USMNT: Identity Lost

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take your own advice. The only goal that was on Bornstein alone was the 1st one. The 2nd one he got beat but his teammates should have been able to clean it up.

The 3rd and 4th goals Bornstein did his job. Not to mention whose choice was it for Bornstein to be on the roster?

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sure, another 4 years of another 4 years. Most of us were curious to see if JK could help manufacture this change. Maybe he still can. Maybe these are just the growing pains. We play like crap as we learn to win together then hit the momentum button at the exact right moment going into the WC.

We can all see this eventuality, but I'm nervous we wont make it.

I think Dom would be great. He does it with Houston every year...but can't we access that any point? Jason Kreis, DK, etc, they are all in the mix for next rotation.

3. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly. One failure in the Bob Bradley era was that he couldn't find full use of Jose Torres. The stretches of time away in CONCACAF when you thought we were going to break could have been avoided by using Jose to help us get a foothold in the game.

[​IMG]

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    In principle, what you are saying isn't off-base. That said, it is important to have some perspective as well and pain the entire picture.

Howard didn't do us any favors that day. At least one goal could very easily be called "soft".

The Cherundolo injury had more to do with that loss than Bradley's tactics.

It didn't help that some questionable red cards forced the coach to use the same guys more than he probably would have under normal conditions. It certainly doesn't help when you only play a grand total of 90 minutes at full strength in your first two games, and then have one of your top 3 players (MB) suspended for the final after being sent off in the semis.

5. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Perfect idea. Why don't we just hire Dominic Kinnear as an assistant coach for Juergen to help with this initial overhaul? Then Juergen at one point hands the position over to Dominic, a guy who is well-respected by pretty much all of American soccer.

Sounds good to me...

6. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Anyone with any common sense at all knows that change will ONLY happen at the youth development level. Blowing up the national team and trying to change the current player pool into something it isn't was a fools errand.

As a technical director, sure. Lets bring in a guy with a philosophy. As a national team coach, it was doomed to fail from day 1.

I think they are in the mix in the next couple of months to be honest. We'll be lucky to be sitting on 1 point through our first 3 games, with another away match in game #4.

The next two games could very well determine the direction of the US National team for the next 6 years.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yeah, exactly what I mentioned in my OP, I think. Too lazy to check back.

@ GVPatwhatever Cherundelo goes out and the entire US game plan falls apart? Please. Bob got extremely greedy. All he had to do was hold up the sign: REMEMBER SPAIN.

And dont get me started on Howard. I have been calling for Guzan BEFORE he was starting for Aston Villa. For which I was roasted in the Guzan thread. Guzan is among the best goal keeperers in the EPL right now. No one means more to his team.

8. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I feel like it could have at least shaved a goal off, as well as helped us threaten more down the flank. Bedoya really wasn't an offensive weapon so much as a player who could get through the running that a guy like Salcido was going to force, so Cherundolo not being on the right hurt quite a bit.

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Yeah, you're right. Soccer happens entirely in a vacuum, so losing an incredibly vital cog in your team at a position that was razor thin to begin with probably had no impact at all on the rest of the team.

Brilliant analysis again on your part.

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    What were our other options? Seriously. Feel free to answer this one. I can't wait.

11. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Wait, are you saying we're incredibly thin at RB?

12. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    During the 20011 Gold Cup, we were incredibly think at fullback in general.

Timmy Chandler had rejected a call up for the tournament because he was tired and Fabian Johnson wasn't on the radar yet. He made a whopping 6 appearances for Wolfsburg in the 2010/11 season leading up to the Gold Cup.

That left us with Cherundolo, Lichaj, Spector and........you get the picture. Spector's form had been suspect heading into that tournament as well.

Tim Ream was coming off of a God awful year in MLS and Gooch was a shell of his former self, meaning Bradley couldn't use Bocanegra at left back like he had done in the past.

There is a reason why Lichaj was playing left back that entire tournament. But when Cherundolo goes down, Bob had to make a choice. Move Lichaj to the right and bring on a suspect Bornstein or leave Lichaj out left and bring on a suspect Spector. That was it.

He brought on Bornstein and Mexico immediately changed tactics and attacked almost exclusively down his flank. And before halftime even struck, Mexico had evened the score.

And even still, the US nearly came back in that game, hitting the post on what would have made the game 3-3 at the time (I think I remember that correctly). Then Tim Howard decides to play Red Rover in the 18 allowing Dos Santos to make him look like a fool and the score ends up 4-2.

