USMNT WCQ 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Heft, Feb 4, 2013.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally like the approach of the new look. The only other thing that I'd like to see would be some mention of "US Soccer" or "USSF" or something along those lines to make it clear to people who have no idea what you're wearing (most of humanity) that it's some sort of US soccer gear. But that's a bit of a nitpick. Overall, it's a good idea for a look. I really wish they'd keep it for several years so that US national soccer teams could develop a consistent, instantly recognizable look. Unfortunately, the USSF has seemed committed over the years to the idea that US national teams should never have a consistent look.

2. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good opportunity for USSF to rebrand at the end of the year if you ask me. The new look is alright, but I would really like to see a red jersey become a mainstay at any rate.

cfig repped this.
  3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found out that Tim Howard is out for the upcoming qualifiers. I'd link but I'm not sure it is necessary -- all over soccer news sites.

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd imagine it goes Howard/Guzan/Rimando/Hamid/Franklin/Hall.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yep, Fabian Johnson may also be out depending on the severity of his hip injury. Castillo is out with a broken face (yes, broken FACE), Cherundolo is out, Lichaj and Parkhurst don't play...Boca is doing who knows what in the bottom of the 2nd division in Spain.

So, you could say our backline is a biiiiiiiit thin.

Time to call up Corey!

Levy2k6 and Heft repped this.
  6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Sean Franklin is a keeper now?!

Haha :D But no, I know you meant Johnson. generally I agree with that depth chart.

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I meant Johnson from the Fire.
    In my opinion, Hall should be above Hamid and Johnson, but I'm a bit biased.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The injury to Castillo may not be as bad as originally diagnosed, luckily.
    It's going to slow him down though, as you could imagine, but there's a chance that he'll be back soon, not that it matters with Johnson being favored. We'll see who'll be back first.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    If I were Klinsmann I would skip Guzan and goto Rimando or Johnson. Not a fan of Guzan at all.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's been on fire this year in the EPL and is definitely better than Johnson. I wouldn't mind Rimando, though. I wasn't a fan of Guzan in the past but he's been getting tons of praise in England lately.

11. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree, generally speaking Hall doesn't make the dumb mental mistakes we've seen from both Hamid and Johnson.

I'm a fan of Guzan as well and am not worried about him back there, the backline is definitely a concern though.

12. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave Hall out of this! He does not belong in the Usmnt! Ok Ok he does but I know once he becomes a regular there we lose him. :(

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If we lose Hall, we'll still have Tyler Deric. He's pretty good too.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  14. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right i'm just being greedy. Although it would be cool to have our first Dynamo Academy Graduate to be our starting goalkeeper.

redinthemorning and Heft repped this.
  15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...ine-jones-haters-you-will-soon-get-your-wish/

While not a Jones hater, nor an proponent, I think that this opens the door for some speedy wing play with a player like Corona or Shea. El Tri is in a depression right now, and a result at Azteca for Americans would be pretty amazing. I think that the team looked better without the Germans in Colorado, and hope that the old scrappy mentality is back. Put some Liga MX players in that are used to playing in the altitude of Mexico.

cfig and troutseth repped this.
  16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  17. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    if you go by the letter of the law that game should have been suspended and Costa Rica has a right to appeal. that being said, i do NOT want this game replayed because of the precedent it would set for future contreversial games.

btw, i keep hearing something repeated over and over again among US fans that is incorrect. the Costa Ricans did not want to continue when the 55th minute stoppage occurred. if you watched the Spanish broadcast the onfield reporter that was a couple of feet from the discussion did mention that CR players were urging Joel Aguilar to stop the game. the CR manager also complained to the 4th official the entire match about the conditions. there were also tweets from the stadium that the visibility became a problem in the 2nd half of the game.

i do not believe this to be a case of sour grapes w/the Costa Ricans but a valid appeal. i just hope that FIFA gets it wrong again and rejects the appeal.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree. I think the US has a strong chance of getting burned badly on the wings, if they play their typical formation. Beasely, Shea and Corona could help slow down the speedy Mexican wingers.

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Rey that CR has a valid argument and should make the appeal, but also that FIFA should deny it. The decision to continue or not was solely that of the refs and he decided to play on. At the time I kept thinking poor Ticos, they've never seen conditions like that, but I read later that 4 or 5 of them play in Scandinavia so I guess probably some of them have. Probably more than most of the Americans. The conditions didn't favor either team. The time frame probably was in the back of everyone's mind, with the next game so soon for both teams, but the same thing happened with the Scotland / Russia game. It was cancelled twice and will have to be replayed at some date in the future. And that won't be easy to do. Another question I had about the game, why did they have yellow balls instead of orange ones? I know they had orange ones when they were preparing for the Colorado game a couple of weeks ago that eventually was postponed. Does FIFA just carry around yellow balls for some reason but not orange ones? Couldn't they have used the MLS ones?

21. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I read that Nike doesn't have an orange ball, so they had to use yellow.

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i forgot to add that regardless of the snow accumulation in Denver the ball still played better than the turf in Seattle.

Dynamo_Forever, brahmafutbol and Levy2k6 repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on El Tri boy, if Costa Rica gets a draw no way there is a protest. Of course it is sour grapes. You probably also believe George Bush blew up the levees during Katrina.

I have two words for Costa Rica fans bitching - Peter Prendergast. You didn't mind it when he stole a game from the US years ago, not going to feel for Joel Aguilar playing thru a snowstorm.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The only think I will argue is there truly is no "letter of the law" in this case. FIFA guidelines define a set of requirements for the game to be played. The two most likely in play here will be the visibility and the player safety. Hard to make an argument for player safety as it was one of the cleanest CONCACAF games ever player. If the ref and his ARs contend they could see fine; I doubt this gets a second look from FIFA; particularly since there were no controversial calls as a result of the weather.

cfig repped this.
  25. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    if you're trying to say my opinion is biased, that's just not true.

there was an offsides goal in the Mexico - Argentina 2010 Round of 16 game that affected the game. the South African stadium operator replayed the goal thinking it was legitimate but instead displayed an offsides non-legit goal. the Mexicans players urged the Italian ref crew to look at the replay (and they did!) on the scoreboard. the refs then convened to discuss the goal and let it stand even though they saw video evidence to the contrary.

i'm a football tradionalist, i would rather my team lose (even in the World Cup) than have a ref crew influenced by a scoreboard video replay. the integrity of the rules and the game matter to me more than my team. sometimes they work for you and sometimes they work against you, but that's how the game works.

PS - George W. Bush is thought of well in my family. my mom even met him at a ceremony when he was govenor as we have close family friends that were campaign supporters and fellow ticket coatriders. FAIL! :D