USMNT vs. The Samba Dancers, 5/30/12 6:00 PM MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, May 27, 2012.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, bunker bob...
    the same guy who got a 2 goal lead against Brazil and Mexico.

his issue wasn't pushing forward, it was being composed enough to hold a lead

The Klinnsman doctrine seems to be that we'll use our outside backs and center mids to build. our wings and forwards are who do the scoring. No boom ball, possession with purpose.

It's nothing revolutionary, but it's not something you'd typically see from the US under someone like Arena. Bradley sort of did it, but didn't go talk to every army brat in Germany to convince him to pick US over Germany

2. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Interesting how Gregg Popovich's "nasty" remarks have been very 'pro' in the media, while JK's "nasty" remarks have been very 'con' in the media. But I do agree with JK, time to man up and not take shit. Loved when Dempsy gives the running your mouth motion to the Brazilian back and then clocks him on a header.

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm pretty sure bradley never did it. bradley's mantra was to sit back and take it for 87 out of the 90 minutes and hope to spring a counter. ya, it worked, sometimes. but most of the time it was hold on for dear life. i'm not going to sit here and say that i didnt enjoy beating spain 2-0 and going up on brazil 2-0, in the end. BUT, i hated those games from a tactical perspective. they warranted nothing more than a cute pat on the head from the soccer world, oh thats cute, the US caught a couple soccer giants off guard.

the bob bradley way of soccer is something that should be burned forever. it's ugly, it relies on speculative attempts and catching your opponents off guard.

klinnsman is just trying to establish a foundation. get the damn ball at your feet, you cant do anything in this game chasing the ball. get the ball, work it around, stay composed and make the ball do all the work. listen, the US is MAYBE a top-25 team right now, probably low 20's, results like those against Brazil (a legit top-5 team) are to be expected right now. on any other day the game ends 6-5 with Brazil winning, but it is what it is. against everyone else in our region, save mexico, we should be bitch slapping them though. play like we did against scotland and we should qualify easily for the 2014 Cup. it sucks that our central defense, once a very strong point, has become the weakest area of the team. but you can see that klinnsman recognizes that and is trying to tactically align the team to minimize it. he's just got to figure out what the best player is to use in that area for each game.

you could see klinnsman idea for making bradley the #6 and pushing edu forward, bradley is more capable of jumpstarting the attack for the US and we needed someone who could quickly gather the ball from the back four and move it forward. bradley tried, but we were A) playing against freaking brazil, and B) utitlizing edu as the central midfielder to get the ball. edu is garbage, flat out a pile of crap. he's barely serviceable as a #6 against shite teams. and bradley is more of #8 than a #6, he just isnt disciplined enough to be the shield in front of the central defense. the plan was there, but executing that properly against a team like brazil was always going to be a near impossible task.

finally, if asking every army brat in germany to play for the US yields us some more Fabian Johnson's, or hopefully a chandler, than we need to be doing it MORE. bradley was awful at identifying areas/players outside his favorite top-20 list and would have never reached out to the areas that klinnsman has so far.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone remember the first attempt at getting German Americans? Not Thomas Dooley, but a guy called DotCom. Actually I can't remember which of the Steve Sampson finds was DotCom, David Wagner or Michael Mason. All I know is they both stunk.

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I threw it out I'd define "The Klinnsman Doctrine" as a philosophy of attacking soccer based upon superior fitness levels, speed, aggression, and an accommodating climate of creative freedom and belief in the individual players.

We saw Germany exhibit this in the World Cup, and we're seeing the US evolve towards becoming a similar beast.

6. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved all the thoughts in this thread. Rep to all!!!

7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this means the US gets to the semi-final;)

8. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Mexico 1-0. Mexico is playing very 'nasty' and pushing Brazil around.

9. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    2-0 Mexico on a PK

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I find it ironic when Mexicans complain about bunker ball when their doing exactly that today.

11. ollikiel

ollikiel Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is somewhat related here, anyone know a bar in SLC that will have people watching the USA vs Canada game?