But yeah, Sam is probably right. Losing Cherundolo had nothing at all to do with the final outcome of that game.

13. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The glossing over of what actually happened in the 2011 GC final has to stop. It's as if people think painting over Bradley's mistakes helps validate their criticism of JK. First, we did not have to put Bornstein on, imo this was a mistake considering how Mexico was lined up. Anyway, before our second goal Mexico had already began having some success exploiting our outside backs pushing up. Being up only 1-0 at this point I can understand our outside backs pushing up, we needed another goal. We go up 2-0 in the 23rd, our outside backs are still bombing forward and Mexico is 'still' looking very dangerous exploiting the flanks. Mexico scores in the 29th, no new instructions come in, our outside backs are still playing very aggressively. If there was ever a time to bunker and reset, this was it. Nothing changes and Mexico tied it up before the half. The rest is history as they say.

I am being honest.

14. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    haha, I need to start looking further back. I didn't even realize you guys were talking about the GC. I was going to say the depth at RB right now is deepest of any position we have.

Pardon my ignorance.

15. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Except for the part about Cherundolo going down in the 11th minute, which was the game changer.

All the "success" that Mexico had on the flanks happened after Chernundolo went down.

And the US did make adjustments and were unlucky to not tie the game @ 3-3 in the second half.

I don't agree with bringing on Bornstein. If you go back to the post game threads of that game, I make that VERY clear. But it takes a pretty harsh critic to simply ignore the Cherundolo injury and put that loss entirely on "bad tactics" by Bradley.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    RB is easiest position to fill for the USMNT. Going back 25 years. If Bob chooses to have no credible RB and instead decides to bring in a left back who has been questionable all cycle because he was a converted LM, then ok. Bob was brilliant. He made the right choices forevermore.

had you said LB ok. Had you said CB. Ok, but freaken RB? The fact that JK is using Parkhurst at RB is equally as idiotic. Might as well start 4 CBs and 4 dmids.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst just made his BL1 debut at RB after leading his league with 7 assists before the winter break from you guessed it the RB slot.

18. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England has spent tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds, over the past thirty years trying to produce "Brasilian" kids at all their new academies and coaching centers. Every englishman agreed in 1980 that change was needed at every level.....yet nothing has changed. Why?

IMHO the first reason is that it is impossible to coach genius (where is the teacher of Shakespeare, DaVinci, Maradona, Beetoven?).....a child either has the internal soccer gyroscope or he does not. Second is what happens to geniuses in a uptight strictly hierarchical society like England. They are under constant pressure to conform, to not try tricks, to get "stuck in", and play simple balls. I wonder how many frustrated future Rooneys left the game at an early age?

Luckily, the USA couldn't standardize youth soccer development if we tried. The country is too vast and the population too large, and too diverse. I am very bullish regarding our youth development for the very reason so many here are demanding change: we don't have a national youth system that is highly structured.

Of all the big footballing nations only Brasil can match our population size and diversity, and our children already look equally/if not more creative and skilled at the u-15 to u-20 level. My fond hope is that nothing changes at the youth level.....and that our kids continue to have the freedom to develop at their own speed in their own way.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    great. at Concacaf level they will step over, dumby, burst by him. He doesnt have the speed.

20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Who were our other right back options heading into the 2011 Gold Cup?

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Amazing. Didn't realize that today was February 11th 2011, which is the whole context of this conversation.

TheNearPost repped this.
  22. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful work, completely ignoring the part where you get called out for making up facts. Come on you give Klinsmann no excuse for his player pool so why should Bradley get excused?

Oh but to play your game, 3 weeks later we trotted out Edgar Castillo and only gave up 1 goal to the same team. Also maybe someone like a Heath Pearce, Zac Lloyd, or Jon Spector were better options.
    Or Bocanegra could have been moved out wide and you could bring in another cb. The fact is he had options available. He choose Bornstein which was clearly the wrong choice

But hey keep pointing your finger and claiming everyone else is revising history. You don't like Klinsmann we get it

23. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I'm fairly certain my 8th grade English teacher, was probably Shakespeare's teacher.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    What did I make up? And I'll post the same question to you, since you are clearly a savant.

Who were our RB options headed into the 2011 Gold Cup. Or better yet, who were our fullback options in general headed into that tournament?

Yeah, that was all Edgar Castillo. :rolleyes:

25. MI-Soccerfan

MI-Soccerfan Member+

Jan 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well according to you it was all bornstein for the 4 goals they scored 3 weeks earlier. Btw that was the part you made up. Because not all the goals were on him or were caused by his mistakes.