USL v NASL - Who will prevail in 2011?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ckh1, Mar 9, 2010.

1. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    so much for the International Division.

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet both San Antonio and Tampa would be lucky to have their teams half as long as Richmond has.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    only 315 fans for the opening game, this does not look very promising

4. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I think Tampa will be okay. they got a good fanbase. San Antonio is a wait and see. Its the same with the new USL clubs.

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Richmond at least seems like they have something to work with. The Puerto Rico teams on the other hand are already on the right track to proving they are a farce.

Let's give it a few weeks though. you know, just to be fair. :D

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone seriously believes that the Puerto Rico teams will last that long.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    IMHO, I don't think that nationwide pro soccer makes much sense for these teams

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If River Plate can only get 315 for a rival from across the island, how many are going to show up for Wilmington? This whole International Division thing has looked doomed from the day they announced it. Guess we'll all sit and watch as the games go on and the attendance numbers roll in. For anyone that cares to play along, somewhere in the earlier stages of this thread I think I predicted that at least two of the USL Pro clubs that started the 2011 would not be in place to start the 2012 season. I sure hope it doesn't wind up being too much worse than that.....

10. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Welcome to real Puerto Rican soccer, if you thought the Islanders were bad at organization, you haven't seen anything yet! River has half of it squad stuck in Argentina do to visa issues. Sevilla is missing it coach and the Islanders actually had to lend them our GK coach until their real coach gets here. I don't even know what the hell is United up to! Oh yeah did I mention Sevilla just started training less than a week ago. None of the three teams stadium are completed and the only reason Sevilla can play in its field is because theres a baseball stadium with locker rooms they can use right next door, construction hasn't started yet on the stadium expansions. River stadium is just starting construction and United stadium, the city hasn't fixed the problems that got it disqualified as a Central American Games venue last year. Both River and United are playing in in Carolina, in Islanders territory. Atleast an hour from Fajardo (River) and almost two from Aguada(United). The stadium is a new baseball stadium with very hard turf, which is prone to cause injuries during soccer matches.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    So the USSF sets pretty high standards for Div 2 soccer and more or less NO standards for Div 3 ? What a bunch of hypocrites and clowns

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to set standards, asap. Otherwise the clusterfudge that is the USL is only going to keep stagnating. Or worse.

edit: besides, it'd be nice to know that when the NASL fails FCTB has a quality league to fall back on :D

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    For Div 3, also pretty high standards please !

14. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be the one to suggest that neither of these two league systems will "prevail." Lower division fanbases will grow in ways we can't now foresee. Give it a few years and a meaningful number of fledgling clubs will demonstrate some sort of sustainable attendance in business terms.

I figure we'll have a NASL/USL/NPSL stew for about 3-4 years. Given that span of time it's reasonable to imagine that 8-12 clubs might emerge with the ability to draw, say, a minimum of 2K attendance even on a bad day and become semi-stable financially. I'm suggesting that once we get at least 8-12 clubs capable of that kind of fanbase they will inevitably be drawn to one another regardless of the league where they originated. They will come together as the power brokers to scrap the existing lower division systems and create a new one in their own interests. They will do it because time will make it clear to them that they collectively represent the only realistic business opportunity available to one another. Once enough fanbases emerge of that minimal level, those team owners will be the ones to shape a new division 2 in some kind of permanent way. They will not need the NASL or the USL or the NPSL to do it. They'll just do it themselves.

My crystal ball sees it happening by mid-decade. (in my dreams) :cool: :p

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um ya, that system already exists. It is called the NASL. ;)

seriously though, if the NASL hangs on and becomes fully sanctioned I can see them siphoning off the cream of the crop from the USL over the coming years. I only see what you've described happening if the NASL either fails to attract new teams or somehow loses sanctioning for other reasons.

The argument that in 4 years, or however long, the best of the best from the lower divisions will try to form yet ANOTHER league doesn't make any sense. If the NASL is still around in 4 years it will be because it is stable, has expanded to beyond 10 or 12 teams and would have zero reason to break down that structure for yet another experiment.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in 2012 USLPRO > NASL.

At least in the US Open Cup.

head to head; USL 1 - NASL 0.

3 USLPRO teams in the quarterfinal, zero NASL teams in the quarterfinals. :(

17. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Congrats to Charlotte, we'll have to see if NASL can tie it up in head to head action against the USL Pro's Antigua in the Carribean Club Championship if the final teams are Puerto Rico Islanders and Antigua - hope thats the matchup for the final.

18. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Pretty much meaningless to the actual quality of the leagues. But it shuts up WSW for a year, so it is all good. :D

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll just change the point of attack.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey do not hate; 2013 NASL vs. NASL Open Cup Final, you heard it here first. ;)

21. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOLY THREAD NECROMANCY, BATMAN!!!

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    what the sounders are moving down to nasl.

23. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Islanders beating Barracuda 2-0, if the score hold NASL will be tied will USL on head to head games.

ceezmad repped this.
  24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NASL > USL Pro in 2012 Caribean Club Championship. Not the final as both Antigua and Puerto Rico didn't make it, but they played for 3rd place today and a birth in the Concacaf Champions League and NASL's Puerto Rico Islanders beat the USL-Pro's Antigua 2-0!

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that will be his talking point for the next year or so.