether the US actually would have challenged the result is meaningless for two reasons. The US did not lose, and if FIFA asks about the hypothetical you proposed, Jurgen (or whoever is asked) will just say that the conditions were adequate and the result has no effect on USSF's opinion. There's no way to really prove otherwise.

18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    CONCACAF is full of fail. The decision to play in the snowstorm is typical CONCACAF ineptitude.

*rey* repped this.
  19. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I find it silly watching Jorge Ramos y us Banda talking about the "beautiful" game etc. when you have people involved in fix games...

20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yup and that's all i'm debating here, ineptitude of the CONCACAF official and the ref. for those who missed it in my earlier posts, i do NOT want this game replayed. i thought Bill Archer had a good take. i've seen some of these "officials" in action at the buffet line in press boxes before. :D

https://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/bil...rious-costa-rica-will-ask-fifa-for-a-do-over/

of course, i also have a low opinion on Joel Aguilar since i eyewitnessed his Mexico-Panama debacle/riot in Houston first-hand. dude get's over his head very easily.

Heft repped this.
  21. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I have low opinion on all refs so far this hex has had bad officiating.

*rey* repped this.
  22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the guy reffing that game? That was such a trip. One of my favorite games I've ever attended...in that car crash sorta way.

23. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    If they do replay this game (they won't) they damn well better leave Brad Davis and every Houston Dynamo player out of it.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You could, but you would need to argue successfully that the lines were not visible, and then very likely have to prove it created an issue at some point. From the TV angle, while it got bad in the second half, I could always see the lines or at least the shovel marks which conceivably were directly over the lines. Also, I don't remember when there was an issue with visibility, lines included.

Listen, I think it should have been called before the game based on the forecast and the fact the snow had started. I also think it should have been abandoned in the second half. But it wasn't, and as a question of legal playing conditions I think CR would have an issue proving the point considering the lack of controversy and the fact the referee team will likely state they could see just fine.

*rey* repped this.
  25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo